Quantcast

Gravy Waves

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
http://www.iflscience.com/space/gravitational-waves-observed-first-time

This is pretty fucking cool. Einstein predicted some pretty nutty shit, and has been proven right over and over again. What still blows my mind is that he developed the basis for relativity not from scientific experiments or derived from mathematics, but simply by observing the same shit you and I do every day and some simple thought experiments. He developed the supporting mathematics only after coming up with the theory.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I wonder if lizard people like gravy. They travel in flying saucers, right? Right?

Einstein was a true phenomenon. The strange thing is, he did not believe in some of the concepts that his thought experiments and their consequences predicted, like he did not believe in the existence of black holes.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I wonder if lizard people like gravy. They travel in flying saucers, right? Right?

Einstein was a true phenomenon. The strange thing is, he did not believe in some of the concepts that his thought experiments and their consequences predicted, like he did not believe in the existence of black holes.
He also believed in an eternally static universe, despite what his theory said. For those who live in a closet, the universe has been proven to be very very dynamic. Even though he wasn't very religious, he was still held back by what he felt comfortable with.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
I was coming here to post "where is my warp drive, now?"...
but westy won in the nerdiness category today.

the depth of einstein´s mind also absolutely astonishes me..... is as if his intelligence allowed him to have x-ray vision, when most people are color-blind.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
So if MC = DJ by modern or recent definition. By that assumption Joseph Simmons is DJ Run squared. And Jam Master Jam being the MC. What part of the equation represents Darryl McDaniel's. Or is the prefix of Darryl McDaniel's name the MC part of the equation. Clearly Einstein fucked up.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
So if MC = DJ by modern or recent definition. By that assumption Joseph Simmons is DJ Run squared. And Jam Master Jam being the MC. What part of the equation represents Darryl McDaniel's. Or is the prefix of Darryl McDaniel's name the MC part of the equation. Clearly Einstein fucked up.
The eqation as most people know it is a simplification making the assumption the mass in question has no momentum. The full equation is E ²=(mc ²) ²+(pc) ², where p=momentum

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
The eqation as most people know it is a simplification making the assumption the mass in question has no momentum. The full equation is E ²=(mc ²) ²+(pc) ², where p=momentum
Where does the beat fall? E to the A or A to the E?

Perhaps P to the E?

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Just gonna say I've had a tour of LIGO and my buddy was on the build team for the wave sensor thingys. I always thought it was a joke, that they'd never find anything!

Pretty badass!

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
...yet we still have science deniers. I dislike people immeasurably...
I remember when the internet first started ramping up and thinks like wikipedia became available. There was talk of a new age of enlightenment with information becoming so readily available. Unfortunately I think that the opposite has happened for a large part of the population. Instead of the using the information age to become informed with facts, people use it to spread and support BS. People used to have to go somewhere or subscribe to some crazy newsletter to read about insane shit, now it is easy as the click of a button. So we get science deniers, anti-vaxxers, conspiracy theorists etc.

At the end of the day it is really just human nature. The scientific method is supposed draw conclusions from identified facts and information, but even then personal prejudice can come into play. See above for Einstein's preference for a static universe. Apply that to your average Joe and you get the present shit-show.

Last edited:

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
I remember when the internet first started ramping up and thinks like wikipedia became available. There was talk of a new age of enlightenment with information becoming so readily available. Unfortunately I think that the opposite has happened for a large part of the population. Instead of the using the information age to become informed with facts, people use it to spread and support BS. People used to have to go somewhere or subscribe to some crazy newsletter to read about insane shit, not it is easy as the click of a button. So we get science deniers, anti-vaxxers, conspiracy theorists etc.

At the end of the day it is really just human nature. The scientific method is supposed draw conclusions from identified facts and information, but even then personal prejudice can come into play. See above for Einstein's preference for a static universe. Apply that to your average Joe and you get the present shit-show.
May need to block your posts soon. The truth really stings sometimes. :mad:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
May need to block your posts soon. The truth really stings sometimes. :mad:

I dated a girl who was super smart, Phd in Chemistry. Emphatically Believed in Astrology, blamed everyone's ailments on not eating organic gluten free and other new age bullshit.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Bananas aren't magnetic no matter how large the Magnet is. Yet they want you to fast for 24 hours before a MRI? Haha I had Ice Cream last night.. I lied about it so we will see if they can tell.... I brushed my teeth also....

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Bananas aren't magnetic no matter how large the Magnet is. Yet they want you to fast for 24 hours before a MRI? Haha I had Ice Cream last night.. I lied about it so we will see if they can tell.... I brushed my teeth also....
Bananas contain water which is diamagnetic, so a really powerful magnet will affect a banana, but no more so than it would affect you. Actually that is how MRIs work, fucking with the hydrogen protons in water with magnetic fields.

Mad scientists types can levitate frogs with really strong magnetic fields. They could do the same with you, but it would require really really big magnets and is about as useful as levitating frogs.

Last edited:

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Bananas contain water which is diamagnetic, so a really powerful magnet will affect a banana, but no more so than it would affect you. Actually that is how MRIs work, fucking with the hydrogen protons in water with magnetic fields.

Mad scientists types can levitate frogs with really strong magnetic fields. They could do the same with you, but it would require really really big magnets and is about as useful as levitating frogs.

I would never eat frogs before a MRI unless they were BBQ Korean frogs. If Koreans invite you to dinner you need to take advantage of that.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I would never eat frogs before a MRI unless they were BBQ Korean frogs. If Koreans invite you to dinner you need to take advantage of that.
What if the invitees are not korean but the frogs are?

Had a Korean roommate when I was a softmore. He wanted to make spaghetti for everyone for some reason. He tried cooking the Pasta like it was rice. It came out as a solid glutenous mass.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I remember when the internet first started ramping up and thinks like wikipedia became available. There was talk of a new age of enlightenment with information becoming so readily available. Unfortunately I think that the opposite has happened for a large part of the population. Instead of the using the information age to become informed with facts, people use it to spread and support BS. People used to have to go somewhere or subscribe to some crazy newsletter to read about insane shit, now it is easy as the click of a button. So we get science deniers, anti-vaxxers, conspiracy theorists etc.

i blame the humans that interbred with neanderthals