Votes: 48 50.0%
  • Hate Them

Votes: 34 35.4%

• Total voters

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I don't like Green Day. I didn't care for them when they broke with Dookie, and I don't think much of them today.

However, I see plenty of commercials and TV specials annointing them as the "most influential band" of today.

I was wondering what other people thought of them and why anyone would think they are important.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Man, why do people always moan a band is "main stream" or they "sold out". I simply don't get it, it's a band, they make decent music.

People listen to them, and now they can pay the rent and buy blow and a cool bus.

I think they are ok, i wouldn't go out of my way to listen to them, but i can hum along to a few songs when it's on the radio.

Do i think they are th emost influential band of the era?

Probably not, and they certainly aren't Nirvana, Eric Clapton or Jimi Hendrix; but you can't argue the fact that they have heavily influenced modern music (particularly late 90s early 2k bubble gum punk). They have clearly left their mark.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
The fact that I don't care for Green Day doesn't mean that I don't respect them for being a successful band. Someone has to bring in the dough, and they seem decent enough.

However, when I think of influential bands which are still around today, names like The Pixies or Bad Religion come to mind. I doubt their record sales together add up to Green Day's, though.

Really, when I think about the adjective "influential", I cannot think of any bands that I want to listen to which Green Day has influenced. Does bands like Sum 41 or Avril Lavigne have to pay a tribute? Sure, but I don't want to listen to them either.

I think when Green Day is wrapped up, I doubt they will leave much of a legacy. I think the cool music of today, power-punk-pop, will be gone in less than 5 years, and Green Day will be forgotten. Think of it this way, anyone still listen to Even Flow or Jeremy?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Transcend said:
Man, why do people always moan a band is "main stream" or they "sold out". I simply don't get it, it's a band, they make decent music.
I remember a line from a radio interview with Metallica, right after they released the "Black Album".

Very nice and not-sarcastic-at-all fans called up and asked them why did Metallica sell out. Lars Ulrich would enthusiastically respond with, "We sold out. We sold out every arena and stadium we play at."

Of course, I know plenty of Metallica fans that think they sold out with Master Of Puppets.

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
Ballard 4 life.
I like them, and even own a few of their albums (1039, Kerplunk, and International Superhits). I wouldn't call them legacy, but they have been influential to the music industry, and I believe that they have done it in their own way without selling out. When we sart equating 'selling out' or just plain old sucking with being main stream, we will have a problem because many bands are famous because they ARE good and haven't sold out. I also think Greenday's music will be around for a while.

Sanjuro, Ten is one of my favorite albums, and Evenflow and Jeremy are on my top ten songs list. Pearl Jam is a great band, and unfortunately I don't think that the music industry has been influenced enough by them.

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
I like them well enough, even though I don't think they are all influential as some make them out to be.

But they were one of the first bands I listened to and opened me up to the world of punk (Not saying they are punk though)

Green day = Gateway drug

Goddy43

Monkey
Apr 21, 2005
chicodude said:
I like them well enough, even though I don't think they are all influential as some make them out to be.

But they were one of the first bands I listened to and opened me up to the world of punk (Not saying they are punk though)

Green day = Gateway drug
I agree, they were the first CD I ever bought and also opened me the world of Punk.

Back when they first started they were punk, (Dookie/Kerplunk/1039..) but their style has changed over the years to be more of a "pop" sound (god I hate that word). While I don't listen to them on a regular basis now I still like them and buy thier albums.

corey_rideDC

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
DCmetro
like many, many bands out there... i enjoy them and like the music, but i HATE the people that swear by it. like chico said above, they're a gateway band, a good way to introduce your 9 year old son to punk rock. but you can't stop there, you gotta dig into rancid, then op ivy, then the clash, then gang of four and on and on and on....

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
up until american idiot came out on the radio they were pretty good. international superhits will never get old for me. but i just cant stand their stupid "emo" crap like boulevard of broken dreams that they are playing now.

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
corey_dcstreet said:
like many, many bands out there... i enjoy them and like the music, but i HATE the people that swear by it. like chico said above, they're a gateway band, a good way to introduce your 9 year old son to punk rock. but you can't stop there, you gotta dig into rancid, then op ivy, then the clash, then gang of four and on and on and on....
rancid is pretty good. their bassist is extremely talented. just listen to maxwell murder if you want to hear a sweet bass solo.

I think the only Green Day album I have is Kerplunk, and have only heard a little of their new stuff and haven't cared for it. If you like Green Day, atleast their older stuff I suggest you try to get your hands on some Crimpshrine or Fifteen.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
i like green day. they sure have some friggin staying power as well. look at all the other bands that were getting popular when they were most of which are no longer around.

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
I don't think Green Day has done much influential, ground-breaking work until their latest album. Yeah, Dookie was good textbook punk music. Punk bands are a dime a dozen though. American Idiot, however, is a soundtrack for a generation and GD upped the ante with the entire rock opera concept and then they successfully pulled it off. I think they deserve a lot of credit for it. I also think they're way overplayed (though this is out of their control). This gives them a lot to live up to on their next album.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
bluebug32 said:
I don't think Green Day has done much influential, ground-breaking work until their latest album. Yeah, Dookie was good textbook punk music. Punk bands are a dime a dozen though. American Idiot, however, is a soundtrack for a generation and GD upped the ante with the entire rock opera concept and then they successfully pulled it off. I think they deserve a lot of credit for it. I also think they're way overplayed (though this is out of their control). This gives them a lot to live up to on their next album.

