Quantcast

Gravity Lights for full blown dh?

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
I'm 210 lbs and building up a temporary beater dh bike (old bike got stolen, can't buy new bike for a few months). I have a good deal on gravity lights... any heavier dudes used these for dh?

tuumbaq

Monkey
Jul 5, 2006
Squamish BC
New Saint : lighter/stronger and guarantee you wont bend them.

Im 150lbs and bent a set of gravity light on my trail bike last year and I know of a lot of other folks bending the hell out of theirs...

They're good cranks but there's just better out there now and there's no point using them for DH application anymore.

I dont know whats a good deal but if there more than half the price of the Saints, Id buy SLX instead....

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
I have been using them on my Tomac Snyper that I used as a DH bike for almost 2 seasons with no problems.

I'm probably around 215 now with all the beer I have been drinking this week.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
I have been using them on my Tomac Snyper that I used as a DH bike for almost 2 seasons with no problems.

I'm probably around 215 now with all the beer I have been drinking this week.
You were drinking beer this week?!?!? And you didn't call me?!? What're u up to tonight? There might be a plan involving a trampoline, beer and a bar-b-que in the santa cruz area....

I would get the new saints, but I think you can only get them for a 83mm bb right? The beater has a 73

fred.r

Dwangus Bogans
May 9, 2006
Every buddy I have that's run these cranks has bent them, that's maybe 5 pairs of G-light cranks I've seen go. FWIW, I've run XTs an entire season with zero issues at 235lbs.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
You were drinking beer this week?!?!? And you didn't call me?!? What're u up to tonight? There might be a plan involving a trampoline, beer and a bar-b-que in the santa cruz area....
I am doing some beer transferring into the 2nd carboy tonight. Beer and a trampoline? I am going to die. Maybe give me a call if things are still happening after 7 tonight.

Gravity Lights for the win!

time-bomb

Monkey
May 2, 2008
right here -> .
Every buddy I have that's run these cranks has bent them, that's maybe 5 pairs of G-light cranks I've seen go. FWIW, I've run XTs an entire season with zero issues at 235lbs.
Nice. I was going to ask about XTs for DH. I have been using them on my AM bike for AM riding (duh) and some light DH riding and love them. I have been thinking about getting some in 170mm or 165mm for the DH bike have been a little leery about running something that light. I weigh 165 so this very well may be a good option.

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
I'm 165 with riding gear and had been a huge proponent of Gravity Lights for 2 years (during which time I ran the same set of GL's and never had problems). Last week at Wisp, I hit a rock fairly hard in a practice run and bent the holy hell out of my 3 mo. old set of Gravity Lights.

Basically, if you rarely nail stuff hard with your cranks, you should be fine. Just know what you're getting yourself into.

My opinion is that you should look for something more burly for a guy of your size.

--JP

go-ride.com

Monkey
Oct 23, 2001
Salt Lake City, UT
I've bent lots of XT crank arms over the years including 2 left arms last race season. This year I'm running Gravity Lights because my 303R DH is an 83 shell. I believe the GL cranks are at least as strong as my XTs and have a nice steel pedal insert that the XTs don't.

Gravity Light Cranks

If you want something stronger and almost as light then the Race Face Atlas FR would be the best choice.

Race Face Atlas FR cranks

If you want something stronger, but still heavier then the Shimano Saint would be nice if you can find them.

Shimano Saint cranks

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Bent my set about a year into them shuttling what are essentially AM trails (Auburn) after tagging them on a rock.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
1.5 seasons on mine and still good to go. Ive hit some rocks so hard they rattled my teeth.

karpi

Monkey
Apr 17, 2006
Santiasco, Chile
I guess the GL are like hayes brakes, they are either good right out of the box, or die after a ride or two. At least down here its nothing but bad news. I have a friend that bent them on his first ride whilest training for a race... The cool and real weird thing about them is you can bend them back as easy as you bent them the first place. He's now running his old hones, which come in at a very respectable weight and have been going strong and true since 06

ph4se_1

Chimp
Jun 17, 2008
Dublin, Ireland
same experience for me,everyone i know that has had them basically ruined them.first run down the track at an nps last year and first time on the cranks,mate of mine weighing about 60kg bent the ones on his yeti so bad they rubbed the frame.someone that light should not be able to bend cranks!

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
As much as dont like the GL cranks< because every set I have sold has bent>, if this is just a temporary bike, it might not be a bad way to go. You said your in need of 73mm, which would be why I say that, no reason to dig up a pair of nice 73MM cranks if your going to end up witha bike that has an 83MM BB later this year. Unless you dont mind buying another set of cranks later.

What I would actually suggest for this over the GL cranks, would be either the Hussefelt or the Holtzfeller cranks. Biggest reaso is its still using a spindle in teh BB with an outboard bearing. If you end up with a bike thats an 83 MM, you just need a 25 dollar BB swap and your cranks are still good. These I can personally say are strong, and will hold up after many many hits. I weigh in at about 255, so I know what its like to need gear for the big guy that needs to hold up.