Quantcast

Grilled salmon ideas?

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
Neighbor's girlfriend brought by some fresh caught salmon for me last night ( :cupidarrow: ) and I'm wondering how best to do it up.

It will be over a hot grill of course and I've been thinking of rubs and marinades to do. I remember Salmon Almondine as a kid and loving it with green beans.

Right now I'm thinking up a brown sugar, soy, and curry rub or marinade for the steaks. Served on the side I like the idea of a rice dish seasoned with lemon and some bitter steamed green.

And while I'm trying to get a lady friend over to entertain I may just work on feeding my own face. And I'll post pictures (of the food of course).

Any suggestions? I've got three good sized steaks, so I might experiment with different recipes.

The Ito

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
I don't like salmon, but my wife makes a killer marinade for salmon:

1-1/2T honey
1-1/2T Dijon
1T balsamic vinegar
1/4t ground pepper
couple crushed garlic cloves
1/4t salt

Toss the fish in a bag with all that stuff for awhile and then grill it.

:drool:

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Your ideas sound good but personally, if it's good fresh wild salmon I don't think you need a strong/sweet marinade. An olive oil rub and a little salt and pepper just before grilling is all I'd do. As for how to serve, I really like tomato and basil with salmon, so maybe a dice of good summer tomatoes with basil and olive oil. The lemon rice sounds great, maybe grill up some corn while you're manning the flames for your lady friend. :brows:

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
I would suggest cooking them on cedar planks soaked overnight in water. Salt and pepper to taste, add a sprinkle of celery seed, and then coat lightly in dijon mustard. Cook on the planks and then garnish with chopped cilantro and lime.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Plenty of good white wines to go with that, but if you want a red, spray a little lemon over the fish right before you dig in. The lemon acid helps balance out your pallate so you can enjoy both the fish and the red.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Damn, why didn't I notice this thread yesterday. I could have stopped by and grabbed my Sidi's, and ate some fresh salmon while I was there :(

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
Damn, why didn't I notice this thread yesterday. I could have stopped by and grabbed my Sidi's, and ate some fresh salmon while I was there :(
Heading out now, consider them returned. Sorry it took so long. Perhaps you should stop leaving **** in my car after road trips. Camelbak?

The Ito

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
outside smeared with a lemon, basil, pepper, chive, olive oil mix

inside, stuffed with whole cloves of garlic, thinly sliced lemon, pepper, soy, white zinfandel spritz

wrapped in bannana leaves then wrapped in foil. on the grill for 1hr, flipping every 10 min.

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
Picked up the recipe from my tahitian ex-girlfriend. She used to cook for the Mai Tai hotel in Hawaii. She only did 2 things right when we were together.... Cook and dance. everything else was a failure.

spritz = splash = not pouring the whole bottle
yes, my local "whole foods" store sells bananna leaves
yes, 1 hr at low heat (200deg -20+)

so, did you go with a rub, marinade? Share details, I'm on diet so all this talk about food is satisfying my "good" food cravings

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
White zinfandel was actually a mistake about 30 years ago.

The typically red wine grape went through a rough weather pattern, lost some of its color and became a more fruity, easier to drink wine for those new to the nectar.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
If it's good fresh salmon, add little fresh ground pepper and cook to desired doneness. If it's real fresh, I might just flash it on the grill just enough to get it warm and scarf it down almost raw.

For frozen or store bought salmon I do a couple of different things. This is what I did Friday night...

Crush some wasabi peas and coat the salmon kind of thick with it. Drizzle with olive oil and then bake at 450 for about 20 minutes. Mmmmm. So good.

May 18, 2004
Seattle
i've been coating the grill-side with olive oil to keep it from sticking to the grill. Then throw a few thin slices of butter on top, sprinkle with a seasoning that you like and cover the top completely with sliced rounds of lime, lemon and orange. Grill it up. A thermometer should give you 140 in the middle when she's ready to be taken off the grill. Try it with a Hogue Fume' Blanc or even a Pinot Gris of some sort...