Quantcast

Great riding buddy.. not so great co-worker.

shamrock

Monkey
Mar 25, 2008
Hoboken, NJ
I don't know what to do anymore...

I have this good friend at work who I ride with. SUCH a good friend that he went out of his way to help me pick up my son from camp when they called me out of the blue to get him. At work however, he drives me crazy & I'm at my wits end. There have been a number of times when I've had to redo his work for the sake of keeping the warehouse organized... I can't do my job in the midst of the chaos. Not to mention it's simply expected of us. He also doesn't follow direction very well & often needs to ask our supervisor for assurance on tasks & procedures that should be automatic. We've both been there about 3 years & it's as if he doesn't quite get it. I've tried to talk to him but he doesn't want to here it from me. He just takes it as if I'm trying to tell him what to do when all I'm trying to to is be a friend/co-worker. Having exhausted all other options I talked to our supervisor last week & she said that everyone in the office sees it & sat down with him. The next day he put in an effort but now we're back to the same old crap. There was an incident today & I tried to talk to him again but he said he wants to hear it from either our boss or supervisor. He doesn't realize the boss has better things to do than to micro manage him & won't say anything until it's too late & that the supervisor is trying to be suttle. I CAN'T SAVE THIS GUY FROM HIMSELF.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
If he's a real friend, show him what you have to redo, and explain that he's making your job more difficult. If he ignores you, he's not a friend and let him hang himself.

shamrock

Monkey
Mar 25, 2008
Hoboken, NJ
If he's a real friend, show him what you have to redo, and explain that he's making your job more difficult. If he ignores you, he's not a friend and let him hang himself.
I've tried to get him to fix his own work in the past only to hear things like "you do it then." I hear ya' about letting him hang himself... I'm still going to have to fix his messes though. That's what burns me the most. My supervisor realizes it's a character issue & even though she'd like him to change his ways she doesn't think he will. That said, the question is how much are they willing to put up with? Maybe I should take a vacation & leave him to his own devices for a week & see what happens then.