Quantcast

Gravity South Official Series 2014???

russselll

Chimp
Feb 11, 2012
Anyone interested in having an Gravity South Series in 2014?
Yes, I know this is an open and loaded question for all to answer with all types of comments. Racers have opinions of the perfect race and series, sort of like herding cats; while race promoters/directors have differences of just about everything, sort of like herding racoons. So, let's hear it from you on here.
How about a race series, that has INDIE, "Just For The Race" and usac races, with DH, Enduro, Super-D and anything else, Open Pro and Open AM with classes, the usac cat system, etc, points systems point, etc.

Last edited:

OffCamber

Monkey
May 27, 2005
Loxahatchee, Fl
Coming from S.Fla. I just want to ride my bike with lift/shuttle access. The bonus is hanging with people I know and meeting new people. I'm getting old but any gathering (race or not ) is always fun. An early schedule helps out in vacation planning.:cheers:

motobutane

Monkey
Apr 27, 2010
WNC
Coming from S.Fla. I just want to ride my bike with lift/shuttle access. The bonus is hanging with people I know and meeting new people. I'm getting old but any gathering (race or not ) is always fun. An early schedule helps out in vacation planning.:cheers:
Good points:thumb:

russselll

Chimp
Feb 11, 2012
Yes, constant dates would be good with gravity events, so we all could plan the time needed to make it to the events. A two year "deal" or "contract", for the venue holder of the event and promoter, to be revisited and renewed every year for two years for planning and adjustments that need to be made for the gravity events and the series.

Last edited:

motobutane

Monkey
Apr 27, 2010
WNC
Yes, constant dates would be good with gravity events, so we all could plan the time needed to make it to the events. A two year "deal" or "contract", for the venue holder of the event and promoter, to be revisited and renewed every year for two years for planning and adjustments that need to be made for the gravity events and the series.
I don't want to be a negative Nancy so I'll just say that Snowshoe always seems to know and post their dates early and I wish other/closer resorts would do the same.

russselll

Chimp
Feb 11, 2012
It's okay, nothing negative about what you posted; hopefully with an open discussion about what the needs and wants of the racers, promoters, sponsors and venues working together with a series may work out and catch on with a learning curve. I think with a two years outlook for promoter and venues is reasonable, with revisiting each year race to make adjustments going into the following year, may help with the planning process.

Last edited:

motobutane

Monkey
Apr 27, 2010
WNC
It's okay, nothing negative about what you posted; hopefully with an open discussion about what the needs and wants of the racers, promoters, sponsors and venues working together with a series may work out and catch on with a learning curve. I think with a two years outlook for promoter and venues is reasonable, with revisiting each year race to make adjustments going into the following year, may help with the planning process.
Well I know exactly didly about promoting races, but I would like to see more races in the south.

russselll

Chimp
Feb 11, 2012
Goal:
To have a series of mtb races that promote good will among athletes in the sport, contribute to the host community, and build awareness and appreciation of the mtb discipline among athletes and fans.
Scope:
Promote and produce a race series that includes 8 to 10 DH, Super-D, Enduro races and Championship for 2 year commitment to 4 years is held at venues for with the same date weekend of each year on the race schedule.
For each race to hold the same consistent times for online and race weekend registration along with practice and race day timelines. Prizes need to be consistent per race was well.
Each event includes a set of races with slightly different focal points: USAC sanctioned / Pro-Gravity, Qualifiers for the Nationals; Pro-Am Open and Charity race.
USAC sanctioned/Pro Gravity: races are qualifiers for the national championship race, and one or two of the races in the series to be on a USAC Pro Gravity series, USAC Rules apply, and participant’s race according to class and age. These races draw pro athletes and highly competitive amateurs, with focus on competition, Championship qualification, and USAC point’s rankings.
Pro-Am Open (also includes Junior and Masters Open classes) allows pros and amateurs to race together (whether they are in the Pro class or not) while the Amateur class is open to anyone within the age group: Pro-open age 18 plus in years, AM class 18 year plus in age, Junior 17 yrs and below in age, masters class 40 plus in year of age. Focus is on athlete development and competition. This class is for those who do not want to buy a USAC license.
Charity race is a race to support fundraising for a select charity or trail maintenance fund. Focus is on fun and supporting a cause, as well as encouraging participation. …
Mass Start/ Dash for Cash: Whole Shot, Fallow Me Down the Course Race…
Just for Fun Race' its about bragging rights on that section of the trail.
(Remember these are just ideas for the series.)

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
First goal. Get ski resorts in the south to realize that no matter how fat they can make their wallets in winter, spring, summer and fall can make them way fatter.

Oh...look it's raining and all our snow is gone for the entire month of December. I guess we'll hope it snows again next year. Maybe people will come then. :think:

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
First goal. Get ski resorts in the south to realize that no matter how fat they can make their wallets in winter, spring, summer and fall can make them way fatter.

