Quantcast

GregRomero.com

Weaver

Monkey
Oct 27, 2003
austin, TX
some comments about DR horsin the mtbike boys...

Man, I heard some good news over in the gay Mtn. Bike world. AApro Donny Robinson stuns them with a huge win in the 4Cross event at this weekends Sea Otter Classic in NorCAL! The Sea Otter Classic is the "Daytona" of Cycling events for many disciplines including road and various cross country Mtn. Gaying. In Pro MTB the field is dominated by ex AApros such as King, Carter, Lopes, Bootes, etc. It's kinda of a weird scene because these guys act so cool and untouchable or rather unapproachable at the Mtn. Bike races. Trust me, these guys are way cool away from the MTB scene but there is no camaraderie when you go into their element. Everyone is so "SECRET" on bike setup and they don't want other BMXers coming in and taking their salaries or something stupid like that. There is just no love for new BMXers to come in and there not proactive in saying "hay buddies, you should try it, you would make a quarter million dollars like Marla Streb! There is simply no welcoming mat sorta speak. In BMX when a new Europe pro comes over in the States or a respectable Apro goes AA, they get help from others. It might not be from me but they get help. They stay at Dales place or Christophes or JRICH. I help out new AA's by saying they are getting cutoff! Thats the least that I could do. But thats at least out of love you know? Even When I tried Velodrome, the pros helped Darrin Mitchell, Terry Tennett and I out. I don't get the whole MTB Scene? So when I hear "DR" coming in and smoking their asses it's great news to me. Congratulations Donny! Go hit the rest of the series too!!!

G.Romero

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mon Apr 19 21:08:27 2004
Lucky Duck
Sea Otter was nothing more than a BMX track on a slight decline. Let Donny try to race a real mtb track. Hey G, ask him how he did on slalom!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mon Apr 19 21:40:16 2004
anti mtb
donny handled 4 cross flat out i was there to watch it , he deserves it , sea otter was owned by bmxers including amatuers.

Mon Apr 19 22:47:59 2004
Spandex
Is Lucky Duck serious? Going to try and take credit away from DR for smoking 4x competition at his first showing? How about this, since 4x was a BMX track on a slight decline... I'd love to see a Downhill Mountainbiker come hang with US on the UCI Supercross track at Woodward. Face it BMXers cash checks, MTBers break necks.

Tue Apr 20 00:23:35 2004
gears for queers
The mountain bike guys are just pissed they have a 5 month off season and some midget showed up and schooled the gear queers
Tue Apr 20 03:25:54 2004
mik=pune
if he deserved to win then he would ahve made the puddle gap no prob..and wouldnt have let a first time mountain biker poney him down the first straight plain and simple

Thu Jan 1 00:00:00 1970
double cheese
Yo whats up with these mtn bikers beign so insecure and claiming luck??
Thu Jan 1 00:00:00 1970

DR beat them fair and square maybe if these ducks rode BMX the bmx guys wouldnt show them up... Next will be Nyquist showing up on a mountain bike with pegs and showing the"urban mtn bikers"
Tue Apr 20 12:34:20 2004
?????
This is a BMX page guys, or at least this is what I hope, let's talk about BMX and come to the real world of skills. MB sucks

bbmj

Monkey
Feb 14, 2002
Eastbay
well it sucks that they have that negative opinion about us. I think lots of the mtb pros are real approachable. SHoot i thought the AA pros were kind of the bitter bitter ones, t boning the new guys and stuff. Either way its too bad that there is that level of closed mindeness. I thought romero was a cool guy, he races at the local track from time to time, too bad. But whatever, life is too short to spend my life in friction when it could be turned into momentum

dcamp29

Monkey
Feb 14, 2004
Colorado
they say DR "schooled the field" first of all where was he in qualifying? secondly i recal watching everyone exept him getting balled up in turn one, then mick hannah chasing him down and passing him on a flat straight. read flat straight, i though bmxers were supposed to be good at flat straights, then mick did bobble and rolled the last jump and DR passed him on the finish line, he won by about a wheel. yeah, also where were the bmxers in slalom? DH?

c2001

Paparazzi
Aug 10, 2001
where everyone is
i love it! that is the raddest stuff i've read in years!

fastest rider wins, bmx background or not. luck isn't the issue... skill, aggression and tactics are...AWESOME!

bomberz1qr20

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by dcamp29
they say DR "schooled the field" first of all where was he in qualifying? secondly i recal watching everyone exept him getting balled up in turn one, then mick hannah chasing him down and passing him on a flat straight. read flat straight, i though bmxers were supposed to be good at flat straights, then mick did bobble and rolled the last jump and DR passed him on the finish line, he won by about a wheel. yeah, also where were the bmxers in slalom? DH?
I agree, he pulled it off, no one got "schooled".

But then again, give this kid a year or two on a mountin bike and who knows? This was his first time racing a 26" bike.

Pretty impressive.

DHanamal

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
Boulder, CO
I hate it when this narrow minded BMXers rip on our sport. Lets put them all on DH bikes then take them over to Mt Snow Yardsale, or something else that is 100% MTB, and see who pisses their pants first. 4X is only a tiny part of the sport!

