Quantcast

Gravity Park Party

lil__missy

Chimp
Mar 16, 2009
I would like to introduce a full scale Gravity Park to Big Bear.

Please come join us and learn how this is happening.

April 11th @ 5pm at Nottingham's Restaurant in Big Bear.

Robinhood Resort is offering a 15% discount to anyone attending this event. Just mention it when making reservations.

We will be playing movies Klunkerz and Pinned.

Sghost

Turbo Monkey
Jul 13, 2008
NY
Big Bear canned DH a few years ago for liability. Are they reconsidering or are you going to try to convince them?

lil__missy

Chimp
Mar 16, 2009
Big Bear canned DH a few years ago for liability. Are they reconsidering or are you going to try to convince them?
I am in the process of convincing them. I have some very irresistible figures for them. I have been in contact with Gravity Logic, the people who did whistler among many other gravity parks. I am wanting them to use them. I have had many meetings with mountain managers there and our resort association and our chamber of commerce.

lil__missy

Chimp
Mar 16, 2009
I know everything that had happened and why it happened from the source not all the different versions that are out there. Everything they have to argue I have an answer for that will benefit them, our town and of course us DH'ers.

W4S

Turbo Monkey
Mar 2, 2004
Back in Hell A, b1thces
I am in the process of convincing them. I have some very irresistible figures for them. I have been in contact with Gravity Logic, the people who did whistler among many other gravity parks. I am wanting them to use them. I have had many meetings with mountain managers there and our resort association and our chamber of commerce.
Have you had any interaction with Big Bear? and, if so, what has been their reaction?

Good luck, I hope you can get something going.

lil__missy

Chimp
Mar 16, 2009
Have you had any interaction with Big Bear? and, if so, what has been their reaction?

Good luck, I hope you can get something going.
I have spoken with people at the resort if that's what you mean. The owner refuses to see or speak with me. I spoken with some managers there who are for it one who is on the chamber of commerce board and on rotary with the owner and is his right hand man.

I am in the process of getting our resort association and chamber of commerce to back me up as well. Spoke with the chairman of the RA yesterday and he is for it.

W4S

Turbo Monkey
Mar 2, 2004
Back in Hell A, b1thces
The owner refuses to see or speak with me.
Summit and Bear aren't the only resorts in that area, are they? what about snow valley, don't they already have xc races?

I think Gravity Logic also visited Mt. Waterman as well as Kona Bike Park but I don't know what has come of it.

anyhow, please keep us posted.

lil__missy

Chimp
Mar 16, 2009
Summit and Bear aren't the only resorts in that area, are they? what about snow valley, don't they already have xc races?

I think Gravity Logic also visited Mt. Waterman as well as Kona Bike Park but I don't know what has come of it.

anyhow, please keep us posted.
Snow Valley does not have the potential that Summit does. As far as XC races there I'm unaware. I don't race XC and don't bother keeping tabs on them.

lil__missy

Chimp
Mar 16, 2009
Come check it out! If you need to stay make sure to go to Robinhood Resort. They are offering a 15% discount for anyone who comes up for this event. 909-866-4643.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Missy, I have been following your threads and not responded to them yet, It looks like your getting quite the following here and over on STR, I really do hope for the best on this, If I can I will be there at the dinner, I will also sign for the park to be there.

But I do want to let you know, I have personally spoken to the owner about the subject.

Me.... Hey can I ask, whats the deal with DH up there.

Her... Stop asking, its not open for discusion, next year I will be limiting everybike to ONE lift a day max.

I do hope you have better reaction and influence than I had though. Will you be at the next Fontana race this weekend with any kind of petition? I will gladly add my name to the list

lil__missy

Chimp
Mar 16, 2009
Missy, I have been following your threads and not responded to them yet, It looks like your getting quite the following here and over on STR, I really do hope for the best on this, If I can I will be there at the dinner, I will also sign for the park to be there.

But I do want to let you know, I have personally spoken to the owner about the subject.

Me.... Hey can I ask, whats the deal with DH up there.

Her... Stop asking, its not open for discusion, next year I will be limiting everybike to ONE lift a day max.

I do hope you have better reaction and influence than I had though. Will you be at the next Fontana race this weekend with any kind of petition? I will gladly add my name to the list
The owner is a man. Maybe you spoke with his wife? Yes I have heard the same thing and then some. I'm far from their favorite person right now. It WILL open up for discussion and they WILL like what I have to present to them. I think I remember you dirty mike green/white jersey right? I shuttled in the same van as you for race run last race. I was the only chick in the van and had a green shirt. Any ways... I am not planning on bringing any petitions with me, but I can. The more attendance to the party the better.

