Quantcast

Gravity EAST - Seven Springs, PA

Sep 9, 2004
richmond, va
I'm trying to put together my FIRST downhill race schedule and need some info.

I'll be racing both the Snowshoe and Diablo series, but might want to add the race at Seven Springs, PA (part of Gravity East I believe) if it's any fun. Anyone raced there? I've seen YouTube videos of the park, but would like some info about the race in particular.

Thanks!

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
The last time 7springs had a DH race was in the mid 90's. Their new park opened to the public mid/late last season with only a few trails. Supposedly they are going to be expanding greatly. Hopefully being part of the GES will help put them on a Map.

I grew up about an hour from there and snowboarded there throughout highschool. From what I've seen of their old courses from the 90's, they've got the potential to hold a World Cup DH race (proximity to major int'l airport - ~2hrs, facilities to host the event, and the terrain - only questionable factor is elevation change [about 750' IIRC])

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
I'm coming from Richmond, VA. All the races will be a bit of a drive for me.
like Jonkranked said, the "mountain" is small compared to the other venues the Gravity East series will be held at.
its not as far as some of the other mountains to you, so its a tough one to call on whether to go to or not

tfree120

Chimp
Jun 11, 2007
Towson
It does look like 7springs has a couple fun trails. Just got back from skiing there and right under the high speed lift there is a trail with some table jumps, big burms, and tight single track. All features that diablo has though.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
It does look like 7springs has a couple fun trails. Just got back from skiing there and right under the high speed lift there is a trail with some table jumps, big burms, and tight single track. All features that diablo has though.
But it doesn't have New Jersey attached to it either...

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
7springs has a LOT more room for trail expansion than Diablo. I'm talking easily 5-6 times as much, if not more (also, from talking to some of the guys involved in it, the new resort owners seem pretty keen on expanding the mtb program as a means of generating summertime revenue). It also has MUCH better resort attached to it. And it doesn't have the waterpark crowd.

Keep in mind, the trails that currently exist were kind of an experiment. As I mentioned, the new owners would be willing to support a much larger MTB trail network, they just want to make sure it would be worth the investment before they start blazing a few dozen trails.

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
I raced at Seven Springs back in 1999 for the Norba National. Definitely a nice facility. The Pro-Ex course back then was arguably a bit weak... the Sport course was fun... Good to hear they're interested in mtn biking again.

Part of the problem with DH courses there is the good terrain is on the back side of the mtn - away from the lodge... I also rode the XC course, which went down the back side... seemed like more of an elevation change. FWIW, the XC courses (the different classes actually all raced on slightly different courses) were very good.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
yea that's what I seem to recall also, the elevation change and good terrain is on the backside.

But on the main face they could host a hell of a slopestyle event!!

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
Yeah, I think I might sit it out then. Nine races in my first season should be enough. Diablo and Snowshoe should keep me busy. Thanks for the info!
You sgould give Plattekill a try and skip a Diablow race. It is not much farther North than Diablow. plattekill GE race is in October

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Diablo has cool race courses, but the lack of association with any race governing body results in LOTS of sandbagging by kids who mainly want to win and get free parts.

edit: this also means that if you are racing with a USCA (norba) license and trying to move up, your results at any Diablo event do not count towards this.

Last edited: