Quantcast

Great day on Galbraith...

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
Ballard 4 life.
I'm glad to see they're finally doing some real work on Galbraith. I helped Jim and David extend Cedar Dust a while back, and that was good, but stuff like this is great; they're finding places to freeride on Galbraith now. Very shameless plug though.

seand

Monkey
Nov 22, 2003
seattle
dwaugh -

that looks sorta like the rocks up by the towers...am i even close? i havent been to galby since...i dont remember :P i know it was after shawn's trail got the chainsaw and his logride was lowered to the ground...and the trail after his (huck it i believe was the name) was sawed out...once the chainsawing started happening, i stopped going...but from the sound of it, galby is becoming more dh/fr friendly...i may just have to get my climbing legs and head up one of these weekends.

i remember the first time i was ever there both kung fu and 911 kicked the crap out of me....oh how i loved 911.

dwaugh

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Bellingham, Washington ~ U.S.A.
911 got a long log ride on it in the woods. Yes, that is by the towers, on wonderland. What is happening on galby is that all the poorly built stuff is being taken out and better stuff is being built, closer to IMBA standards. The WHIMPs are doing what they can allow more stuff like this, but the main roadblock is the fact that everything is owned by Trillium, and they make the rules... so just for the record, dont blame the WHIMPs for taking out stuff that wasnt allowed in the first place, they're just doing their job. They'd rather build than take down. What they need is more support from freeriders, etc.
I love galby and right now it can only get better! :love:

seand

Monkey
Nov 22, 2003
seattle
yeah i remember talking with Tag about trillium and their rules and how they kept changing for a while - nothing over 6 feet...nothing manmade...no jumps...downward spiral.

i remember riding up to wonderland and being able to ride down without seeing any clearcut...them were the days :)

maybe i can drop you a line before we head up and get a little mini-tour of the changes? EXCITING!!

dwaugh

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Bellingham, Washington ~ U.S.A.
seand said:
yeah i remember talking with Tag about trillium and their rules and how they kept changing for a while - nothing over 6 feet...nothing manmade...no jumps...downward spiral.

i remember riding up to wonderland and being able to ride down without seeing any clearcut...them were the days :)

maybe i can drop you a line before we head up and get a little mini-tour of the changes? EXCITING!!
Ok, I'm always up for a ride, but just to let you know I dont go on many of the trails that other people do (shawns, scorpion, etc.). Wonderland is remade and Oly is too. Bob's is as good as ever. Let me know.

Cedar dust has major changes and is much better.

seand

Monkey
Nov 22, 2003
seattle
we used to hit up shawns once or twice, but tend to stay on the other trails...they were always a blast :) i used to love riding up the ridge trail until it was logged :( i also used to really enjoy chutes when it was in good shape...lots of carnage on that one :) dans and bobs were good and pollo used to be a hoot!

so yeah...ill find out when we are going to head on up and shoot you over a pm...usually if we are driving through bellingham with our bikes, we are going to drive the extra 35 minutes and hit up woodlot, but we can make an exception to check out galby again :)

smedford

Monkey
Jan 31, 2004
Bellingham, WA
There are so many talented riders on Galbraith, it is starting to show signs of one of the best places around to ride. Saturday I briefly rode with Kevin, one of the owners of Transition bikes, he showed how smooth the log on Evolution can be then ripped down the rest of the trail. Then Sunday I get lazy and don't go all the way to the towers and see Russ on sandy stone posted here. He, Jeff, Pat and Matt are great guys and are making the hill such a fun place along with Darren Clark of Clarks Cycles who put so much time into the trails up here.

I am lucky to live where I do just minutes away from such great diverse riding.

seand

Monkey
Nov 22, 2003
seattle
Corporatefailure said:
we live in a weird country, folks dont like bike's with tires bigger then 2.00" and 4" of travel.

we live in a weird country where people post the most obsurd things in the interweb

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Corporatefailure said:
we live in a weird country, folks dont like bike's with tires bigger then 2.00" and 4" of travel.
XC is just downhilling backwards, they're not too weird. :p

smedford said:
I am lucky to live where I do just minutes away from such great diverse riding.
Nobody like a braggart. :nope: :angry: :think: ;)