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
Bump. They tried to close Whiteface 5 years ago and we said no! Had to take it over as a private business but we have world class lift service biking and the biggest (longest and most vertical) race on the east coast.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I really, really, really hope you can get something accomplished, both from a selfish and community-based point of view. The SoCal DH scene is relatively large but we STILL don't have any lift-accessed resorts aside from Mammoth and Tahoe up north. Best of luck!

lil__missy

Chimp
Mar 16, 2009
Hey everyone,

Just a reminder the party is two weeks from today. Can't wait to see everyone who comes out!

W4S

Turbo Monkey
Mar 2, 2004
Back in Hell A, b1thces
I'm stoked that you're getting this done, I really hope you can find a way of getting a bike park in big bear because I know i'd be there pretty much every weekend. just curious, what's the plan for this meeting? I know you're going to unveil your plan for the park, are there going to be representatives from BB at this as well?

thanks again for doing this, its an f'in crime that there's not a good bike park close to LA already.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
I hope there will be some industry bigwigs attending this and hope you are armed with impressive statistics for the mountain. A couple sheets of 'kewl spreadsheets' and some 'gnar riders' talking about how much they love riding will not cut it. I have seen more than a few half hearted approaches like this to the summit/bear mtn people and they just laughed it off once the circus left.

You need to be equipped to explain to them the magnitude of how important getting things back to the way they were is. And having impressive data, impressive industry speakers, knowledgeable riders is paramount. I applaud your efforts, but don't let this be another poor example of how lame the gravity community is.

lil__missy

Chimp
Mar 16, 2009
I'm stoked that you're getting this done, I really hope you can find a way of getting a bike park in big bear because I know i'd be there pretty much every weekend. just curious, what's the plan for this meeting? I know you're going to unveil your plan for the park, are there going to be representatives from BB at this as well?

thanks again for doing this, its an f'in crime that there's not a good bike park close to LA already.
There will be a few mountain managers there that support what I'm doing, but the owner and the board of directors will not. They still refuse to open their eyes and look at the potential. They are still very concerned with how things were and not with how they can be now.

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
There will be a few mountain managers there that support what I'm doing, but the owner and the board of directors will not. They still refuse to open their eyes and look at the potential. They are still very concerned with how things were and not with how they can be now.

One option for you would be to do the same thing that was done at Mountain Creek and Whiteface. Offer to lease the property and lifts from the resort owners and run the business yourself. If the business case is so good, then you should be able to convince yourself to take the chance and spend your money doing it. If it is a capital problem, then you should approach a bank for a loan.

I don't see the owners being willing to invest their own money on this based on the statements that I heard second hand that they were making after the crap hit the fan in 2004.

You mention that they concerned with the past. Why wouldn't they be? They had the Forrest Service threatening them and they had a $26M lawsuit against them. That is a lot of risk to their pocketbooks that they went through.

Again, if the business case is so good, get some investors and offer them a lot of cash to let you run a bike park. Then you can make a ton of cash and drive a porsche. ;)

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
I hope there will be some industry bigwigs attending this and hope you are armed with impressive statistics for the mountain. A couple sheets of 'kewl spreadsheets' and some 'gnar riders' talking about how much they love riding will not cut it. I have seen more than a few half hearted approaches like this to the summit/bear mtn people and they just laughed it off once the circus left.

You need to be equipped to explain to them the magnitude of how important getting things back to the way they were is. And having impressive data, impressive industry speakers, knowledgeable riders is paramount. I applaud your efforts, but don't let this be another poor example of how lame the gravity community is.
Listen to this guy. I have no doubt that the Big Bear people have been the targets of many totally half-assed efforts to get the place opened back up.

It makes us look straight up DUMB when gravity riders try to put together something like that, and can't even put a sentence together correctly on a formal proposal, or have any data to substantiate their efforts.

lil__missy

Chimp
Mar 16, 2009
Their main arguments is:

A) Liability exposure - Before they were self insured so with that last big lawsuit they had to pay everything out of pocket. Not cheap to defend yourself over a course of two years.

I have already been in contact with a few insurance companies to show them where they would have a premium/cost like any bike park and then it covers any inceidents.

B) Risk vs. Reward - Before they were not making enough money where they could justify spending the money on the lawsuit.

I have been in contact with a couple companies who build gravity parks professionally and know how to it fun and safely and draw more people in. One of those being Gravity Logic the guys who did Whistler.

C) Third Party Interaction - With other parties involved when a lawsuit occurs it gets to be even more of a headache. Having just a gravity park with no events will still draw more money than before without the headache of races with third parties.

