Quantcast

Greatest American.....what a load!

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Damn True said:
http://tv.channel.aol.com/greatestamerican

Seriously, only about 1/2 of these people deserve to be in the top 100, let alone top 25.

Boot the following from the list:
Lance
GWB
Clinton
Oprah
Elvis
Bob Hope
Walt Disney
Neil Armstrong
I dunno, except for GWB, Clinton and Elvis I dont see a problem, Bob Hope and Lance are questionable (but I am a big fan of Lance). I dont necessarily agree where they fall on the list, but significant American's none the less.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
wow i thought this thread was about that old tv show "greatest american hero" that lasted like 2 seasons.

my bad.

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
COmtbiker12 said:
Maybe they mean the greatest american by ones who impacted american culture... :think:
That's a good point, and makes some sense. Walt Disney? I know that he had a huge impact on American culture, but he didn't do much more than that. Not to mention that he was a bit of a nut, and a personal friend of Hitler...

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
biggins said:
wow i thought this thread was about that old tv show "greatest american hero" that lasted like 2 seasons.

my bad.
Hahaha I actually miss that show. The blonde dude with the afro. Great fun laughing at that show when I was young :)

I am curious why Neil Armstrong shouldn't be on the list.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Echo said:
That site is blocked here, but I'm curious what you have against Neil Armstrong?
It's probably not so much against him as much as that he's just a front man for an organization of 100s that all came together to something amazing. Props to Neil, but there should be an asterik after his name with a link too all the people who got him there along with the other guys on the crew and all the astronauts who came before him.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
So was the addition of Dubya just to a way to keep the Administration of its back, you know, from preventing claims of being un-American and against freedom? Imo, he is one of the last people who symbolize what this country was founded upon (esp the Bill of Rights).

I agree completely with whoever suggested MLK Jr. :thumb:

(yes, I know this belongs in the political forum)

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
reflux said:
So was the addition of Dubya just to a way to keep the Administration of its back, you know, from preventing claims of being un-American and against freedom? Imo, he is one of the last people who symbolize what this country was founded upon (esp the Bill of Rights).

I agree completely with whoever suggested MLK Jr. :thumb:

(yes, I know this belongs in the political forum)
I wouldn't vote him onto that pedestal either(although probably for different reasons), but he has presided during a very historically significant stretch of the American Landscape. Not including him would be like not including Washington, Jefferson, Lincoln, FDR, JFK, etc. regardless of your opinion on the job he's done. I will allow that it does sound odd to mention him with the others, though. :think:

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Meh... it's a list by the sheeple, for the sheeple. What do you expect from AOL (and the media in general)?

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
Between a rock and a hard place.
Neil Armstrong didn't do anything that any of the next 10 guys on the list couldn't or wouldn't have done had they been picked first. He could not have done what he did w/o thousands of others who toiled w/o recognition.

If they were going to pick an astronaut to be on the list I think the dudes in Apollo 13 would have been more fitting.

But, I think from that realm (flight, space etc) Chuck Yeager did more and did so far more independantly than any of the orbit or moonshot guys did.

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Damn True said:
Neil Armstrong didn't do anything that any of the next 10 guys on the list couldn't or wouldn't have done had they been picked first.

Ya but he did all the preliminary stuff better than those "next 10 guys." Thats why he was on the top of that list. :nuts:

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
llkoolkeg said:
I wouldn't vote him onto that pedestal either(although probably for different reasons), but he has presided during a very historically significant stretch of the American Landscape. Not including him would be like not including Washington, Jefferson, Lincoln, FDR, JFK, etc. regardless of your opinion on the job he's done. I will allow that it does sound odd to mention him with the others, though. :think:
If GWB is on the list, then so should Johnson and Nixon.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
biggins said:

my bad.
"Believe it or not I'm walking on air, never thought I could feel so free-ee-ee. Flying away on a wing and a prayer. Who could it be??? Believe it or not it's just me."

:D I never watched it or anything and I definitely didn't have a 7" of the theme song either. No, uhuh not me, must be thinking of someone else.

yonton228

Turbo Monkey
Mar 7, 2005
lacey washington
It is my understanding that people have been voting on who is the greatest. And the ones who got into the top 25 will be voted seperatley to find the #1 American.

RaID

Turbo Monkey
very confused how can you call Einstein, American?
most of his contribution to humanity and science was while he was
in Europe

my vote would be be Edison out of that list

but that being some very poor inclusions in there

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
manziman said:

My vote for Greatest American.
My vote too.

Also, my vote for manziman's most intelligent and most honorable post.

Bravo.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
The whole idea is a ripoff of something the CBC did a while ago, but why the hell isn't someone like Jonas Salk on the list?

And Neil Armstrong? Pfffft....Robert Goddard would have been a better place to start.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
BSEVEER said:
He is on the list.
Ah, I didn't see the top 100. I was only looking at the shortlist. Who came up with the top 100? It's embarrasing to see Brett Farve and Mel Gibson (who is an Aussie, isn't he?) flanking Ben Franklin.

Nice to see Mickey Mouse is more important to us than curing polio :D

jaydee

Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
Victoria BC
Man, I'd hate to meet Susan B. Anthony in a dark alley. And why are so many of the nominees named Bush? One is too many. Nice that Dr. Pill gets the nod over, say, Thomas Jefferson, or Nathan Hale, or Ira Hayes, or Spongebob.

BSEVEER

Monkey
Dec 23, 2004
SoCal
Silver said:
Ah, I didn't see the top 100. I was only looking at the shortlist. Who came up with the top 100? It's embarrasing to see Brett Farve and Mel Gibson (who is an Aussie, isn't he?) flanking Ben Franklin.

Nice to see Mickey Mouse is more important to us than curing polio :D

I watched it the other day, bored I guess. I'ts kind of hard to understand why some people got voted on to the list. John Edwards was one of then, wtf is that? I guess it's pretty subjective....

I agree Pau11y, Burt Rutan belongs on that list.