Perhaps they will become like U2 where they can churn out crappy album after crappy album and their fans don't care because they are U2.

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
Well they aren't the Dead Kennedys, but they deserve a lot of credit for bringing some punk into the mainstream, and they've been around for a long time, heck they were a band before most of RM could ride a bike.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
bikerpunk98199 said:
i freaking hate them there main stream and all there songs are power cords. they SUCK
It's a good thing real punk rock bands never use power chords. :rolleyes:

As far as Green Day is concerned... well.. meh. They are OK... A bit mediocre where actual musical skill is concerned (at least what comes through on their albums, anyway). But then they're just a power pop band. I have always said that if you are really looking for technically good or difficult music you are probably not looking at pop music.

Anyhoo... They have catchy hooks, and are a fun bubblegum band. I can take em or leave em. They should ditch the make-up though. Hell, even Prince doesn't wear that much eyeliner. Of course Prince is a much better musician... maybe there's a correlation between the amount of make-up you wear and actual musical skill. :think:

splat

Nam I am
I enjoy listening to them , I don't think there is any thing Revolutioanry about them though.

Transcend said:
Probably not, and they certainly aren't Nirvana, Eric Clapton or Jimi Hendrix; but you can't argue the fact that they have heavily influenced modern music (particularly late 90s early 2k bubble gum punk). They have clearly left their mark.
For that Matter I think Nirvana is overhyped too.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
N8 said:
Perhaps they will become like U2 where they can churn out crappy album after crappy album and their fans don't care because they are U2.
U2 holds a funny place in my collection. I heard New Year's Day in High School, before a lot of radio play. I bought the early 4 albums, then the next two. The first three were not like anything I heard at the time, and the fourth one, War, is still their best. The next two albums were a maturation of the band, and I liked it.

They might have blown it since then, but I don't think they have "sold-out" like a lot of bands. I am might be wrong about this, but I just think they got old and lost it, but I do believe they tried to put out the best music possible.

J

JRB

narlus said:
you must prefer the ones written by full-on retards.

I like Alan Jackson, but had to click the quote to know that was Toby Keith. ugh - I was at an event back sometime ago, involving horses and cattle and he was at the state fair. Some folks had a steer that was owned by Miller beer named Bubba. He had a saddle and you could ride him. Toby Keith was a scared pussy, and wouldn't. I walked by and said "shoulda been a cowboy my ass". He sucks balls. :mumble:

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
Back in the early 90s, I pretty much liked all of their songs--now, not so much. However, some of their new songs are still pretty good...

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Reactor said:
Well they aren't the Dead Kennedys, but they deserve a lot of credit for bringing some punk into the mainstream, and they've been around for a long time, heck they were a band before most of RM could ride a bike.
I'm not sure that's a positive. Punk used to have negative connotations, as an adjective and a music form. That is what made it appealing as an alternative from mainstream rock.

Now when Ashley Simpson wears the word across her chest, or Avril Lavigne becomes a superstar with the same songwriting staff as Ricky Martin and the Backstreet Boys, it is hard to think of Punk Rock as a success story.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
sanjuro said:
I'm not sure that's a positive. Punk used to have negative connotations, as an adjective and a music form. That is what made it appealing as an alternative from mainstream rock.

Now when Ashley Simpson wears the word across her chest, or Avril Lavigne becomes a superstar with the same songwriting staff as Ricky Martin and the Backstreet Boys, it is hard to think of Punk Rock as a success story.
One of the things that first attracted me to punk rock was the negative connotations and that it really was an alternative to the mainstream stuff. As time went by I began looking for other forms of music. Eventually I discovered that it was the commercial forms of music that I didn't like too much... music made simply to sell to the masses and generate money. No soul in that kind of music.

Lately I have been listening to Irish traditional music. The tunes and songs that came out of the Irish revolutionary period are really intense. And they can be considered very punk rock in attitude.

Punk rock is dead. Thankfully there will always be someone willing to buck the system and make music for music's sake.

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
Ballard 4 life.
Ciaran said:
One of the things that first attracted me to punk rock was the negative connotations and that it really was an alternative to the mainstream stuff. As time went by I began looking for other forms of music. Eventually I discovered that it was the commercial forms of music that I didn't like too much... music made simply to sell to the masses and generate money. No soul in that kind of music.

Lately I have been listening to Irish traditional music. The tunes and songs that came out of the Irish revolutionary period are really intense. And they can be considered very punk rock in attitude.

Punk rock is dead. Thankfully there will always be someone willing to buck the system and make music for music's sake.
One of the reasons I like the Dropkick Murpheys is that they seem to capture that beligerent intensity of Irish and Celtic music.

steve45

Monkey
Sep 30, 2003
Dundee, Scotland
i think they are ok, i mean they come out with some catchy tunes.
i used to really like them back kerrplunk dookie era hell even as far as nimrod, but i really dont care for they're latest stuff far to political "i'm trying to make a statement" sorta stuff.
plus the latest couple of albums just dont have the same sound and staying power, if i had bought them they would probably get a couple of plays, then chucked in the pile never to be listened to again.