Oh...look it's raining and all our snow is gone for the entire month of December. I guess we'll hope it snows again next year. Maybe people will come then. :think:
And that has very little to do with racing. Last time I checked Whistler (the Mecca) and Snowshoe the current South East(ish) equivalent are not destinations due to races/ing.

Feb 17, 2010
A, A
Ok, as a race promoter what does this mean? I mean I like the idea of nailed down dates and such, but will there be a sponsor for the series? Orrrrr are we still responsible for coming up with all our own sponsored prizes and stuff? What about race insurance? I mean is there a "package" that we can get through the fact that we're "on the schedule" for the next two years? I mean like timing, event sponsors, race insurance, insurance to us that we'll at least break even? Whats the cost to become sanctioned vs unsanctioned? Whos going to design and build the digital poster? Is each venue responsible for their own? Right now the TTC is run by a bunch of dudes who LOVE to build and ride their bikes and though we build on their property they actually have no affiliation with our club. You can't just show up and ride, unless you provide your own shuttle and pay your $10 and sign the waiver. The $10 doesn't even go towards our club, thats the cost that covers the liability insurance to be on the land, so our club at this point doesn't see any money for park access. Thanks for thinking about this, I love the idea of a schedule and so far ahead of things, but I'd like to see a better breakdown of how exactly it would work.

russselll

Chimp
Feb 11, 2012
@ bizutch, thank you for the input, Yes, it would be nice if a few other ski resorts would realize that with some planning, that may cost some funds up front and the pay-off would come around for the overtime in a few years. It seems that the actions of a few in the past turned off the "owners" towards "gravity style" events and others resorts seeming have a plan that is let’s see how it goes.
@ mtb rob nc, thank you for the input, Last time I was in Whistler and have been many times over the years, the park seeming was doing fine with riding and racing. Whistler took many years of development and planning to become what it is today. Riding weekends are good and enjoyable, racing weekends are slammed packed with people. As for myself and maybe others, I have been to "bike parks" in other areas for races mainly and to ride maybe. I do understand what you are saying.
@bikermaniac101, Thank you for the input, Yes, that is what this is working towards, the breakdown of the "items" is in a budget; not trying to take over races that are there already, just trying to add to it. Each race would need to work with their sponsors and relationship already established and the series will work on it sponsors to add to each race. Think as it sort of like the nascar or the super motocross idea, the series has title sponsor for the series and each race has individual sponsor. The daily business operations of "race cost of doing business" as you list a few above, just as an idea: take all of those "cost of doing business", divide out equally, then add in the cost of shuttle run gas or lift operation, trial maintenance time, staff time, etc, some races may cost more, some may cost less, either to make a "profit, for the business" or add to the "trial fund for a club", or both.
Ideally it would be cool, if promoters, sponsors and racers, all sort of "pay into" the series to belong to the series a percentage as "members" to be committed for a series to happen. I know all of this is easier said they done with the world of racing in any sport.

motobutane

Monkey
Apr 27, 2010
WNC

We have had some warm/low snow amount winters where they had to lose money and could have re-couped or added to their yearly income if they could just realize this^.

I'd be happy with a resort that has lift access in North Carolina that has more than one trail and is open more than just for races.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
MADHRA worked great, but we had two venues simply decide to take a nap mid series. I honestly think it was because the resorts had a BAD winter prior to the final spring we did it. Per the general manager of one resort who was a close friend and believed bike parks were the future in the South, but his owner wouldn't listen:

Butch, it's hard to convince a guy in September to commit to a summer MTB program because he just spent a $1 million on improvements and lodges. Come talk to him in February when he's walking around with $1 million in cash in his account.
Ski resorts that list their summer MTB program in October are serious about bikes. Races and park is the way to go. Both types of riding are equally vital to success. One for exposure, the other for revenue.

0110-M-P

Monkey
Jun 1, 2009
Atlanta, GA
I just really wish Sugar would get back on board. It's one of the best mountains around with some awesome terrain. If they didn't run the lift so damn slow and the management actually cared about bikes enough to allow more trails to be built and at least one race/yr I would be be very happy.

Guard

Monkey
Apr 21, 2004
Wilkes "By God" County
A series definitely sounds good to me. I recommend reaching out to Smalley who coordinates the Southern Classic XC Series. Their races always have a good turn out and I'm sure he could provide some words of wisdom and guidance. And might be an opportunity to get him involved...I know he's typically slammed with official stuff through out the year so not sure of availability. As for races at Dark Mtn/Headwaters, we're definitely up for working together to build some type of series out.

One thing just to note, besides gravity races we (BMCC) do have to schedule around the majority of the Southern Classic dates for a couple of reasons...1) personal - I'm racing more XC now and that series (have spandex will travel:D) & 2) Smalley is our official/timing dude and he is the offical at most of the Southern Classic races. Plus we host two endurance races each year too...6hrs of Warrior Creek & BURN 24 but these dates are concrete year after year.

I know there are a lot of if's but good to see the dialogue.:thumb: