Quantcast

Green Tea

TheBiggmann

Chimp
Jun 21, 2006
So, actual green tea is a good metabolism booster right? I love the Lipton Green Tea just for something to drink. Am I getting an metabolism boosting effects out of that stuff or is it just mainly junk with a little green tea thrown in? I'm probably not gonna stop drinking it if you tell me I'm not but I just wondered if there was any bonus to me doing it. Thanks!
P.S. I posted about good things to mix protein with before, and for anyone who is wondering, orange juice works great with vanilla protein, you can't even taste it :) Everyone comes out ahead!

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
I'm not a fan of the lipton stuff. If you look at the ingredients list, there are so many things I can't even try to pronounce let alone figure out what they are. I drink the Arizona green tea. It's got simple ingredients (brewed green tea, honey, water).

As far as effects, I do feel a bit peppier in the morning and more so than usual. I'm not sure if it's all the tea I drink (min 1 gal/day), but I have lost a few pounds and the green tea is the only thing I've done differently. Although I do piss like race horse.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
I'm not a fan of the lipton stuff. If you look at the ingredients list, there are so many things I can't even try to pronounce let alone figure out what they are. I drink the Arizona green tea. It's got simple ingredients (brewed green tea, honey, water).

As far as effects, I do feel a bit peppier in the morning and more so than usual. I'm not sure if it's all the tea I drink (min 1 gal/day), but I have lost a few pounds and the green tea is the only thing I've done differently. Although I do piss like race horse.
If you are drinking the Arizona Tea, its the sugar thats got you feeling peppy. Tea also has caffeine in it. A gallon probably has a lot of caffeine in it.

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
WHOO HOOO! CAFFEINE!!! :banana:

At the very least, it's only 800 calories per gallon, compared to the 1500+ calories I used to drink between soda, coffee, juices, ghettoades, etc... At least now I'm keeping my caloric intake around 2500 per day compared to 3500+++

and... I PISS LIKE A RACE HORSE! :thumb:

NJ Jess

Monkey
Sep 23, 2006
mtbnj.com
Green Tea does boost your metabolism mostly due to it's type of caffeine. What is also very interesting, but lesser known, is that it promotes using free fatty acids for energy verse glucose. In other words, when you are drinking it, your body then switches to burning fat instead of the sugar in your blood stream. Overtime,...you can lose weight.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
Green Tea does boost your metabolism mostly due to it's type of caffeine. What is also very interesting, but lesser known, is that it promotes using free fatty acids for energy verse glucose. In other words, when you are drinking it, your body then switches to burning fat instead of the sugar in your blood stream. Overtime,...you can lose weight.
I'd like to see a study that proves the effectiveness of green tea isn't lost when it's brewed and stored in a can or bottle for x number of months or years. If such a study has already been performed, will someone please link it?

TheBiggmann

Chimp
Jun 21, 2006
what about the Lipton "Pure Leaf" stuff. I had some of that the other day and it was alright, a lot less sweet than the other stuff. I still have to stop and try some of the Arizona stuff.

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
I'm too lazy to boil water. I'd rather save that extra 5 minutes for tooling on my bikes. $2.50/gallon isn't that bad compared to $2.50 for a Monster.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
The new Crystal Lite, On the Go, Green Tea is great. It comes in small packets that you add to water; honey, peach, raspberry

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
The bottled pre sweetened stuff is garbage. Brew your own, it tastes better, is cheaper and better for you. Go for the loose stuff and you can brew a gallon at a time. Five minutes of work and you have several days worth. I am a big fan of. Adiago's Jasmine Green. I'd avoid the Japanese varieties, they te nd to taste like grass clippings.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Asian grass clippings. :D

The bottled pre sweetened stuff is garbage. Brew your own, it tastes better, is cheaper and better for you. Go for the loose stuff and you can brew a gallon at a time. Five minutes of work and you have several days worth. I am a big fan of. Adiago's Jasmine Green. I'd avoid the Japanese varieties, they te nd to taste like grass clippings.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
If you let it sit , most of the health benefits go out the window.....it needs to be brewed at the correct temperature and consumed soon after.

BikeMike

Monkey
Feb 24, 2006
If you let it sit , most of the health benefits go out the window.....it needs to be brewed at the correct temperature and consumed soon after.
I'm interested. Do you have a reference?

