Quantcast

Greetings, Earthlings, Is This Where You Pray To The Sun?

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Mornin’, I promise I will only be breaking the 12:00 AM rule for another week.
Getting my gumption up to ride a relentless, no rest, 10k uphill the day after Thanksgiving.
Regular ol’ push-bike.
We shall see how I feel after riding Wednesday with a friend.
Hope you all wake up on the right side of the bed!

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Truly excellent holiday so far. Hawaii actually impresses me as being more down to earth in some ways than Jackson, the houses in most places are modest, and development pressure seems to be held in check by water availability and lava. The whole Hauole thing is certainly real. What is interesting is that all of the hauole’s desperately want to be liked by the Hawaiians. It’s kinda like the whitey’s (usually, but not always) may have more money, but are down a step on the social ladder anyway.
Such great places so far on the Big Island, which is actually really, really pretty small.
And Woo will be happy to hear that the Poke is on point.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
If I understand Hauole is somewhat equivalent to Pakeha in Aotearoa, and the dynamic is also similar. There are a few righty racists but on the whole most of society wants to be equal and just and part of that equalisation is a positive promotion of indigenous culture to restore equity. The longer I have been in NZ the more I hate that, for example, we have the UK flag as part of ours, it seems so irrelevant and backwards — racist and colonialist. I live in ‘Wellington’, named for a guy who was an explorer but also basically a mass murderer. You can argue he was of his time but still I don’t really want that name anymore, the local name is Poneke and I like that more. It feels good to be moving towards a more inclusive society, even if it is still a way off.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Frost on the car yesterday and I got my winter tires installed today however we are back to mild weather again but still cold enough for the winter tires.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
new book...ashame the box got fucked up...

20211123_070815.jpg

another record...

20211122_202213.jpg

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Hey bros
did just about nothin' yesterday (day off from work). It was great. I was lazy and unproductive.

Hopefully today I might be marginally more productive. I need to dump these reproducing fish and maybe get some chinese food for lunch. Then I can get my kid an o'reilly auto parts hat because she keeps singing the jingle.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Wife's high school friend is visiting El Salvador. Took her on first MTB ride yesterday and she seemed super into it.

(Anyone around Oakland wanna show a newb around when she returns home...?)

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
:wave:

Did it. Paid more than I wanted, but we are now under contract. Closing date = 1/5.

I celebrated with 3 hours of sleep. :dead:
Priorities are functionality before form; even before adtl furniture. We had three empty rooms for almost a year while we resolved the deck and cat pee issues with the carpet. On the topic of furniture, it's shockingly cheap on CL and FB Market.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Had to brush a few inches of snow off the car this morning. :disgust1:

Supposed to go back up to 44F tomorrow though, so should be able to get in a night ride?

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Congrats on your "voluntary" slavery. :D

How soon after closing are you going to be able to move in? I think you've mentioned the home needs floors.
We'll stay put in our garage abode til spring while we work on the house. Figure 3-4 months worth of work on the weekends should do it. Well, that and my dad is 25 minutes away and happy to help.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
We'll stay put in our garage abode til spring while we work on the house. Figure 3-4 months worth of work on the weekends should do it. Well, that and my dad is 25 minutes away and happy to help.
that sounds like a good plan. i wish we had had more time for projects before we moved in. there are still rooms in our house that haven't been painted, and we've been here 9 years.

and agree on the furniture thing. we had some empty rooms for a while.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
#random

So the other night when I set the music alarm, I was in a mood and when the device asked me what music to play, I said "Asshole!!" and so Google said, "Done. I'll play the asshole playlist tomorrow at 5:15 AM." That made me wonder what exactly I was in store for when the alarm sounded. When it did go off the next morning, it played 'No Rain' by Blind Melon. I am still trying to figure out how or why that song would end up in Google's asshole playlist.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
#random

So the other night when I set the music alarm, I was in a mood and when the device asked me what music to play, I said "Asshole!!" and so Google said, "Done. I'll play the asshole playlist tomorrow at 5:15 AM." That made me wonder what exactly I was in store for when the alarm sounded. When it did go off the next morning, it played 'No Rain' by Blind Melon. I am still trying to figure out how or why that song would end up in Google's asshole playlist.
1637677898428.png

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
:wave:

Did it. Paid more than I wanted, but we are now under contract. Closing date = 1/5.

