Quantcast

Grilling and propane

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Do any of you grill gurus keep a spare propane tank at home? I just have the one tank that goes with my grill, but there is no way to check the propane level of the tank, so when it runs out I'm usually in the middle of grilling something (last night it was turkey sausage which I had to finish under the broiler). Does anyone keep an extra propane tank at home, or do you just take your one to get refilled before it actually runs out? I figure for 30 measly bucks, I might just buy a spare tank.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
is your house running on gas? we had a gas grill and had it piped into the natural gas line and never worried about it again. otherwise just buy a second tank. you could save a few bucks andget a smaller one for backup in case your runs out in mid cook or go ahead and get a full size.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
i would keep a spare, even if not full size just so you dont get stuck in mid cook.

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
I have a spare, it just makes it more convenient. Then you dont have to worry abour rushing out to refill your tank either.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
douglas said:
you better get a spare, cause when I come down I want my after ride burgers grilled!!! :D
:cool:

I will be looking to buy a new grill once the winter freeze ends. Now that I've been using the hand-me-down for six months, I have a pretty good idea of what I want in a new one. :)

Oct 26, 2001
God Hole NC
We have a spare. But we also have a portable grill and propane lantern for when we go camping and I have an adapter so I can use the 20lb tanks instead of those little 1lb ones.

Mmmm...new grill

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
I have a few spare bottles. It's nice to not have to worry about having to run out and get gas mid-party. I learn from my mistakes....;)

we inherited a couple after my father-in-law passed away a few years back. otherwise I would just have two.

Fathead

Monkey
May 6, 2003
SE TX
pnj said:
I have a few spare bottles. It's nice to not have to worry about having to run out and get gas mid-party.
Exactly. Get a spare. You don't know panic until you run out of propane at a shindig that revolves around the grill or the boiling pot.

We have two 20's and a smaller (8 or 10?) one. Between the three of them, there should always be gas for the grill as well as for the stockpot/burner setup.

El Jefe

Dr. Phil Jefe
Nov 26, 2001
OC in SoCal
It's not barbecue if you use propane or any other gas....that's just cooking outside. You may as well just move your stove to the back deck and call it a party. Barbecue is charcoal....you know, lighter fluid, mesquite chips, nasty gray dust you have to clean up when it cools, etc... Now THAT's grilling. There's just no substitute for the taste of real wood / charcoal fired barbecue.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
berkshire_rider said:
IAB: Go to Sam's / BJ's / Costco and buy the extra tank and you'll save another $10. They used to be $20 at Sam's Club, so I imagine they are about the same at all of them.
I actually saw them in BJ's the other day and they are definitely cheaper than a hardware store. :)

Oct 26, 2001
God Hole NC
El Jefe said:
It's not barbecue if you use propane or any other gas....that's just cooking outside. You may as well just move your stove to the back deck and call it a party. Barbecue is charcoal....you know, lighter fluid, mesquite chips, nasty gray dust you have to clean up when it cools, etc... Now THAT's grilling. There's just no substitute for the taste of real wood / charcoal fired barbecue.
Actually, according to us Southerners, it is not barbecue until you have an entire pig or side of beef on a grill. If you ask us to come over for a barbecue, we come with an expection to not see hot dogs or burgers but a 100lb hog that has been slowly cooking all day! :drool: :drool:

Anything else is just a cookout ;)

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
psycle-on said:
Actually, according to us Southerners, it is not barbecue until you have an entire pig or side of beef on a grill. If you ask us to come over for a barbecue, we come with an expection to not see hot dogs or burgers but a 100lb hog that has been slowly cooking all day! :drool: :drool:

You explained this difference to me when we met at Mt Snow a couple years ago, and since then I've referred to my efforts as "cookouts." :)

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
If you run out of gas, hop the fence and steal the neighbors ugly-ass wicker patio furniture, set it on fire and toast your food over open flame.

Bonus point if they are sitting on the furniture.

Oct 26, 2001
God Hole NC
I Are Baboon said:
You explained this difference to me when we met at Mt Snow a couple years ago, and since then I've referred to my efforts as "cookouts." :)
See, you have some Southerner in ya! :)

Y'all gonna make it South this year?

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
El Jefe said:
I hear that, negatron on the propane for me its all charcoal :thumb:

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
I have to laugh at those that say using gas to cook with isn't BBQing, yet you use fluid to start your coals.....haha.

bunch a freakin snobs, ya is. :D

El Jefe

Dr. Phil Jefe
Nov 26, 2001
OC in SoCal
psycle-on said:

Duly noted.

Ridemonkey

This is not an active account
Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
El Jefe said:

Well sure, but thats an all day ordeal. I grill several times a week and after work I just want to throw the chops on the heat and get straight to the bottle opener.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
SkaredShtles said:
Maybe for a real BBQ, but for a cookout, WTH........

I'd never cook out if I had to deal with the charcoal/mesquite ordeal.

-S.S.-
If this is an "ordeal" for you, then I hope you are taking things very slow...