Quantcast

Greyhounds -- the dogs

JoeRay

Monkey
Feb 19, 2004
In Squalor
I'm looking at adopting a greyhound through the local Greyhound Adoption Program (GAP). What I get is an ex-race greyhound re-programmed for the house.

Anyone owned a 'house' greyhound and have input on the matter? Food costs? Excercising? Size or yard? Anything?

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
A friends brother had one and it was freaked out by anything and pretty much just hid under a bed. Very sad, and worthless as a companion. This was a few years ago, I dunno if it ever adapted or not.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
When do you need or want an answer by? I hike with a lady who is very involved with rescued greyhounds. In fact, she's kept two herself. I could get more info for you, but I won't see her for another two weeks.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
We have one! They make fantastic house dogs. :) I can give you all kinds of feedback, but I've got to run to a hockey game in a few minutes. My wife will chime in a bit...

Here is what you can expect them to do 22 hours a day. Seriously.

JoeRay said:
Anyone owned a 'house' greyhound and have input on the matter? Food costs? Excercising? Size or yard? Anything?
Food costs: we give ours a pretty high quality food - Innova Evo. It's expensive but there are other options. Your group should be able to suggest some. Remember that their diet at the track was grade d raw meat. Always read labels and stay away from meat "byproducts." (I'm the treasurer for our group in CT) we recommend Purina Pro Plan as a good off the track transition food

Excercising: They are all different but for the most part, 1 or 2 good walks a day so they can stretch their legs is plenty. If you have a fenced in yard, great. If not - no big deal. We don't have one but in the summer once a week we take her to a fenced in ball park and let her run with her friends. Here's a vid http://media.putfile.com/Jewell-7-10-05

Pretty much any question you can come up with has probably been addressed here http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php?act=idx

or you can ask me (I'm with IAB) and that pic is of my girlie Jewell.

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
hey ray... good to see ya round... still in wyalla ??? married yet ya lil bastid ?? say g day to the woman for me... good luck with the mut :thumb:

partsbara... and the woman wants to chime in....

Liz says hi! --Liz
:)

JoeRay

Monkey
Feb 19, 2004
In Squalor
Parts - Wedding in July, small family thing. Yep, so I'm cheap, I'm saving for a new bike or Subaru or maybe both.

All - thanks for the thoughts, knowledge is power keep it coming. Looking to get the dog probably in or around the october or december school holidays so the missus is round to help it settle.

Funny how if we get a dog, we'll have to get a new car so it fits in ok. On record now, this has nothing with me test driving a Liberty GT wagon last weekend, its just purely coincidental.

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
MtnBikerChk said:
Food costs: we give ours a pretty high quality food - Innova Evo. It's expensive but there are other options. Your group should be able to suggest some. Remember that their diet at the track was grade d raw meat. Always read labels and stay away from meat "byproducts." (I'm the treasurer for our group in CT) we recommend Purina Pro Plan as a good off the track transition food

Excercising: They are all different but for the most part, 1 or 2 good walks a day so they can stretch their legs is plenty. If you have a fenced in yard, great. If not - no big deal. We don't have one but in the summer once a week we take her to a fenced in ball park and let her run with her friends. Here's a vid http://media.putfile.com/Jewell-7-10-05

what?
Pretty much any question you can come up with has probably been addressed here http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php?act=idx

or you can ask me (I'm with IAB) and that pic is of my girlie Jewell.
Whats with the lil cages over thier mouths? Are they vicous when they run or what?

chicodude said:
Whats with the lil cages over thier mouths? Are they vicous when they run or what?

When they run, they tend to nip at each other while they are trying to jockey for position so they wear basket muzzles. SOmetimes they will even body slam each other. You can see they can still open their mouths and drink water through them - its just to protect them from getting carried away with the "race." LOL

They wear muzzles at the track too.

JoeRay

Monkey
Feb 19, 2004
In Squalor
I've read here in Oz that in all but one state the 'deprogrammed' dogs don't have to wear one. As long as they have a tag on their collar at all times or wear a certain colour collar.

The companion animal laws here are a bit screwy. The only other dogs that have to be muzzled in public are pit-bulls. What does that say to the public about greyhounds then?

There are I think many more breeds before greyhounds that should be mandatory to muzzle in public.

JoeRay said:
I've read here in Oz that in all but one state the 'deprogrammed' dogs don't have to wear one. As long as they have a tag on their collar at all times or wear a certain colour collar.

The companion animal laws here are a bit screwy. The only other dogs that have to be muzzled in public are pit-bulls. What does that say to the public about greyhounds then?

There are I think many more breeds before greyhounds that should be mandatory to muzzle in public.
They don't HAVE to be - we do it for their safety - and we only do it when they are running together.