Quantcast

Greetings & Salutations - new saying howdy

Parabola

Chimp
Mar 1, 2005
Seattle
Hello fellow webfeet,

I'm sort of new to the scene and wanted to introduce myself.

You guys seem like a great group and I would love to check out some of these trails I've been reading about. Whether the bike, or myself for that matter, will be up for it is a question that only time will tell.

About 7 or so years ago I had an older rockhopper comp that I used to ride in this little urban greenbelt I lived next to. Nothing real serious, but I loved coming back down the steep trails where my ass was getting zing'd by the rear tire. Moved to the Udist and it was thieved within 6 months.

I then proceeded to delve into sportbikes which is a whole 'nother story altogether. That took up all my dough and then some so I never got another bicycle. Poor excuse I know.

Fast forward to a month or so ago and I was in a pawnshop looking for a belt sander. There sat an older Diamondback full suspension bike. ~'00 X2. He didn't want much for it so I bought it w/o thinking about it too much. I liked how strong the frame looked and it seemed to have decent components on it from what I knew, which turns out wasn't very much. After some research it looks like the bike is closer to the walmart end of the scale. That's OK though since I've always been relatively poor and am used to working with older stuff. The bicycle world seems to have advanced a crapload over the last several years.

Anyway, having a FS bike is a blast and even though I've only been out on the trails a couple of times so far, I think I've got the bug. Plus reading about all the summer ski resorts is really getting my wick turned up.

I need to learn more about where to go. I need to upgrade the bike. I need to get some protective gear. Here we go, another expensive hobby. I can see the progression of things already.

Can anyone elaborate on exit (edit oops, sorry)? Went up there last weekend. Aside from fire roads I didn't see too many trails. We were up there late so I didn't do a whole lot of exploring.

I think I may be somewhat of a techno geek type. I'm almost as excited to work on the bike as I am at the lure of the trails. I'm also a DIY'er so I'm going to build a stand to hold it up this weekend so I can work on it.

Blah, blah this is getting too long.

I look forward to chatting with everybody and thanks in advance for your tolerance of my newbieness.

Cheers all

Attachments

Welcome parabola! Some ppl here might get bent out of shape for you mentioning the sacred Exits ** & ** on the internet (not Bibs though - he'll just wear a Tutu for ya). ;)

Really though, you'll find that most ppl on this board are very knowledgeable and friendly - just give a shout out w/ your questions - you'll get more than enough in way of opinions.

Hope to see you out on the trails!

Parabola

Chimp
Mar 1, 2005
Seattle
Damn, didn't think about that. My apologies. Hope too much damage wasn't done in those few minutes.

Thanks for the welcomes.

Parabola said:
Damn, didn't think about that. My apologies. Hope too much damage wasn't done in those few minutes.

Thanks for the welcomes.
no worries bro, you are fine...everyone knows where they exits are but not where the traisl start. People are funny....if it was a new secret trail that would be one thing, but its been around for awhile and everyone knows..and its big stuff!!! :thumb: and I would have to loose a bet to wear a tutu for you! :D

mhpoole

Chimp
Feb 28, 2005
Portland, Oregon
Welcome new to the forum myself.

I too am from the motorcycle crowd. Having 8 bikes in the past and sold my last one about 4 years ago before our first son was born. I had 4 CBR900RR's and loved to wheelie. Anyway my new bike should be on its way anyday now and I should have it in a week or so. I have been out of MBing for about 10 years which sportbikes filled that gap. Nice to see fellow motorcycle nuts riding Mountain bikes. :thumb:

mhpoole said:
Welcome new to the forum myself.

I too am from the motorcycle crowd. Having 8 bikes in the past and sold my last one about 4 years ago before our first son was born. I had 4 CBR900RR's and loved to wheelie. Anyway my new bike should be on its way anyday now and I should have it in a week or so. I have been out of MBing for about 10 years which sportbikes filled that gap. Nice to see fellow motorcycle nuts riding Mountain bikes. :thumb:

yea, I loed to wheelie to, i could do it way better on my sportbike than Ican on my MTB. getting on the freeway on one wheel was fun....aahhhh..memories..... :thumb: I had a 95' cbr 900RR. I had a 600 for a while, then it was too small......man I really miss my biek right noww :)

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
Welcome aboard!

Yeah, technology has gone bezerker-ape-sh*t over the last several years thanks to the moto world no less. You've definitely come to one of the right places as far as finding out where/when all the rides are going down.
Happy trails!
Andy

Parabola

Chimp
Mar 1, 2005
Seattle
All this friendliness is an excellent sign. Thanks.

I still have one of the last Yamaha 750s, a 97 YZF750. It needs tires bad and brakes so I haven't been riding it all that much. Before that I had a 98 F3 which I got rearended on and subsequently tried to race. I just didn't have the greenbacks to make a real go of it. I could buy a damn nice MTB for what I spent on leathers/boots.

I think the potential for trouble with the popo will be greatly reduced without an engine on my steed. I'm not that bad a scofflaw but corners aren't as much fun if you're not doing at least twice the warning speed. Not a huge fan of wheelies, but stoppies I have much respect for.

ummbikes

Don't mess with the Santas
Apr 16, 2002
Napavine, Warshington
Welcome, it seems like a lot of the folks who like to mountain bike also like other wheeled toys as well.

Don't sweat your bike, we all seem to horse trade a lot, so as you need upgrades someone will have good deal available from their spare parts box. I have the full-on PNW Ridemonkey frankenbike.

seand

Monkey
Nov 22, 2003
seattle
there is no real point in investing lots o cash into a bike when you dont know what type of riding you want to do :)

the whole exits thing is touchy but as long as you dont toss up directions people dont seem to get to bent out of shape. most places have nicknames or trailnames and just use those as a reference...

so you are in the udistrict huh?

check your pm box

Parabola

Chimp
Mar 1, 2005
Seattle
Yeah, my welfare bike, ha ha.

A little improvement is on the way in the form of an 03 Psylo race fork. It will be nice to get rid of the rst pogo stick and maybe have some real dampers.

And even though I don't really need them, I'm going to put a disc on at least the front.

Cheers

HippieKai

Pretty Boy....That's right, BOY!
Oct 7, 2002
hippie-ville
bibs said:
......man I really miss my biek right noww :)
hell i just gave mine to my dad for his 50th b-day.
MTB bikes are sooo much better.

so when are you moving to b-ham to ride with me? :D