Quantcast

Great essay about Tom Petty...

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
He had some real boring music. Sorry, not a big fan, liked a couple songs. Also, way too Dillan without being Dillan. Yes, I know why, that makes it even worse possibly.

Last edited:

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Although his tunes were definitely a part of my teenage soundtrack, I could never understand the attraction to them. Too whiny and wistful, never said anything I was interested in hearing...

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
I liked Tom Petty, though I'd hesitate to call myself a "fan". Definitely a part of my childhood soundtrack, at least outside of the home. My parents never would have held to that kind of hippie music. Wildflowers was a great album, and we played the title track at my wedding.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
I just remembered my biggest, most petty Petty turnoff...my ex wifes dad loved his music, and I really really dont like that guy. He thought the musical pablum generated by Petty was some kind of socially relevant and important music, and tried to lecture me about it as I stood there in my Clash shirt. Not unlike the Eagles, I thought his stuff was a notch below elevator music.