Quantcast

Great Idea for new Body armor

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
Transcend said:
Basically it is only good right now for replacing the shin and forearm guards that they normally wear. It isn't really body armor, as such.

Pretty much, i could see it being really handy for Slalom racers are the WC level.

heikkihall

Monkey
Dec 14, 2001
Durango, CO
Transcend said:
Some American and Canadian skiers competing in the Olympics have a secret weapon: a flexible form of "body armor" that's molded to the shape of their bodies and hardens on impact. The material, known as d3o, and developed by scientists working with skiwear maker Spyder, contains a proprietary polymer that has "strain rate flexibility." While normally flexible, sudden impact hardens the molecules of the material, making it as protective as the traditional arm and leg guards worn in slalom runs. The developers envision expanding d30's uses to other purposes, including protection for military and police personnel. Unfortunately, they don't seem to have any plans for a material that can protect Bode Miller from himself.
Fraser you slacker, read two posts above this post. I posted about this exact stuff weeks ago.

heikkihall

Monkey
Dec 14, 2001
Durango, CO
Transcend said:
Basically it is only good right now for replacing the shin and forearm guards that they normally wear. It isn't really body armor, as such.
For ski applications that seems all that it is feesible for right now. But for downhill armor I see it beeing great for stuff like shoulder, elbow, forearm, chest, and backplate protection. There are allready alot of people who cut off the hard plastic shells on Dainese armor on the places that it feels like it restricts movement. It really would work well for those parts of the armor I think. I thought about it for shiguards but I think it is a softer, flexible material and would probably be succeptible to ripping on sharp pedals and tree branches and such. Something to think about though.

heikkihall

Monkey
Dec 14, 2001
Durango, CO
Zutroy said:
Spyder is going to release it to the public this fall...suppose to be $800-900 for the suit, with all the bells and whistles.
That price is actually not bad at all at retail. Current downhill suits that are available usually run about that price anyway at retail. There really isnt as much of a significant price jump for this suit compared to older ones as I was expecting.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
Transcend said:
a flexible form of "body armor" that's molded to the shape of their bodies and hardens on impact. .

Could you imagine landing after a big drop and having the armor harden on impact accidently? That would be freakin hilarious to see....

"WTF?! I can't move my arms!" *biff*

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
bdamschen said:
Could you imagine landing after a big drop and having the armor harden on impact accidently? That would be freakin hilarious to see....

"WTF?! I can't move my arms!" *biff*
They don't mean that kind of impact, they mean when the vest itself hits something hard. :dead:

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
My Girlfriend already did a thesis on impact protection using this stuff. She had a small colaberation with D30, the 'inventor' of this product in foam form and I can tell you that its certainly got an aplication in DH type body armor. She learnt quite a few things that certainly changed my perspective on whats good and whats bad.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Can't believe I read all 4 pages to pose this 1 single question no one else has. OK...so the stuff hardens on impact right. Sharp objects, projectiles, rocks you land your ribs on...whatever. But the thing I'm NOT seeing mentioned is any disbursement of the energy from the projectile.

Body armor disperses energy with the bio-foam padding, styrofoam, etc. If you're wearing this thing on your arm and a bullet from a Glock pops your arm....it is not going to break the skin. But isn't it still going to equate to a miniature sledgehammer and practically bludgeon your arm still?

Here's another instance...you tackle a boulder on your shin at 25mph and this stuff is on you. Without foam padding behind it, it's still going to transfer the brute force straight through the material. Being hard doesn't mean crap.

So....are they saying in "body armor" this material can take the place of the external plastic elbow/shin/forearm pad and be layered over top of bio-foam??? Or are we just talking about hucking on your NoFearMX moto pants with no other padding underneath and barrel rolling off Niagra Falls with nary a scratch or dent in you????

julian_dh

Monkey
Jan 10, 2005
i dont belive the hype with this **** if you were using one of those d30 skinsuits and fell into an serious rock garden you are not getting up. even with dainese if you bail in the rocks you still gonna have scuffs all over you.

edit. isnt this d30 thing also going on the theroy that we learned in preschool with that goop you can swish it around but if you hit or punch it it stays together? seems just like they nasa'd it up a bit :thumb:

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
bizutch said:
Can't believe I read all 4 pages to pose this 1 single question no one else has. OK...so the stuff hardens on impact right. Sharp objects, projectiles, rocks you land your ribs on...whatever. But the thing I'm NOT seeing mentioned is any disbursement of the energy from the projectile.

