Quantcast

Grinding Cranks

ThePriceSeliger

Mushhead
Mar 31, 2004
Denver, Colorado
Well I have no access to a LBS but i am pretty good at tacking care of my stuff... Well I took apart my whole drive train on my Azonic Steehead and it is a single speed, and it seems that the cranks dont spin very well any more... I was trying and learning crank flips on a lil dirt jump and they would stop spiining and they racked myself lots... Can you help me?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
priceseliger14 said:
Well I have no access to a LBS but i am pretty good at tacking care of my stuff... Well I took apart my whole drive train on my Azonic Steehead and it is a single speed, and it seems that the cranks dont spin very well any more... I was trying and learning crank flips on a lil dirt jump and they would stop spiining and they racked myself lots... Can you help me?
It's one of three problems, listed in order of the easiest to check to hardest:

A) Your chain tension is too tight. Happens a lot with single speeds, you don't need your chain tension so tight that you can't move the chain when you push on it. Try moving the wheel forward in the dropouts (if you have horizontal dropouts).

B) Your BB bearings are buggered. Uninstall the cranks and see how smoothly the spindle spins. If it's smooth, you're fine. If it's crunchy, replace your BB.

C) Your cassette mechanism (whether it's in the hub or in the ring) is shot. Same check - pull everything apart and see if it all spins smoothly.

Hope that helps...