Quantcast

great news story about crime prevention

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco
Julio Diaz has a daily routine. Every night, the 31-year-old social worker ends his hour-long subway commute to the Bronx one stop early, just so he can eat at his favorite diner.

But one night last month, as Diaz stepped off the No. 6 train and onto a nearly empty platform, his evening took an unexpected turn.

He was walking toward the stairs when a teenage boy approached and pulled out a knife.

"He wants my money, so I just gave him my wallet and told him, 'Here you go,'" Diaz says.

As the teen began to walk away, Diaz told him, "Hey, wait a minute. You forgot something. If you're going to be robbing people for the rest of the night, you might as well take my coat to keep you warm."

The would-be robber looked at his would-be victim, "like what's going on here?" Diaz says. "He asked me, 'Why are you doing this?'"

Diaz replied: "If you're willing to risk your freedom for a few dollars, then I guess you must really need the money. I mean, all I wanted to do was get dinner and if you really want to join me ... hey, you're more than welcome.

"You know, I just felt maybe he really needs help," Diaz says.

Diaz says he and the teen went into the diner and sat in a booth.

"The manager comes by, the dishwashers come by, the waiters come by to say hi," Diaz says. "The kid was like, 'You know everybody here. Do you own this place?'"

"No, I just eat here a lot," Diaz says he told the teen. "He says, 'But you're even nice to the dishwasher.'"

Diaz replied, "Well, haven't you been taught you should be nice to everybody?"

"Yea, but I didn't think people actually behaved that way," the teen said.

Diaz asked him what he wanted out of life. "He just had almost a sad face," Diaz says.

The teen couldn't answer Diaz — or he didn't want to.

When the bill arrived, Diaz told the teen, "Look, I guess you're going to have to pay for this bill 'cause you have my money and I can't pay for this. So if you give me my wallet back, I'll gladly treat you."

The teen "didn't even think about it" and returned the wallet, Diaz says. "I gave him $20 ... I figure maybe it'll help him. I don't know."

Diaz says he asked for something in return — the teen's knife — "and he gave it to me."

Afterward, when Diaz told his mother what happened, she said, "You're the type of kid that if someone asked you for the time, you gave them your watch."

"I figure, you know, if you treat people right, you can only hope that they treat you right. It's as simple as it gets in this complicated world."

Produced for Morning Edition by Michael Garofalo.

A Victim Treats His Mugger Right : NPR

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
This is an old story, but I want to bump it because it helped me out of a similar situation.

I was held up an knife point. Instead of sh!tting myself and handing over my wallet I swore and berated the kid for being so stupid and irresponsible for his own well being. "whatthe****iswrongwithyou?Areyou****ingserious?Whywouldyoudothis?" This feeble dialogue led to him apologizing and explaining his need and lack of funds to get home. To which I responded: 'jesuschrist,havesome****ingfaithinpeople.Thesubwayistwo****ingdollars,justbumthemoney!!!"

Short version: I showed some concern, gave the little **** $20 and told him to get home safe. Everybody walks away richer and unharmed. This story influenced my response, and I will promote it. Everyone desperate enough to commit armed robbery is in a desperate situation. A little empathy goes a long way.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Not everyone who commits armed robbery is desperate. Never reward a fool that has a blatant disregard for your life by pulling a knife on you or someone. Never! I'll bet if Mr. robber was able to jack up enough money, he/she wouldn't spend it on rent or food, they would more then likely smoke or drink it up.... Said robber gets to rob another day.... Sadly Julio is the only one who benefits here....

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
I had a crack head try to rob me at butter knife point once in New Orleans. We had a conversation on the topic of "are you sure you can kill me with Mr. butter knife, because I know I can kill you with Mr. .357."

He ran away at full speed. Something about me screaming "run Forrest, run!!" I think added to it.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I had a crack head try to rob me at butter knife point once in New Orleans. We had a conversation on the topic of "are you sure you can kill me with Mr. butter knife, because I know I can kill you with Mr. .357."

He ran away at full speed. Something about me screaming "run Forrest, run!!" I think added to it.
The sad part is that a butter knife may have worked on prior victims. So when Mr. Crackhead sized you up and made the decision to go for it, He felt that you were in the same league as his other marks...

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Which at 220, and in really good shape at the time, it does make me wonder what goes through the mind of a crack head.

Then I remember my crack head clients. That pretty much fixes my urge to believe that "thinking" goes on in the mind of a Cracky.