Body armor disperses energy with the bio-foam padding, styrofoam, etc. If you're wearing this thing on your arm and a bullet from a Glock pops your arm....it is not going to break the skin. But isn't it still going to equate to a miniature sledgehammer and practically bludgeon your arm still?

Here's another instance...you tackle a boulder on your shin at 25mph and this stuff is on you. Without foam padding behind it, it's still going to transfer the brute force straight through the material. Being hard doesn't mean crap.

So....are they saying in "body armor" this material can take the place of the external plastic elbow/shin/forearm pad and be layered over top of bio-foam??? Or are we just talking about hucking on your NoFearMX moto pants with no other padding underneath and barrel rolling off Niagra Falls with nary a scratch or dent in you????

Tests have shown it to absorb and disperse energy better than ANY other armor out there right now. Google it.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
profro said:
Butch, the hardening is the effect of absorbing the energy.
so you're saying that the liquid solidifying is the actual energy displacement? guess I'm having a hard time picturing it.

I just picture an object striking the material making it rigid and the momentum of the projectile then moving that rigid membrane full force into whatever is behind it. But I suppose if the energy from the object makes a very wide segment of the material rigid simultaneously, say 6-8 inches in diameter, that would effectively make the contact patch of the material with your skin much wider and less forceful than a 1/8 inch piece of the material only.

Moving on to picture threads now...thanks guys....:)

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
I don't know about this material exactly, but certain non-newtonian fluids can have a shear-thickening effect, which means that the viscocity increases as you try to shear (apply force) the liquid. So the more force you put into it, the more the liquid gets thicker. It absorbs the force.

spoke80

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
profro said:
I don't know about this material exactly, but certain non-newtonian fluids can have a shear-thickening effect, which means that the viscocity increases as you try to shear (apply force) the liquid. So the more force you put into it, the more the liquid gets thicker. It absorbs the force.
nerd:love:

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
spoke80 said:
nerd:love:
Get him talking about diesel when you're curious and watch the passengers drop like they've been chloroformed. Jeremy and Crackhead's started sawing logs before I finished my question. :love:

Not cracking on you Doug...but needless to say they weren't as interested in the topic as me. :clue:

sunny

Grammar Civil Patrol
Jul 2, 2004
Sandy Eggo, CA
Saw an article on Discovery about this stuff. Showed it being applied to motocross, dh biking and gs skiing. Nice suit with knees, shoulders, elbows and back. Very flexible but gets hard when hit at speed. Could be the future. Found their website:

http://www.d3o.com/index.php?cont=1_home&section=0

Looks promising.
They're testing now. I'm one of the crash test dummies. :biggrin:
Essentially, they needed someone who would give feedback who has a high probability of crashing at a trail near you. Kind of a "OK, who on the team here crashes at every race?" I was one of 2 chosen. I received my jacket in the mail last week, but it needed some alterations, so I had a tailor mark it, took some pics and I'm shipping it back to them.

When I first opened the package, I was really conflicted. On the one hand, I was excited and couldn't wait to try it out! On the other hand, setting out with the intention of chronicling my crash experience was no fun to think about (kind of a "YESSS! I finally received the... oh. Yeah. Gotta test it. Right.)

So, I'll go out and do what I always do... eventually the crashes will come.

EVRAC

Monkey
Jun 21, 2004
Port Coquitlam, B.C., Canada
They're testing now. I'm one of the crash test dummies. :biggrin:
Essentially, they needed someone who would give feedback who has a high probability of crashing at a trail near you. Kind of a "OK, who on the team here crashes at every race?" I was one of 2 chosen. I received my jacket in the mail last week, but it needed some alterations, so I had a tailor mark it, took some pics and I'm shipping it back to them.

When I first opened the package, I was really conflicted. On the one hand, I was excited and couldn't wait to try it out! On the other hand, setting out with the intention of chronicling my crash experience was no fun to think about (kind of a "YESSS! I finally received the... oh. Yeah. Gotta test it. Right.)