Hope this helps clear things up for people. Yes I know what they've come against and agree with them for how it was then, but this is today and things can be done a lot better. As far as leasing it myself I have no where near the smarts for that. I have done a lot of homework on this and can provide an answer to any argument they may have, but I am lobbying the cause then I have professionals who will come in and do the specifics with the resort.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
The owner more or less hates downhillers, and probably mountain bikers in general. You can petition him till you're blue in the face, but he wants no part of it. All the managers and employees know how much money they're missing out on. But that doesn't matter to the owner. As far as I'm concerned Big Bear is a lost cause.

Fonzie18

Turbo Monkey
I greatly appreciate your efforts.

I must ask, what is your ultimate goal with this party? How will this proposal get to whoever can make the decision of once again opening the mountain up to downhillers?

I think another issue is the forest service...don't they have a huge say in whether or not we get to ride up there? surely the fact that illegal trails were used also contributed to the closure of snow summit. Is there a way of leveraging the forest service to allow us to use the mountain during the summer? I say if we get the service's approval to recreate on their land we would have a stronger argument to present to the "resort people."

Has anyone looked into mountain high?

Big Bear was the center of gravity racing in the US (in my opinion), and it was the reason I got into the sport.

lil__missy

Chimp
Mar 16, 2009
The owner more or less hates downhillers, and probably mountain bikers in general. You can petition him till you're blue in the face, but he wants no part of it. All the managers and employees know how much money they're missing out on. But that doesn't matter to the owner. As far as I'm concerned Big Bear is a lost cause.
Obviously you have been listening to the grape vine. He does not hate mountain bikers. He is a mountain biker. Both him and his wife raced when the races were here. Like I've told anyone else who cannot even give a kudos, if it's a lost cause and you don't support it then don't ride here when it comes back.

lil__missy

Chimp
Mar 16, 2009

I must ask, what is your ultimate goal with this party? How will this proposal get to whoever can make the decision of once again opening the mountain up to downhillers?

I think another issue is the forest service...don't they have a huge say in whether or not we get to ride up there? surely the fact that illegal trails were used also contributed to the closure of snow summit. Is there a way of leveraging the forest service to allow us to use the mountain during the summer? I say if we get the service's approval to recreate on their land we would have a stronger argument to present to the "resort people."

Has anyone looked into mountain high?

Big Bear was the center of gravity racing in the US (in my opinion), and it was the reason I got into the sport.

Thanks man.. Yes forestry is another concern. I am working on them as well.

lil__missy

Chimp
Mar 16, 2009

1) to make noise, let him see I'm not going away with this and it is big. This is a very small town and word gets around VERY quickly.

2) to get comradely from the town.

3) to party in the name of downhilling!!!!! j/k

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Obviously you have been listening to the grape vine. He does not hate mountain bikers. He is a mountain biker. Both him and his wife raced when the races were here. Like I've told anyone else who cannot even give a kudos, if it's a lost cause and you don't support it then don't ride here when it comes back.
I take what I hear through the grapevine with a grain of salt. But when he was personally yelling at me in my face telling me that downhillers ruin things for the rest of mountain biking there were no grains of salt. Maybe he was off his meds or had too much of the hooch that particular day, I dunno.

No offense, and not to sound negative, but they're not gonna be at your little pow-wow cause they frankly don't give a rats ass. You could prove to them that a freeride park would generate a hundred million dollars in profit and make them immortal like the fvcking Highlander and they still wouldn't give 2 squirts of piss.

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
1) to make noise, let him see I'm not going away with this and it is big. This is a very small town and word gets around VERY quickly.

That's what I did. I had my biggest compliment in my life after the initial decision was reversed. I was told I was the most tenacious and passionate person they ever met. I said thank you and a dh destination lives!

Remain persistent then get more persistent!

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
^
|
|
|
|

Missy I would get talking with this guy here. Looks like he's done something right.

lil__missy

Chimp
Mar 16, 2009

That's what I did. I had my biggest compliment in my life after the initial decision was reversed. I was told I was the most tenacious and passionate person they ever met. I said thank you and a dh destination lives!

Remain persistent then get more persistent!
That's funny DHM, that is the most I have heard from people in high standings is that they admire my tenacity. I've heard it from over 5 different people from the RA the CofC Bear.

lil__missy

Chimp
Mar 16, 2009

Would love to hear your opinion on it. Everyone has different points, but we are all aiming for the same goal.

lil__missy

Chimp
Mar 16, 2009
The flyer for the party is now posted on the front page of declinemagazine.com

Also an article in our local paper you can see at bigbeargrizzly.net then click sports then scroll down to "An uphill battle for Downhill"