Quantcast

Greetings, Earthlings, Is This Where You Pray To The Sun?

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
Congrats, Tim. May there be no unexpected surprises between now and closing.

/me is working today. Pancreatic multidisciplinary clinic since it's a Tuesday.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Le sick

Gunna go get my brain swabbed for teh Covid just to be sure that’s not it. Unsure if I’m hoping for a positive so I can avoid thanksgiving the honest way or a negative and just lie about it.

But first, time to poop.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Friend unexpectedly turned up in the hood so we rode my trails at noon. Cold, windy, wet as fuck - awesome. 30 minutes later, I am still frozen to the bone. Hot instant noodles to the rescue.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
I forgot to add a few things to the new home" list:
1) Make a list as you go; 3 columns: Must, will need to, want to.
- Must will always be priority #1.
- Will need to are going to be your scheduled items - servicing appliance, window/roof/etc replacement timelines, adtl insulation, etc.
- Want to is just that - from painting and fixing floors (assuming no critical issues), to any type of reno.
As things get added to the lists, you need to prioritize them as well. Roof will supersede all other musts except maybe heating. Critical is determined by downstream costs and risk to house.

2) Install new CO sensors, fire extinguishers, smoke alarms

3) Organize your tools/garage as you go. You can get a cheap set of kitchen cabinets from Habitat for Humanity or off Craigslist. You will really appreciate it as you work your way through repairs. 3/4" Birch pine on a set of base kitchen cabinets = workbench.

4) If you're buying tools, buy a cheap one first. If you break it that means you're probably using it a lot and should get a good one. It will keep you from spending unnecessary amounts of money on tools. Harbor Freight is your friend. The one exception to this rule is battery powered tools. Establish your battery system early on and stick with it.

5) If you don't have drills or an impact driver yet, send me your address. I'll send you my Craftsman kit. I switched over to Makita because I couldn't get new stuff on the 19.2v system. It will at least get you a few basic/regular usage tools until you need to establish a new platform.
Already started making the list. It's lengthy. We've set aside a healthy chunk of change to address some of the larger items. Luckily I already possess the tools and knowledge to tackle everything that needs to be corrected in this house.

The water heater is date stamped 2002, which means it's either going to die any second or perhaps last forever. I fully intend to replace that when we move in, since I too value doing things before they escalate ro emergency status. Same with the furnace, it could like be 30 years old. Already setting aside money and planning for its eventual death.

One of the big plusses of this joint is the roof is only 6 months old. Septic passed title 5 inspection. Water is municipal. Short of some crazy structural issue, of which I see no indications of settling or sagging, I feel like we've got a solid handle on the state of affairs.

Our first house was a HUGE learning experience. Hoping life throws us a bit of good luck with this one.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
The water heater is date stamped 2002, which means it's either going to die any second or perhaps last forever.
My original water heater was 30+ years old when we bought the home. When I finally had it replaced, the plumber noted it was likely an expensive one made with copper.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
snipe? chupacabra?
Definitely in the snipe's range... but I don't think they're really water birds.

Screenshot_20211123-110101_Google.jpg

You can hate on it, but it's allowed us to get in front of some substantial expenses. You need to do the math on replacement/advanced service costs vs. emergency repair cost.

Water heater is an easy one - emergency repair cost means no ability to research which model is most cost efficient, get it at a discount price, have time to research all the adtl bits you need to be up to code so that you do need to redo work, and if you do it right, wait for a good financing structure to get the cost spread out over 6-12m so it only marginally impacts your cash flow. They have a life expectancy - you can work with that expected lifetime. Once you hit the top end of that lifetime, it's time to start shopping.

TIMMAY's cash flow is about to get obliterated because of house and baby. It becomes really important to get in front of potentially large expenses before they become huge.
OK, Dad. :D
come on man not cool you know watz can't do math
They told me there would be no maths!!

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
My original water heater was 30+ years old when we bought the home. When I finally had it replaced, the plumber noted it was likely an expensive one made with copper.
If that's the case, I'm sure I could get a local tweaker to dispose of it for free.

I'll likely be replacing with an electric, heat pump, tank heater. The MassSave incentives are too good not to. It works out to be the same price as a traditional electric tank water heater, but promises to more than halve the electricity consumption. Sounds good to me.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Already started making the list. It's lengthy. We've set aside a healthy chunk of change to address some of the larger items. Luckily I already possess the tools and knowledge to tackle everything that needs to be corrected in this house.

The water heater is date stamped 2002, which means it's either going to die any second or perhaps last forever. I fully intend to replace that when we move in, since I too value doing things before they escalate ro emergency status. Same with the furnace, it could like be 30 years old. Already setting aside money and planning for its eventual death.

One of the big plusses of this joint is the roof is only 6 months old. Septic passed title 5 inspection. Water is municipal. Short of some crazy structural issue, of which I see no indications of settling or sagging, I feel like we've got a solid handle on the state of affairs.

Our first house was a HUGE learning experience. Hoping life throws us a bit of good luck with this one.
is it oil heat? I'm surprised you have a separate electric water heater and not like an off-burner storage tank

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001

how many wood burning stoves do you have to feed?

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
is it oil heat? I'm surprised you have a separate electric water heater and not like an off-burner storage tank
It is oil heat, and I was a little surprised to see an electric water heater too, but no complaints on that one. Makes replacement easier on me.

how many wood burning stoves do you have to feed?
No stoves, but there is a wood burning fireplace. Thinking of putting an insert in there...perhaps pellet?

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Had a dentist appointment today. While talking, it turns out my dentist drives a 2008 Audi Diesel. :eek:
He must be doing drugs, or where else does all the money I pay him go?

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Xfinity sent me a new cable box this week for some reason. Installed it a couple of days ago.

It just rebooted and died...

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
AFAIK not a recreational cyclist, otherwise this would, of course, be the answer.
My former dentist’s hobby was gem cutting. He drove a 25 year old Benz, his wife (the receptionist) drove an old Ford Explorer, totally unassuming people but he had at least 2500 carats of precious stones in his office. Some were pretty run of the mill stuff like garnet or sapphire, but he had a drawer full of diamonds he had either cut or planned to. Shame he passed away before I got engaged, coulda weasled a deal out of him.

All dentists have expensive hobbies, your guy just doesn’t talk about it, which means it’s probably something weird as hell