Quantcast

Green Mountain, Lakewood, CO

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
Green Mountain is a small mountain just west of Denver. Its a great place to bring beginner mtb'ers, which is what we did on Sunday. Trails aren't technical at all, except for a few loose short climbs. Everything else is fast smooth singletrack with great views from the top. The whole mountain is a nice combination of short climbs, short downhills and roller coaster-like singletrack. I only got a few pics from the climb up. Everything after that was too fun to stop and take pictures.

Not sure who this rider is, but this is a typical Green Mtn shot. Nothing technical or very steep...just smooth continuous singletrack.

And looking the other way, the trail continues on toward the top. This is about a 2 mile climb. Just enough for newbies to feel the pain of climbing yet still be able to make it to the top and get a good sense of accomplishment.

Here's my man Charlie on the way up.

View of Denver, off in the distance.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
My Green Mountain looks much greener than your Green Mountain haha!

i wonder how many Green Mountains on the planet there are to ride?

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
PonySoldier said:
How was the Breeze there on Sunday??
It wasn't as bad as I thought it'd be. At the top it was gusting 30-35 mph, but down lower it was a non-factor. At the very top, one of our beginners was blown off the road, but she's fine and laughed it off.

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
Skookum said:
My Green Mountain looks much greener than your Green Mountain haha!
Yeah, everthing in your area is much greener. Around here, plants green up for a while in the spring, but then go back to shades of brown and greenish-brown by summer, turn completely brown in the fall, and stay that way until the next spring.

One thing that's always cracked me up about Colorado is the sign that's posted next to highway 70 on the Colorado/Kansas border. It says "Welcome to Colorful Colorado", and is surrounded by nothing but brown grasses and tumbleweeds.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I'm not a big fan of Green Mt. It is way too brown -- as has been pointed out. Also, when I bring new rider friends, there are too many hot shots out there trying to bomb the runs.

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
LordOpie said:
Also, when I bring new rider friends, there are too many hot shots out there trying to bomb the runs.
What's your favorite place to take new riders? Besides GM, about the only other trail I've found that's more than a bike path yet still mellow enough for beginners is Heil Ranch.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
pixelninja said:
Yeah, everthing in your area is much greener. Around here, plants green up for a while in the spring, but then go back to shades of brown and greenish-brown by summer, turn completely brown in the fall, and stay that way until the next spring.

One thing that's always cracked me up about Colorado is the sign that's posted next to highway 70 on the Colorado/Kansas border. It says "Welcome to Colorful Colorado", and is surrounded by nothing but brown grasses and tumbleweeds.
Yah a big portion of our state is like that as well. The whole southeastern section on the other side of the Cascades doesn't resemble "The Evergreen State" that much. i've heard your state is fairly similiar in that the west and east side are very different.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
pixelninja said:
What's your favorite place to take new riders? Besides GM, about the only other trail I've found that's more than a bike path yet still mellow enough for beginners is Heil Ranch.
Elk Meadows is nice. Flying J is another good one.

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
Skookum said:
i've heard your state is fairly similiar in that the west and east side are very different.
Well, kind of. You've got the east side which is high plains dry, and then there's the west side which is desert dry.

We've got some nice mountains in the middle...unless they're on fire...

Ascentrek

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Golden, CO
LordOpie said:
Elk Meadows is nice. Flying J is another good one.
Flying J is good (not aerobic), Green is good for aerobic exercise, not to technical. Waterton Canyon is great, even portions of the climb aren't bad for beginners.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Ascentrek said:
Flying J is good (not aerobic)...
yeah, but most newbies aren't really in the cycling fitness shape.

Ascentrek said:
Waterton Canyon is great, even portions of the climb aren't bad for beginners.
There's only four switchbacks, other than that, yeah, it's good for a beginner in decent condition.

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
LordOpie said:
yeah, but most newbies aren't really in the cycling fitness shape.
GM was perfect for the newbie we took. She's a marathon runner, so she didn't have too much problem with the climbing. It was the downhills that scared her. I just couldn't get her to stand on the pedals to get her weight back. She ended up walking down most stuff, so I'm glad we didn't take her any place technical.

Ascentrek

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Golden, CO
My wife likes GM. Its a great 'pick and choose' based on time and the ability to want to get. For her, the uphills are as challenging as she likes, and the Downhills are relatively simple for her.

One of the quality trails on that mountain is heading due west from the summit. That DH is a fun, on the ridge singletrack. The end is especially steep and challenging. Althought short and not technical, that trail is fun.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
pixelninja said:
Green Mountain is a small mountain just west of Denver. Its a great place to bring beginner mtb'ers, which is what we did on Sunday. Trails aren't technical at all, except for a few loose short climbs.
Get off the beaten path some time - there are trails all *over* that mountain. Some are quite challenging.

Oh - just don't do it when it's muddy. The mud off the main trails can be heinous.