So, I'll go out and do what I always do... eventually the crashes will come.
That's cool,
Enjoy? :confused:

jtdcg

Chimp
Aug 15, 2004
NH
Was anyone up at Fort William watching them hit people with a shovel?
I keep seeing different stories about the D30 material...I think it shows some promise but would love to see the application in person.
This is what I am talking about:
http://www.d3o.com/fw/New Site/Welcome.html

This vid on gizmodo isn't that thrilling but gives and idea:
http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/nextfest07/video-of-a-blonde-being-smashed-by-a-shovel-while-thankfully-wearing-d3o-body-armor-300134.php

Hopefully someone that got a "dog tag" wins the top and can do a write up.

Hans

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
Copenhagen, Denmark
It would be really cool if this could be used to make a non/less restrictive neck brace, would be good to see a proliferation of that, too many debilitating injuries.

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
Ok... I have the solution!

You just need a full body pressure suit. With pads even on the spots less prone to injury. Then, you can have a button somewhere. Like on your wrist or something...

Whenever a crash is about to take place, it could force your knees into your chest, and you could just roll like sonic the hedgehog and survive without a scratch.

:happydance: :happydance: :happydance: :happydance: :happydance: :happydance: :happydance: :happydance: :happydance:

sunny

Grammar Civil Patrol
Jul 2, 2004
Sandy Eggo, CA
It would be really cool if this could be used to make a non/less restrictive neck brace, would be good to see a proliferation of that, too many debilitating injuries.
It doesn't quite work like that, though. It's not really "supportive" as much as it is an impact absorber. You usually don't land on your neck for a neck injury - you land on your head.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
My guess is that the impact of your head twisting back isn't a sharp enough impact to cause the material to harden enough. Sort of like a drop on a bike being a low speed compression.

sunny - there was just another thread about this, I was hoping you'd stick your head in. How's it built? Layer of the stuff over foam? Also, messing around with non-Newtonian fluids in science class in high school, the effect was always very local - that is, only the area immediately around the impact hardened. Great for stopping a bullet but I'm wondering if it effectively spreads out the impact or if it's mostly for abrasion/puncture resistance.

sunny

Grammar Civil Patrol
Jul 2, 2004
Sandy Eggo, CA
Hopefully someone that got a "dog tag" wins the top and can do a write up.
Here's a write up ;)

Revolutionary New Body Armor Hits the Trails in SoCal for Testing

San Diego, CA

It’s a cool and sunny morning when I load up the car with my gear and the downhill bike and head out to meet friends for shuttle runs down Anderson Truck Trail in East San Diego County. I’m nervous… partly because I’ve never been to Anderson before, and partly because of the task I am to undertake: pull on untried body armor and go crash.

I’ve been asked to try out a revolutionary type of body armor called d3o, which is a soft, pliable material that hardens on impact to absorb shock. How did I get involved here? Essentially, the folks at d3o were looking for people with a high probability of crashing who would give feedback. After an initial No Brakes Racing team poll of "OK, who on the team crashes at every race?" I was one of 2 people chosen.

So today, I am a Crash Test Dummy. Just to tempt fate, I even wear my Crash Test Dummy jersey. :D

The jacket I have been sent is a form-fitting LYCRA and Coolmax, that feels really good against the skin, and hugs the body well. The elbows and shoulders contain the d3o protective material, encased on the shoulders by the same LYCRA and Coolmax material found throughout the jacket, and encased on the elbows with a thicker, more durable and rip-resistant fabric, Keprotec (by Schoeller). The d3o material is covered on the inside of the jacket by a flexible lightweight LYCRA and Coolmax mesh.

More akin to hard foam or clay than anything else, the protective d3o material itself is a pliable orange substance that neither looks nor feels like any other body armor I’ve seen. I hold the d3o elbow “padding” in my hands, easily folding it in half as I slowly shake my head and wonder whether it will really “reactively harden on impact” as I’ve been told it will.

(inside of shoulder pad)

According to the d3o website,
d3o technology is a specially engineered material with intelligent molecules that flow with you as you move but on impact, lock together to absorb impact energy. d3o material provides a flexible, breathable, washable, and lightweight alternative to conventional rigid hard shell systems.​

As we begin our ride, I note that the jacket is really quite comfortable, moves with me as I move, and is light enough that I hardly notice it.

