Quantcast

Green is good.....

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
GM was good to us today. Did the semi standard Skookum tour. This time climbing up to the drop down into Tin Mine. Then up to the vista. We rode the long way back to the Gold Creek side all without hardly any rain. It was pretty crowded out there too.

GM is very rocky so it holds up to water pretty well. But even so we got nice and muddy.....

trailhacker

Turbo Monkey
Jan 6, 2003
In the hills around Seattle
oly said:
GM was good to us today. Did the semi standard Skookum tour. This time climbing up to the drop down into Tin Mine. Then up to the vista. We rode the long way back to the Gold Creek side all without hardly any rain. It was pretty crowded out there too.

GM is very rocky so it holds up to water pretty well. But even so we got nice and muddy.....
You suck:p Eh, I don't have a bike anyway:mumble:

Amy

holliswood

Monkey
Mar 16, 2004
University Place
oly said:

Are you talking about Green Mountain out past Bremerton? If you are we were out there today too sucka'!

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
holliswood said:
Are you talking about Green Mountain out past Bremerton? If you are we were out there today too sucka'!
For sure! We were at the Gold Creek trailhead. Where did you guys ride from?? DH/XC?? It was so good out there... (had to say that again to make Amy mad... :) )

I did see 2 guys on Gemini's roll off as we were at the car after the ride. They wernt you guys tho....

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
i wanted to hang out at the Seattle Boat Show, but i'm glad Oly drug my lazy ass out for a good ride. Nothing tastes better than Green Mt. Puddle Soup.

BuddhaRoadkill

I suck at Tool
Feb 15, 2004
Chintimini Bog
oly said:
For sure! We were at the Gold Creek trailhead. Where did you guys ride from?? DH/XC?? It was so good out there... (had to say that again to make Amy mad... :) )

I did see 2 guys on Gemini's roll off as we were at the car after the ride. They wernt you guys tho....
DH? On Green Mountain? We must have gone the wrong way. Only been there once. Took the big bikes and went in at WildCat, got annoyed at the rolly factor and rode the road up to the Vista. Great view for certain. Is the Gold Creek side less rolly? The terrain was awesome but I'm not really a fan of rolly polly trails. Prefer a long nutritious climb followed by decadent descent. Peppering the two together like WildCat just gets annoying. Perhaps on the little bikes it would have been more fun. Got a suggested route?

Mut

Monkey
Dec 23, 2004
Renton, WA
holliswood said:
You went up hill!? With Marty??!! You must of had the six pack of BUD light waiting at the top or something.

BuddhaRoadkill

I suck at Tool
Feb 15, 2004
Chintimini Bog
oly said:
I think Tims loop has the best bang for the buck. Some climbing on trail, but so much more decending, plus we get to see tinmine while its still there.
What is this "Tims loop" [Skookum?] of which you speak?
Looking at the map and following Psycho!'s suggestion, how is going in at Gold Creek, rolling up GM-6 to GM-17 to Vista and then down Gold Creek? Good for a loop or two?
Will probably be up visiting again soon and looking for soggy options. Rumor is those other "once secret, now famous - and illegal" trails are rivers this time of year. :(

IMO, If your on a big bike, your only real option is Gold Creek. The road to the top, from the GC lot, is realatively flat for quite a while......then it goes straight up to the top, steep for a mile or more. 1 loop may leave you wanting more, two loops is a killer.
If your on a bike you can pedal, I'd suggest exploring a bit, great trails to be had.

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Tims loop is XC for sure. A big bike is possible if strong. Trailhacker did it on a demo 9 once.

For the main skookum loop, We start at gold creek trailhead. Ride up the valley GM6, and up the long steep road to the vista GM17. If its nice we go to the top, otherwise drop into Wildcat and take the right passing gold creek. We stay on Wildcat up to where Beaverpond trail starts. You do that trail to the newly opened Plumber trail and rick that back down to where it hits the creek. If you have energy you can go back up to GM6, Gold Creek, or even tin mine, or you take a right and drop to the road.

If i was just on big bike... laps of Gold creek for sure. Too bad you cant shuttle GM.... That would probably be one of the best shuttles out there....

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
The tin mine trail dropping down to the new Gold Creek parking lot is fun too. Probably the longest steepest section.

There is also a trail i've spied coming off of Gold Mt. that is right in the soon to be logged zone, that i've spied coming down Tin Mine. i do believe this is the supposed trail you need jedi skills to come down, for what that's worth....

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Skookum said:
The tin mine trail dropping down to the new Gold Creek parking lot is fun too. Probably the longest steepest section.

There is also a trail i've spied coming off of Gold Mt. that is right in the soon to be logged zone, that i've spied coming down Tin Mine. i do believe this is the supposed trail you need jedi skills to come down, for what that's worth....
We need to try that trail then.... it would be worth it before its all gone,,,, even if its tough.....

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Petite Fluer said:
Might try Green Mountain on Sunday morning with my brother...sup?
SEERYASS? you in town?? We were gonna do a capital ride mixed with trail work, but maybe doing GM would be cool too. Been a while since we rode.....

Hit me up on PM with your #.

Spokompton

Monkey
May 15, 2005
Spokane WA
oly said:
Tims loop is XC for sure. A big bike is possible if strong. Trailhacker did it on a demo 9 once.

For the main skookum loop, We start at gold creek trailhead. Ride up the valley GM6, and up the long steep road to the vista GM17. If its nice we go to the top, otherwise drop into Wildcat and take the right passing gold creek. We stay on Wildcat up to where Beaverpond trail starts. You do that trail to the newly opened Plumber trail and rick that back down to where it hits the creek. If you have energy you can go back up to GM6, Gold Creek, or even tin mine, or you take a right and drop to the road.

If i was just on big bike... laps of Gold creek for sure. Too bad you cant shuttle GM.... That would probably be one of the best shuttles out there....
Ohhhhhhh, but YOU CAN shuttle green mountain. It is open during late spring summer and early fall. You can drive to horse camp or vista parking lot. Gate is located on Northwest side off Tahuya road (same road gold creek is on).

It is best to have 4 people and alternate shuttle duty. One person provides shuttle for a run and then switches with someone else. That way it only needs one car and goes faster. We've done close to 5 DH wildcat/or gold creek runs in a single day doing this. It is also fun to just shuttle the upper part of green mountain.

WARNING! Stay off Tin mine/Gold mountain trail. This area is extemely saturated right now with water and could be dangerous from the chance of mud slides. IT isn't very fun to ride either due to the excess moisture and mud.