Quantcast

Grip install tip...

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
So lately I've found myself hatin on lock-on grips and reverting back to the traditional. It's been 20 years since I've used squishy grips, but still remembered them sliding up, sliding down, throttling, etc. So I dug into my car racing/rockcrawling history and all the little rubber-on-steel tricks. Tire sealant. NOT tire CEMENT! It's a gooey, messy black ooze that you apply with a brush to steel rims. Keeps the tire from rotating on the bead, cures small bleeders, yet doesn't "permanantly" attach the tire. So I tried it on my grips, wait 3 minutes and it worked AWESOME. The cool thing about it is that it doesn't "glue" the grip on, so nothing to scrape/gring off the bars later, and you don't have to cut the grips off either, the air hose trick still works, however found that you have to actually WATCH what you're doing with cheap grips as they WILL inflate like a dead cat in a river before all of the sealant releases! Grip comes off and you just wipe the bar down with alcohol, and reapply!
NOTE: Don't be a slob with it, though, it WILL remove paint!

Like I said, it's been 20 some years since I've used these, so this is prob already a standard, played-out method and I'm a dumbass. I can deal with it!
ALSO... what's THE hot grip these days??? Something thin and sticky!

Vinny A

Chimp
May 25, 2007
Philly
Like v-digit said the Animal Edwins are really nice. Another sick grip right now is the Fly Ruben grip.

Oh and another trick I use to get my grips on is hair spray. You spray the bars and the insides of the grips with it, and then the grips slide right on. Give it 24 hours and its sticky as hell and you dont get any throttle grip. I'm not sure if it works with the air compressor trick, Ive never tried it.

Mr Tiles

I'm a beer snob
Nov 10, 2003
L-town ya'll
I like demolition missles and shadows for grips. I've installed thousands of grips over the years and I always use an air compressor to put them on and take them off. usually don't have throttle using this method.

v-digit

Turbo Monkey
Apr 3, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
or you can use zipties - just stuff a bunch in the grip and slide it on. then pull the zipties out with pliers/hands.

to take the off, i just cut them - they are too worn anyway, who cares.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
I'm only using the compressor to get them on/off, but you guys aren't using anything to "secure" the grip to the bars?? And they're not slipping on or/off/around??? Maybe grips have come a long ways, but I've never met a pair of grips that stay put on their own. EVER.

ServeEm

Turbo Monkey
Feb 21, 2006
SacTown
I love my s&m logo grips w/ flange cut. Nice and thin. I use a small spray of windex and they slide on good, no twisting afterwards. And yea I cut mine when finished.

RimJobbed

Monkey
Apr 11, 2006
You can lightly sand the bars before you put them on, no slip, this requires the compressor though. The hair spray trick is a good one too.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
it seems like it would be a horrible idea, but a very small squirt of wd-40 on the inside of a brand new grip works well. it must evaporate, soak in or something, b/c it only stays slippery for a few minutes, but then the grip on there pretty good.

to get grips off, wedge a screwdriver down in between the grip and the bar, spray wd-40 inside, a couple of twists and pull it off.

ebrider510

Monkey
Dec 7, 2006
Bay Area, CA
just use an air compressor to get them on/off. i hate when my grips are at all wet with anything so i never use hairspray or anything on them. my animal edwins don't slide at all really on my bars so i just put em on and forget about it. getting some new grips today though, wore through the edwins kind of quick, but it was worth it.

Leethal

Turbo Monkey
Oct 27, 2001
Avondale (Phoenix)
In case you don't have an air compessor..

Alcohol on bar, slide on grip, use a Basketball needle and pump force alcohol to evaporate by stabbing the grib with the needle...

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Installation or removal isn't the issue, just throttling. Perhaps I have too much hand strength from juvenile... hand...umm...love? Maybe I've also just never even tried grips without any adhesion agents, so I didn't even know they COULD hold fast on their own!

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Lightly sand the bars w/ 120 grit paper.

Apply dab if pure rubbing alcohol to the inside of the grips and install.

Ride.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
OK... the whole point of this thread was because I found something that worked incredibly well that DIDN'T glue the grips to the bars!!!! I hated grip glue then, I sure ain't gonna like it now. The non-lock grips I used to use always worked OK on their own for like 2, maybe 3 weeks at best, then I would have to add some form of adhesive agent to them or buy new grips. I do think I do some funny things with my hands, like twist them too much or something, as I can even rip the "planks" off a pair of the North Shore series lock-ons, and I usually end up stripping the bolts in them anyway as I have to keep tightening them becasue I can spin em in one hard day of riding. I gots da GI Joe Kung Fu grip!

Mar 10, 2005
Santa Cruz/Sacramento, Ca
Get one of those small bottles of compressed air cans they use to clean out computers and electronics.

Then, it's just a matter sealing one side (with your palm if needed) and sticking the straw under the grip. Squeeze the compressed air can and push the grip on. The air will make it go one easy!

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Get one of those small bottles of compressed air cans they use to clean out computers and electronics.

Then, it's just a matter sealing one side (with your palm if needed) and sticking the straw under the grip. Squeeze the compressed air can and push the grip on. The air will make it go one easy!
OK... so now we have two pages of posts saying that air works to put grips on. It would prob help if this thread was called the "How many ways can you use air to install a grip???" thread! Good grief people, it isn't hard to put a rubber sleeve onto a steel bar! I only posted(regretfully now!)another quick trick to keeping them in place once there!