I celebrated with 3 hours of sleep. :dead:
I forgot to add a few things to the new home" list:
1) Make a list as you go; 3 columns: Must, will need to, want to.
- Must will always be priority #1.
- Will need to are going to be your scheduled items - servicing appliance, window/roof/etc replacement timelines, adtl insulation, etc.
- Want to is just that - from painting and fixing floors (assuming no critical issues), to any type of reno.
As things get added to the lists, you need to prioritize them as well. Roof will supersede all other musts except maybe heating. Critical is determined by downstream costs and risk to house.

2) Install new CO sensors, fire extinguishers, smoke alarms

3) Organize your tools/garage as you go. You can get a cheap set of kitchen cabinets from Habitat for Humanity or off Craigslist. You will really appreciate it as you work your way through repairs. 3/4" Birch pine on a set of base kitchen cabinets = workbench.

4) If you're buying tools, buy a cheap one first. If you break it that means you're probably using it a lot and should get a good one. It will keep you from spending unnecessary amounts of money on tools. Harbor Freight is your friend. The one exception to this rule is battery powered tools. Establish your battery system early on and stick with it.

5) If you don't have drills or an impact driver yet, send me your address. I'll send you my Craftsman kit. I switched over to Makita because I couldn't get new stuff on the 19.2v system. It will at least get you a few basic/regular usage tools until you need to establish a new platform.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Priorities are functionality before form
Around this house we've taken this to a bit of an extreme: only fix what's broke. :D

#random

Alexa should know that there is NO way to defeat a baby. :disgust:

I forgot to add a few things to the new home" list:
1) Make a list as you go; 3 columns: Must, will need to, want to.
- Must will always be priority #1.
- Will need to are going to be your scheduled items - servicing appliance, window/roof/etc replacement timelines, adtl insulation, etc.
- Want to is just that - from painting and fixing floors (assuming no critical issues), to any type of reno.
As things get added to the lists, you need to prioritize them as well. Roof will supersede all other musts except maybe heating. Critical is determined by downstream costs and risk to house.

2) Install new CO sensors, fire extinguishers, smoke alarms

3) Organize your tools/garage as you go. You can get a cheap set of kitchen cabinets from Habitat for Humanity or off Craigslist. You will really appreciate it as you work your way through repairs. 3/4" Birch pine on a set of base kitchen cabinets = workbench.

4) If you're buying tools, buy a cheap one first. If you break it that means you're probably using it a lot and should get a good one. It will keep you from spending unnecessary amounts of money on tools. Harbor Freight is your friend. The one exception to this rule is battery powered tools. Establish your battery system early on and stick with it.

5) If you don't have drills or an impact driver yet, send me your address. I'll send you my Craftsman kit. I switched over to Makita because I couldn't get new stuff on the 19.2v system. It will at least get you a few basic/regular usage tools until you need to establish a new platform.
FTS - except for the free drill/impact driver stuff. List should be:

1) Go explore nearby trails on your bike

Last edited:

gonefirefightin

free wieners
That is pretty smooth video! Beautiful area too.
Good fishing in that water?
Just about every species you can think of is in that river. I often see 7' sturgeon coming clear out of the water. Salmon and steelhead has been a bit meek this yr. Smallmouth and trout is always good year round.

As for the video it will get better since I am essentially only using the gimbals native stabilization and no software yet. Still trying to get a real camera in the drone without packing a gopro on the top.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Around this house we've taken this to a bit of an extreme: only fix what's broke. :D

FTS - except for the free drill/impact driver stuff. List should be:

1) Go explore nearby trails on your bike
You can hate on it, but it's allowed us to get in front of some substantial expenses. You need to do the math on replacement/advanced service costs vs. emergency repair cost.

Water heater is an easy one - emergency repair cost means no ability to research which model is most cost efficient, get it at a discount price, have time to research all the adtl bits you need to be up to code so that you do need to redo work, and if you do it right, wait for a good financing structure to get the cost spread out over 6-12m so it only marginally impacts your cash flow. They have a life expectancy - you can work with that expected lifetime. Once you hit the top end of that lifetime, it's time to start shopping.

TIMMAY's cash flow is about to get obliterated because of house and baby. It becomes really important to get in front of potentially large expenses before they become huge.