DHanamal

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
Boulder, CO
Originally posted by Weaver
How about this, since 4x was a BMX track on a slight decline... I'd love to see a Downhill Mountainbiker come hang with US on the UCI Supercross track at Woodward. Face it BMXers cash checks, MTBers break necks.
Oh yeah, and in NWD 4 there's a lot of footage of Lopes riding the DH BMX track at Woodward West. I'm sure Lopes could hang on the UCI Supercross track.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
All you leotard wearin gear qweer fags just need to addmit that beee emm ecks is what made mountain bikeing cool. Until wee showd up, you fagz were just humpin each other in thuh woodz. Fer chrissakes, we smoke ssigerettes while we ride and wear lots of jeanz and stuff. We even ware polyester hatz sidewayz because parody is sooooooo funny...............and shows knowledge. Dude lame is the new cool and you guys are like old cool. I even have mustache its so funny.

Leethal

Turbo Monkey
Oct 27, 2001
Avondale (Phoenix)
I don't kow how BMX'rs would do on yardsale why don't you ask Eric Carter, the Houseman brothers, King, Lopes, Wade Simmons, Tomac.... All were BMX racers.:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

In the end it still is two wheels what do you really think a good BMX'r who has not crossed over could not?? You know they actually give prize money to Pro's in BMX.

Weaver

Monkey
Oct 27, 2003
austin, TX
Originally posted by Leethal
I don't kow how BMX'rs would do on yardsale why don't you ask Eric Carter, the Houseman brothers, King, Lopes, Wade Simmons, Tomac.... All were BMX racers.:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

In the end it still is two wheels what do you really think a good BMX'r who has not crossed over could not?? You know they actually give prize money to Pro's in BMX.
i just put this up to stir the pot...romero is always good for that...

and you hit it right on... i think if the pros were getting paid on the mtbike podium, more bmx pros would crossover... i couldnt imagine seeing Kyle Bennett race 4X or slalom...

BMX helped mtbikes evolve...thats a given...that and Palmer... i just wish there was more crossover between mtbikers and bmxers... id like to see more mtbikers at the bmx track, and more bmxers showing up to the mtbike races...

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Originally posted by Damn True
If BMX'ers are soooo much better, why are soooooo many BMX "pro's" poaching Vet-Ex?
Bmx riders aren't better out mountain biking, they're better at mountain cross........which is Bmx.

What's that quote from Jill Kinter at Northstar?....... something like "I like racing bikes but I don't know about all these rocks"

What's funny is that when I look at pictures of me racing bmx at about age 8-10, the bikes with 20" wheels fit me just like a mtn bike does now. I even had the low handlebars with no crossbar.

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
Between a rock and a hard place.
Originally posted by kidwoo
Bmx riders aren't better out mountain biking, they're better at mountain cross........which is Bmx.

What's that quote from Jill Kinter at Northstar?....... something like "I like racing bikes but I don't know about all these rocks"

What's funny is that when I look at pictures of me racing bmx at about age 8-10, the bikes with 20" wheels fit me just like a mtn bike does now. I even had the low handlebars with no crossbar.
dude, that's what I'm talkin about....there have been tons of BMX pro's poaching Vet-Ex DS and 4x for years.

Weaver

Monkey
Oct 27, 2003
austin, TX
dude, that's what I'm talkin about....there have been tons of BMX pro's poaching Vet-Ex DS and 4x for years.
and there have been a bunch of bmxers dominating all types of mountainbiking...

4X, DH, street, dirt jumping etc etc etc...

hell...even the spandex guys...

Weaver

Monkey
Oct 27, 2003
austin, TX
Yeah, yippe for them. What a triumph. A pro bike racer poaching down into Vet-Ex and competeing against software engineers for whom racing is a hobby, not a profession.
what/who the hell are you talking about???

DR beat a bunch of badasses

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
Wow. Where the hell did that come from? Is anyone else reading that thinking, "Someone I know nothing about and who knows nothing about me hates me?!?!?"
And I thought that there was a lot of stupid animosity between skiers and snowboarders!

gorgechris

Monkey
Mar 25, 2003
Traveling the eastern U.S.
Originally posted by kidwoo
All you leotard wearin gear qweer fags just need to addmit that beee emm ecks is what made mountain bikeing cool. Until wee showd up, you fagz were just humpin each other in thuh woodz. Fer chrissakes, we smoke ssigerettes while we ride and wear lots of jeanz and stuff. We even ware polyester hatz sidewayz because parody is sooooooo funny...............and shows knowledge. Dude lame is the new cool and you guys are like old cool. I even have mustache its so funny.
Haha, right on. I think your point is an excellent one: if you're gonna' rip on someone, for gawd's sake have some grammar skills!

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
Hey, I got's no problem with pro BMX cats coming over and racing pro. They claim to have greater skills than MtB guys. If they can back that up, then more power to 'em.

My gripe is with the pro's poaching into ametuer classes.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
well yeah, that's just messed up especially where BMX and 4X are so similar, if it were something like an XC pro racing amature 4X that would be different or a pro DHer racing amature circle track. Of course if Cedric Gracia were to race amature BMX and win the BMXers would all whine about that too.

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
Originally posted by Orven
off-topic..

Norba XC Courses shld incorporate doubles and drops... :p

Singlespeeders are better!!! :D
They should at least incorporate bumps and rocks. The current state of affairs resembles dusty road bike races.

Though I heard the Schweitzer course last year was pretty tech in places.

Sep 10, 2001
Donny showing up and winning on his first time out is a pretty lucky deal.... Most BMXers wouldn't ride a course in the condition that most 4x tracks are in.... But Donny is also one of the most determined riders out there. There are similarities to BMX and 4x, but there are alot of other things that catch new comers off guard... Tire choices, supension set up....

Brian
DH/DS/BMX