Quantcast

green flashing LCD?

corey_rideDC

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
DCmetro
i've looked everywhere for an answer to this, but haven't found anything. i've got a dell 24" LCD that i've had for a little over a year (just out of warranty). for the past several months i've had intermittent green flashes on the screen. at first it was so slight, i didn't care. now, it's getting annoying. could this be a bad DVI cable?

the flashes are typically in stripes, not the whole screen. and i've tightened and cleaned all the connections and wiggled the cable (if you know what i mean :D)

any ideas? hellllllp!

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Unless you got it refurbished the monitor should have a 3 year warranty not 1.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
not when purchased as a package :(
Ah. When you purchase refurb monitors the warranty is normally 1 year unless you buy it with a system in which case it takes the system's warranty (which I guess it does with new systems too). Consumer line like Inspiron/Dimension = 1 year. Professional line like Latitude/Optiplex = 3 years on system and monitor. If you buy the monitor separate its 3 years.

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
Corey,

If you want to try a different DVI cable, I've got a drawer of them here at work (~100-150). Our computers all have been coming with VGA and DVI cables for the last few years, but PCs only have VGA cards.

I'll let you have one. I can't use them for anything. I'm in town this weekend on babysit duty, so no ride, but will probably be out and about. Let me know.

Certified Drunk

SVT-Lightning
Feb 17, 2002
Zippy's Burgers
I had never seen the green flash till last week, Since the Blue Angeles were in town and Sea-Tac was diverting air traffic over my house. A 747 had just past by and than I got the green flashes on the screen. Since air traffic is back to normal, I haven't seen them since.

corey_rideDC

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
DCmetro
Corey,

If you want to try a different DVI cable, I've got a drawer of them here at work (~100-150). Our computers all have been coming with VGA and DVI cables for the last few years, but PCs only have VGA cards.

I'll let you have one. I can't use them for anything. I'm in town this weekend on babysit duty, so no ride, but will probably be out and about. Let me know.
thanks peter, i took your advice and brought one home from work. looks pretty good so far.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I had never seen the green flash till last week, Since the Blue Angeles were in town and Sea-Tac was diverting air traffic over my house. A 747 had just past by and than I got the green flashes on the screen. Since air traffic is back to normal, I haven't seen them since.
You were probably drunk.