(video - descending through the rocks)

(video - jumping off the rock)

I ride well today, but still manage to crash a few times. Coming through the singletrack, I spot the trail ahead, look through the corner, and lean the bike beneath me through a series of S-turns. Coming into what looks like a bermed corner I lean into it, only to be slammed hard to the earth when the edge crumbles away under my front tire. Having no time to dive away from it, the bike slams hard directly onto my leg, pinning me to the ground.

I groan, pull myself out from under the bike, and stand for a moment with my head hanging down to catch my breath before rearing back and screaming into the air in pain and frustration. I only do this when it really hurts, even though I feel like a Wookie when I do, but somehow it helps. A few moments later, as I get back on the bike and begin pedaling, I realize that I must have impacted on my elbow too. Or did I? I stop to examine the elbow. Sure enough, I find ground in dirt in the fabric over my elbow, and smile, knowing the armor worked – I felt nothing. Wow. Yes!!

My second good crash is in the rock bed near the end of the ride. I go down pretty hard, this time on my left hip and elbow. Once again, while my hip with no protection is really throbbing, I feel no effect of the impact on my elbow. I usually wear a very good “hard plastic shell” armor that covers my shoulders, chest and elbows. In many falls, although the trauma of the impact is kept to a minimum, the area is still a bit sore after a crash, but not today. The shock of the impact was so well-absorbed through the d3o material that I check the elbows on the garment again to make sure I really did fall on them. Yep – the left elbow has traces of ground-in dirt. Nice!

The d3o material does everything it says it will. It is light and breathable, and really absorbs the shock of impact while allowing your body to move like it wants to.

There are modifications that could be made to the jacket garment itself to improve the level of protection provided, like chest or spine protection inserts, but I have yet to find anything in the d3o protective material itself that needs improvement. The possibilities for d3o material are endless and are applicable for all kinds of sports. As an athlete, I eagerly await more protective gear that utilizes this technology.

For more information about d3o technology, please see their website at d3o.com.

Product review by Laura Drexler

sunny

Grammar Civil Patrol
Jul 2, 2004
Sandy Eggo, CA
Not in production at this moment, but coming very soon. I don't know when any announcements will be made, but when they are, I'll be sure to post. :)

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
If that works as well as advertised, and in real world situations, it would become the ultimate knee pads material for ANY action sport. The ability to move freely, along with the protection of a hardshell. Good stuff.

Is this the same stuff spyder is using in their ski racing suits?

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
If that works as well as advertised, and in real world situations, it would become the ultimate knee pads material for ANY action sport. The ability to move freely, along with the protection of a hardshell. Good stuff.

Is this the same stuff spyder is using in their ski racing suits?
:imstupid: I'm with you on that one! I need a full body suit made of that stuff ;)

I love this video - made me chuckle too. Those crazy brits!

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
He should have used a bat or something smaller. That large surface area on the shovel spreads out the hit over a greater area and absorbs more of the shock - not that impressive.

Its probably a pretty heavy high density gel so dainese suit of it would be heavy.

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
Went to a plastics and polymers trade show in LA about a year ago. Saw some guy under the d3O sign taking a baseball bat to the gut from passers by. I couldn't resist so I took a swing. Either he had some crazy strong abs, or that stuff really works. Knocked him down, but he got right back up.

I put on a demo sleeve and started wacking my arm against a nearby pole. The whole sleeve hardened up upon impact but I could feel a slight indention at the moment of impact nothing more. People probably thought I was pscyho cuz I was making that pole ring like a bell with every wack. Only stopped my ice cream was melting.

d3O IS THE FUTURE... AND THE FUTURE IS NOW :thumb: :spam:

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
So what happens to the d3o your knee pad if you hit something (say asphalt or gravel) sliding for a sec that would normally just scrape the plastic cup on a standard knee pad?

While it looks like it disperses impacts, I didn't see anybody scraping at it with gravel? I assume once you rip through the cloth cover, you're going to scrape that stuff up. I mean...it's only rigid under tremendous force right? What would keep it from tearing?

Oh...and did SixSixOne have a price tag next to those bad boys?