I think that oxidation of the green-tea polyphenols depends largely on water pH (and probably somewhat on dissolved oxygen.) Also, I'd think that if they're stable enough to be plunged into near-boiling water, survive the food-intake system, circulate and have activity, they're going to have to be fairly stable, so cold water for a few days might not be so bad.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
One again science rules; this time in quotations with grammatical correction.

I think that oxidation of the green-tea poly-phenols depends largely on water pH (and probably somewhat on dissolved oxygen.) Also, I'd think that if they're stable enough to be plunged into near-boiling water, survive the food-intake system, circulate and have activity, they're going to have to be fairly stable so cold water for a few days might not be so bad.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
I'm interested. Do you have a reference?

I think that oxidation of the green-tea polyphenols depends largely on water pH (and probably somewhat on dissolved oxygen.) Also, I'd think that if they're stable enough to be plunged into near-boiling water, survive the food-intake system, circulate and have activity, they're going to have to be fairly stable, so cold water for a few days might not be so bad.
The info is out there and not hard to find. You don't want boiling water for green tea, for many reasons.

BikeMike

Monkey
Feb 24, 2006
The info is out there and not hard to find. You don't want boiling water for green tea, for many reasons.
I didn't mean to be confrontational. I think this stuff is cool. I was just asking because I thought there was a decent probability that you had read some interesting stuff and might link to it.

From my limited searching, good info is either somewhat scarce or the key words I've tried didn't work out very well (looking for scientific data/papers, not interweb blargs.) I did spot a few more articles about catechin and EGCG extraction that seem to indicate that catechins are pretty stable in aqueous solutions, and that water temperatures that fall in the liquid range don't destroy them (i.e. they probably OK even in hot water for long times.)

Also, I totally agree with you re: sub-boiling water making the best green tea. Mostly though, I think this comes down to taste.

I remember reading somewhere that extraction the major stimulants from tea occurs pretty quickly in hot water (something like 80-85% of total caffeine content extracted within ~2 minutes), but some tannins take more time. Tea that is left to steep a long time becomes more bitter as tannins are extracted more thoroughly, but it doesn't gain much in stimulant content (although other flavoring compounds intensify over time as well, so ideal steep time will vary both from tea to tea and from person to person.)

The exception to the long brew time=bitterness rule is tea that is brewed in cold water. The temperature of the water has a much larger impact on the solubility of many tannins than on the solubility of caffeine. At cool temperatures the tannins won't go into solution very well (or they crash out of solution). Result: tea made with cold water in the fridge is less bitter. Pretty cool.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
HMmmm... So a "SUN" green tea might get you the best of both worlds.

I had a bad cold over the holidays and I kept hot green tea "on tap" by brewing it up on the stove and then transfering it to the coffee pot to keep it hot for a few hours. It was interesting that even with the tea leaves removed it would darken up over time... those tanins I guess, but where did they come from? Or was it oxidation?

btw, the BEST green tea (at least in my opinion) are the ones you can find in JAPANESE markets (not just Chinese ones like Ranch 99, or even vietnamese ones like we have in Garden Grove, CA.) And at the Japanese markets, look for ones that have toasted rice in them as well as the tea leaves. I believe this is called "Genmaicha"

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Costco has great green tea that is not corrupted by the bottling process.
I love the Kirkland Green Tea bags.

In the summer, they make killer iced green tea as well. 4 teabags to a 2 quart jug of the hottest tap water for a minute, and then ice it down. Good stuff.

(Apparently, using hot tap water to cook is no bueno. So if you're worried about a corroding hot water heater, use a kettle to get it to 140 degrees or so.)

If you drink a lot of it, get an electric hotpot. Sure, it's another appliance that you maybe don't REALLY need, but it's a nice luxury.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2011
I got some green tea sitting at a sushi bar and the chef cutting the fish told me I better drink it quick to get any health benefits out of it. He didn't really speak English that well, so that exchange took about 5 min, and I wasn't able to ask why, but I believe him.

overmars

Chimp
Mar 28, 2012
I prefer to buy the pure stuff rather than the commercial Lipton brand. I've been jasmine pearl green tea for about a year now, 8 times a day and I've noticed that my metabolism has got a lot faster