Quantcast

Green tomatos?

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
My tomato plant has a whole bunch of nice big green tomatos on it. I don't think they are ever going to turn red since it's cold out now. It would be a shame to waste them. Is there anything I can do with them besides the ever popular fried green tomatos and throwing them at passing cars?

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
My tomato plant has a whole bunch of nice big green tomatos on it. I don't think they are ever going to turn red since it's cold out now. It would be a shame to waste them. Is there anything I can do with them besides the ever popular fried green tomatos and throwing them at passing cars?
Do you have a frost coming? :confused: Some tomatoes will rippen after picking if you place them indoors in a location that gets a lot of sun.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Lots of sun in colder climates = warmth......
I was simply making the point that one doesn't need to put the green 'maters in a sunny location. Just put 'em somewhere warm. In fact, some recommend not putting them in the sun:

To ripen, place green or unripened tomatoes in a brown paper bag and place in a dark spot for three or four days, depending on the degree of greenness. Do not put tomatoes in the sun to ripen - this softens them.