Quantcast

Gravity in Pisgah

Eyedfy

Chimp
May 22, 2006
ATL
Anybody got the wurd on some good gravity runs, maybe a shuttle situation either in Pisgah or DuPont? We'll be riding 6" bikes, so we're not looking for the major gnarr. Just some good tech and flow.

Eyedfy

Chimp
May 22, 2006
ATL
OB1, Ranger Olive Kok has been replaced by Amanda Hugginkiss, and their shuttle's been turned into a Pride float last seen in the vicinity of midtown Atlanta.

Any other thots, Bizutch?

lol

greengreer

Monkey
Apr 27, 2008
NC
if you make it up to wilsons i could be trying to get a shuttle situation going on, depends on when though...

steve owens

Chimp
May 22, 2008
Hendersonville,N.C.
Pedal yer ass up to Farlow Gap Trail
That's the truth. One of the best downhills in Pisgah. I guess you could shuttle farlow, but you would still have a bit of climbing and pushing in between downhill sections. Possibly Bennett Gap, but the last time out there(last week) the fireroad was still closed due to a landslide.Probably the easiest trail to shuttle in all of pisgah.

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Possibly Bennett Gap, but the last time out there(last week) the fireroad was still closed due to a landslide.Probably the easiest trail to shuttle in all of pisgah.
You can reach to the top of Bennet with an easy climb off of 276, but then the "Shuttle" becomes longer.

It is much better if you just do the point to point of Bennet to Black to Sycamore

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/15053694

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
OB1, Ranger Olive Kok has been replaced by Amanda Hugginkiss, and their shuttle's been turned into a Pride float last seen in the vicinity of midtown Atlanta.

Any other thots, Bizutch?

lol
If you're newbie, right about now is your last change to shuttle Heartbreak. It's not burly, but it's lots of gravity for a long time. :thumb:

Eyedfy

Chimp
May 22, 2006
ATL
If you're newbie, right about now is your last change to shuttle Heartbreak. It's not burly, but it's lots of gravity for a long time. :thumb:
Sounds about what we're looking for. Last time, I brought the Stinky up and pretty much pushed up Black Mtn. Looking to bring the Heckler and do a bit more all-mtn that favors the downhillz.

Thanks for all the responses.:thumb:

Would Heartbreak be do-able, say, Nov. 21st weekend?

Agras

Chimp
Jun 23, 2008
Anyone doing any Pisgah shuttling Sunday-Tuesday? I've got a Jeep Cherokee that can fit a few bikes. Otherwise I've got $ for gas.

NCrider5

Chimp
Jul 9, 2008
Asheville NC
Can someone briefly explain how to get to the shuttle drop off for bennet gap?
and is it worth the shuttle? i always pass the lower trail head before i pedal up clawhammer to BLMTN but ive never gone up it before.

bradical

Monkey
Dec 9, 2003
G-Vegas SC
and is it worth the shuttle? i always pass the lower trail head before i pedal up clawhammer to BLMTN but ive never gone up it before.
As of Sunday that road was closed due to washouts from heavy rain in the area lately.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
and is it worth the shuttle?
Not in my opinion. You spend more time in a truck on a crappy gravel road than you do riding your bike.
It is fun to do as a point to point ride though. If you leave a car at the bottom of black mountain trail and drive on the pavement to the top of the gravel road that Bennet is on. Then pedal to the start of Bennet Gap.
At the bottom, climb up from the horse stables and hit Black Mountain back to your car. Or if you want to ride a little longer, you can hit up Sycamore Cove after Black Mountain.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
From the pics in the NC forum on MTBR.com, access to the top of Bennett via the horse stables won't be happening at all this year. I can't see the Forest Service getting that one done before spring.

As for Heartbreak, to make sure that section of the parkway is open, google the Ranger Station in McDowell County (Woodlawn/Marion) and ask during weekdays. I'd like to do Heartbreak this Sunday if anybody else wants.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Not in my opinion. You spend more time in a truck on a crappy gravel road than you do riding your bike.
It is fun to do as a point to point ride though. If you leave a car at the bottom of black mountain trail and drive on the pavement to the top of the gravel road that Bennet is on. Then pedal to the start of Bennet Gap.
At the bottom, climb up from the horse stables and hit Black Mountain back to your car. Or if you want to ride a little longer, you can hit up Sycamore Cove after Black Mountain.
Sycamore is the beez neez! Such an awesome finish to a trip down Black Mountain.....assuming a person's head isn't swimming likes ours were that first time we tried it after BM & Thrift Cove. Rode it shortly after that first try thinking "that's one burly trail" and realized maybe I was just wiped out from an epic ride. :lazy2:

Mulestar

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2007
in the dirt
Try a point to point from the guaging station on FS 476 near pink beds to the bottom of Coontree trail on hwy 276. From the car pedal out S. Mills River Trail, turn on buckhorn gap trail which will take you to the top of clawhammer rd. Bear right up steps on Black mtn trail, go straight through 4-way intersection, and you will soon find yourself at the top of Bennett. Hit either Bennett all the way down or right on Coontree for a bit longer ride. This is a massive descent with only one real climb.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Try a point to point from the guaging station on FS 476 near pink beds to the bottom of Coontree trail on hwy 276. From the car pedal out S. Mills River Trail, turn on buckhorn gap trail which will take you to the top of clawhammer rd. Bear right up steps on Black mtn trail, go straight through 4-way intersection, and you will soon find yourself at the top of Bennett. Hit either Bennett all the way down or right on Coontree for a bit longer ride. This is a massive descent with only one real climb.
IF you ever get a GPS to track the amount of vert you've done, it will astonish most. Do you buy brake pads in a bulk?

chicken taco

Chimp
Nov 7, 2008
avery creek is more bang for your buck than bennett gap. its all downhill and fast as ****. bennett has two climbs in it. or do an out and back on pilot rock or heartbreak. its all rideable. dupont has some good stuff thats not well ridden but has more downhill than anything else in the park, so a guide is necessary.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
avery creek is more bang for your buck than bennett gap. its all downhill and fast as ****. bennett has two climbs in it. or do an out and back on pilot rock or heartbreak. its all rideable. dupont has some good stuff thats not well ridden but has more downhill than anything else in the park, so a guide is necessary.
Avery Creek has a marshy Lord of the Rings bog to push up and out of.:think: