Quantcast

Green Day - American Idiot - what do you Monkeys think?

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
penguinofdoom said:
kraftwerk

aphex twin

dj assault - ass n titties (it's certainly origional.)

dj ricki rucker - sketchbook (not that anyone knows who he is, but it's 100% origional scratched music.) one of the most unique and origional albums i've ever heard. sure, it's all scratched. and its debateable because most of it is samples of others music. but its arranged in a way you'd never think possible.

i could go on.
Did you ever listen to The Flaming Lips' Zaireeka album?

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
It's catchy and good, like most of Green Day's stuff, but somehow, the "we have to do a political album because we feel strongly about politics now" sentiment just doesn't work for them (or, rather, for me, because it's my opinion).

I'm with Parts; if I want politics, I'll listen to Fugazi. But, then again, I'd rather listen to Green Day's politics than Rage Against the Machine's...

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
chicodude01 said:
EMO MUST DIE!!!

If emo goes down were taking you with us. :nuts:

It is the most annoying album ever, I third that motion. I liked Dookie, thats about it, it reminds me of middle school.

Serial Midget said:
Werd, Minor Threat, Social Distortion and the Dead Kennedys are punk.

edit: heres is somthing funny...

Notice the makeup on the eyes...

and notice the posuer's makeup.

:eviltongu

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Well... you can't be punk and a grammy nominee at the same time.

Punk as most people think of it is the comercialization of the New York underground scene of the 1970s and has no definition since it has been bastardized and diluted into a broad market term.

In my mind the Ramones were a bunch of punks. Malcolm McLaren was a punk but his creation the Sex Pistols were not.

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
the Inbred said:
still waiting for a definition of punk....

Punk is nonexistent anymore, so don't bother.

It's alot easier just to say "I like rock music." Instead of I like: metal punk alternitive blah blah blah.

arboc!

Turbo Monkey
Dec 18, 2004
spokane, WA
i find the music annoying and a lame attempt at non conformity.... look at me... im not normal b.s. but a few of the songs are the kind that stick in your head

Enginerd A2

crappy
Feb 20, 2002
Ann Arbor, MI
I would attempt to define punk as doing something, for yourself, BECAUSE YOU LIKE IT, with no regard for anyone's opinion on the outcome except your own.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Enginerd A2 said:
I would attempt to define punk as doing something, for yourself, BECAUSE YOU LIKE IT, with no regard for anyone's opinion on the outcome except your own.
I am punk because I eat donuts. Behold.

McT

Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
Texas
All I know is i'm damn tired of hearing broken dreams on the radio... its friggin annoying.

"No true punk band has sold over 10,000 albums..."

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
McT said:
All I know is i'm damn tired of hearing broken dreams on the radio... its friggin annoying.

that song sounds like it was written for avril laveeeeeeeen (sp?) and green day just ripped it off.

i like green day, but i am also a huge poser.

preppie

Monkey
Aug 30, 2002
Europe
the Inbred said:
still waiting for a definition of punk....
Nazi Punks F.ck Off from the Dead Kennedy's, is a good definition of what punk means to ME :

Punk ain't no religious cult
Punk means thinking for yourself
You ain't hardcore ‘coz you spike your hair
When a jock still lives inside your head

Nazi punks--F.ck Off!

If you've come to fight, get outta here
You ain't no better than the bouncers
We ain't trying to be police
When you ape the cops it ain't anarchy

Nazi punks…

Ten guys jump one, what a man
You fight each other, the police state wins
Stab your backs when you trash our halls
Trash a bank if you've got real balls

You still think swastikas look cool
The real nazis run your schools
They're coaches, businessmen and cops
In a real fourth reich you'll be the first to go

Nazi punks…

You'll be the first to go

Unless you think...

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
stosh said:
The people they're making fun of in their song are the ones buying the albumn which is the weird thing.....
I thought Green Day were the American Idiots AND their fans.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
You music nazis are as hung up on the definition of "punk" as the idiots on Pinkbike who sit around and scream at each other about the definition of "freeride". Everyone laughs at them, but in reality, this is no different.

Who frickin' cares what music category you pidgeonhole it into, or who else qualifies or doesn't qualify for the same category? If you like it, you like it. If you don't, you don't. Does calling it "punk" or "poser punk" or "pop punk" or "not punk at all" change your opinion of the CD?

:rolleyes:

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
binary visions said:
You music nazis are as hung up on the definition of "punk" as the idiots on Pinkbike who sit around and scream at each other about the definition of "freeride". Everyone laughs at them, but in reality, this is no different.

Who frickin' cares what music category you pidgeonhole it into, or who else qualifies or doesn't qualify for the same category? If you like it, you like it. If you don't, you don't. Does calling it "punk" or "poser punk" or "pop punk" or "not punk at all" change your opinion of the CD?

Amen Binary!

I could care less what genre it falls into - as for me, I consider it a really good album that's fun as hell to listen to. Funny thing is, my kids turned me on to the entire album. Liam got the CD with some present money because he likes Boulevard of Broken Dreams. :cool: So I popped it into the CD player on our drive to NY on Sunday and I was hooked onto the entire CD. Good CD to listen to when driving 1-90 at 10:30pm on a Sunday night!

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
SkaredShtles said:
You guys should try out some baroque and classical music for awhile........ geez.

-S.S.-
Dude, nothing written since Mahler should be considered "classical".. It's all just "poser classical"

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
binary visions said:
Dude, nothing written since Mahler should be considered "classical".. It's all just "poser classical"
I like the term "modern classical"......... WTF? :confused:

Just because you got an orchestra together and made them scrape and toot away on their instruments, does *not* make it classical. :p

-S.S.-

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
H8R said:
On that note, someone name me an original piece of music that has been written in the last 50 years.

Thought so.
christian marclay's stuff was pretty ground-breaking, even if you don't consider it music. same w/ that japanese dude who cut-up/scratched cds in order to tax the error-correction algorithms and see what came out.

harry partch's 43 tone per octave stuff was pioneering too.

in the pop/rock arena, it's a much more slippery slope.

i guess the question becomes, how does one define "original"?

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
greenday had eyeliner back on Dookie, didn't they?

narlus said: harry partch's 43 tone per octave stuff was pioneering too.

what? good lord. time to do some googling.

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
Green day is so far away from anything remotely considered punk music it's not even funny. I agree some of their older stuff fit the times better than their new album but they have gotten into that "catchy" list of groups putting out music that apeals to people now rather than what they really want to do.

There's music people would consider "punk" but none of it is really played much on radio OR TV for that matter. Once I start seeing "punk" bands on MTV and the radio you can tell they are looking to get paid. Sugarcult (way off topic) was a local small group locally, and then next thing I saw they were on MTV and such so good for them, they made it. Punk bands typically don't look for the big MTV breaks or anything. They tend to have a loyal following of just concert people and skate/surf venu's and such. I'm not saying they are "punk" but a band like Pennywise is an example. They really have no video's or anything but can pack a stage pretty much anywhere.

I don't care much for the politcal stuff in records. I hear enough crap on TV to cover any politcal need I have. I don't need my music saying the same stuff.

Back in the earley 90's, and mid to late 80's was PUNK music. There's some good stuff that comes out but bands like Good Charlete? LOL I can't even spell them as well as Green Day and others are just making music to get paid. They apeal to junior high-high school crowd and some outside of that but it's more of a market these days to make music then to make music because that's your passion. That's probably why every CD you buy now days has like 2-4 good songs on it out of like...........17-20? Go figure.....

Oh well........enough ranting. :)

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Spunger said:
Back in the earley 90's, and mid to late 80's was PUNK music. There's some good stuff that comes out but bands like Good Charlete?
Must be tough for you old-time punkers to deal with it all these days, eh?

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
binary visions said:

Ahhh... don't take it too seriously... at least nothing I say, anyway. It's music. Enjoy it, don't over analyze it.

I don't care much about classifying the music... it's just fun to hassle the neo-punk kids and the old school punk curmudgeons (sp?). Harumph harumph harumph!
:D

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
LOL I'm 23.......I dunno about how "old time" I am but it's like saying Papa Roach is in the list with the best metal bands. I just don't think so.

Music is such a personal prefrence it's not even funny. I don't mind most of it but there are alot of bands out there that claim they are "punk" but are far from it. Same goes for metal, country, other types etc.... I think POP music in general (jessica simpson & her sister, stuff on MTV ETC......is the only music that you can't really stick them in and say they are copying something else. Hehe...they all copy eachother!

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i'm 39 and i feel i missed punk's era too, which was really in the 1977-1980 time frame. hardcore picked up from that, and i caught the tail end during high school.

anyone ever hear about "Rock, Rot, or Rule"? the drummer from superchunk and the guy who used to put out 18 Wheeler fanzine teamed up for some good comedy.

http://www.markprindle.com/scharpling.htm#rock

buy it here:

http://stereolaffs.com/old_site/rock,_rot_&_rule.htm

also check out this (the music scholar is f'ing GREAT):

http://stereolaffs.com/old_site/chainfights.htm

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
I have heard only two songs off the album, but those are two more than I wish I'd heard. "American Idiot" and "Boulevard of Broken Dreams" have too derivative a sound and lyrics that lack both imagination and artistic courage. "American Idiot" is SO similar to The Descendents " 'Merican" and it has absolutely no edge. Guys- when you're just going along with the popular sentiment, it ain't punk no more. "Boulevard of Broken Dreams" takes the same tired 'road of life' metaphor nowhere new. I guess I should be happy the song wasn't about teen angst or how parents suck and nobody understands me. I wonder how long before some other band tries to sell us "Street of Shattered Desires" or "Avenue of Lost Aspirations". To make matters worse, you cannot turn on a radio without hearing either song within five minutes...and they both SUCK!

I'll be the first to admit I bought "Dookie" when it came out and I still like it to this day. I have yet to hear anything since that does it for me out of them, though. Their collective muse seems to have dried up and expired rather quickly.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Spunger said:
Green day is so far away from anything remotely considered punk music it's not even funny. I agree some of their older stuff fit the times better than their new album but they have gotten into that "catchy" list of groups putting out music that apeals to people now rather than what they really want to do.

There's music people would consider "punk" but none of it is really played much on radio OR TV for that matter. Once I start seeing "punk" bands on MTV and the radio you can tell they are looking to get paid. Sugarcult (way off topic) was a local small group locally, and then next thing I saw they were on MTV and such so good for them, they made it. Punk bands typically don't look for the big MTV breaks or anything. They tend to have a loyal following of just concert people and skate/surf venu's and such. I'm not saying they are "punk" but a band like Pennywise is an example. They really have no video's or anything but can pack a stage pretty much anywhere.

I don't care much for the politcal stuff in records. I hear enough crap on TV to cover any politcal need I have. I don't need my music saying the same stuff.

Back in the earley 90's, and mid to late 80's was PUNK music. There's some good stuff that comes out but bands like Good Charlete? LOL I can't even spell them as well as Green Day and others are just making music to get paid. They apeal to junior high-high school crowd and some outside of that but it's more of a market these days to make music then to make music because that's your passion. That's probably why every CD you buy now days has like 2-4 good songs on it out of like...........17-20? Go figure.....

Oh well........enough ranting. :)
What's wrong with "looking to get paid?" I wouldn't mind getting paid. What's wrong with writing music that will appeal to people? And besides, who are you to judge what a band "really wants to do?" Do you know them? Did you talk to the members of Greenday and Pennywise last night and compared answers?

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
Green Day doesn't give a flying F*** what you think about them. They made an album they wanted to make. That's what makes them punk.