ServeEm

Turbo Monkey
Feb 21, 2006
SacTown
OK... so now we have two pages of posts saying that air works to put grips on. It would prob help if this thread was called the "How many ways can you use air to install a grip???" thread! Good grief people, it isn't hard to put a rubber sleeve onto a steel bar! I only posted(regretfully now!)another quick trick to keeping them in place once there!
Why don't you drop your grips and pump your brakes. I know I flame sometimes but damn man, you're emotional. People are gonna offer their methods, yours honestly sounds messy and unnecessary. Maybe that's why people posted theirs, I'd rather use a dash of windex instead of some messy goop. To each his/her own.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Why don't you drop your grips and pump your brakes. I know I flame sometimes but damn man, you're emotional. People are gonna offer their methods, yours honestly sounds messy and unnecessary. Maybe that's why people posted theirs, I'd rather use a dash of windex instead of some messy goop. To each his/her own.
And I had nothing against tips on getting the grips to stick, it's when it got derailled into 30 replies of how to get the grips onto the bars that annoyed me. Which I think I stated several times over and even you didn't seem to catch. Who doesn't know how to get grips onto bars? Any idiot can do that, even Sokoloka I bet, though it might be worth recording on vid. The only reply here that shocked me was the first one stating that their grips stay put right out of the package, with no assistance. Might have to try that!
Everyone else gets to get pissed off when their threads get derailled, why can't I? And I'm not emotional, I'm annoyable. :rant: :)

And my tip isn't messy, it's actually pretty clean and simple, and doesn't leave that hardened glue crap stuck all over the bars when you take them off. But hopefully it isn't necessary at all with the right grips? Gonna try it and see, but I'm doubtful...

v-digit

Turbo Monkey
Apr 3, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
seriously man.
get some animal edwin grips.
get your bars nice and clean and dry.
then slide them on, they WILL stay in place.
works for me.

ServeEm

Turbo Monkey
Feb 21, 2006
SacTown
Tire sealant. NOT tire CEMENT! It's a gooey, messy black ooze that you apply with a brush to steel rims. Grip comes off and you just wipe the bar down with alcohol, and reapply!
NOTE: Don't be a slob with it, though, it WILL remove paint!
I'm not scared of a mess but that sounds messy and if I can accomplish the same result without the use of a messy black ooze as you stated I would do so.

You are emotional, annoyance is an emotion.... You get worked up faster and more than my wife.

Another thing, most everyone that replied are talking about how they put their grips on with them sticking in place. In the same breath they might have mentioned how they take it off but who cares, so you seemed to not catch that. So read "YOUR" thread before you fly off the handle.

Stoked

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2004
LI, NY
make a love explosion on the bars and slide the grip on. works for me :biggrin:
j/k :poster_oops:

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
I'm not scared of a mess but that sounds messy and if I can accomplish the same result without the use of a messy black ooze as you stated I would do so.

OK, well when you say it it sounds messy...;) It's actually not, I guess maybe I'm overcompensating to make sure peeps didn't sling it all over the place and end up with a raw frame.

And I may be emotional, BUT IT'S MY THREAD AND I CAN THROW ALL THE DAMN TANTRUMS I WANT! :shakefist:
I really don't think I'm ever as pissed off as I prob "sound" in some of my replies. Some, yes, but most not.
Besides, I kinda thought this thread ended back when I discovered that grips these days stay in place on their own. But it kept going.....

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
seriously man.
get some animal edwin grips.
get your bars nice and clean and dry.
then slide them on, they WILL stay in place.
works for me.

Yep, they're on the way! Uh...and so are a pair of Shadow Ol' Dirtys cuz I forgot I had already ordered a pair of Edwins... Oh well!

And STOKED..? Remind me to never ride your bike if we ever meet!

Mar 10, 2005
Santa Cruz/Sacramento, Ca
I know this is your thread and your internet, so I should probably apologize for not telling you what you wanted to hear.

Did that come off as offensive to you? Yes. You know why? I read it over and made sure it seemed that way. This is the internet. We don't have the luxury of tone or facial expressions to help interpret what someone says. If you keep on thinking that people take your posts offensively without doing anything about it, then you've got no one to blame but yourself. If you don't want to be taken wrong, then write something that won't be interpreted the other way.

I know people talked about air compressors, but I thought a small can of the stuff was something different from the things that had been suggested earlier.

In any case, the hot grips in the BMX community are Animal Edwins and ODI Longnecks. You probably rode bikes with similar patterns back when you rode slide-on grips, but those Longnecks will always feel nice. I can't wait until I run through my set of S&M grips so I can get a pair. I'd love to ride without gloves again!

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
I know this is your thread and your internet, so I should probably apologize for not telling you what you wanted to hear.
Did that come off as offensive to you? Yes.
Actually no. I don't get offended. You can jab at me or my mother or my bike(well, maybe) all day long and I'm not bothered by that. And I really don't see how that sentence above is supposed to be offensive. Maybe you're just too nice a guy and it shines through?

[/QUOTE]I'd love to ride without gloves again! [/QUOTE]

I just did that by accident the other day, and even with my cheapies it was great! prob the first time without gloves since I was a "freestyler" back in the late 80s! And then it was just cool to wear gloves. Fingerless ones!