Quantcast

grip recommendations?

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I need to get new grips. I read the thread a while back about how to get them to stay on. I tried the rubbing alcohol thing, but it didn't work. I was riding this past weekend and the grip came right off the handlebar in the middle of a climb. The Rocky Mountain factory grips have got to go!

Can anyone recommend a good grip (manufacturer and type)?

Squeak

Get your pork here.
Sep 26, 2001
COlo style
Same here. Cheap hair spray sample bottle I got, dont even remember the name but the bottle is pink.

I have been useing WTB dual compound grips for about 5 months. I like em.

riderx

Monkey
Aug 14, 2001
Fredrock
Been using the ODI Lock-ons for a while now and they work pretty good. I'd like the option of a slightly softer compound, but it's a minor point. I also like the Ritchey True Grips, especially the ones with the little fins. Been running those on one of my bikes for years (no, not the same pair of grips for years!)

VTinCT

Flexmaster Flexy Flex
Sep 24, 2001
Lost in the woods...
I must agree with the ODI lock on comments, but Serfas also makes a super sweet lock on grip. I picked up a pair last season, and they rock! The grip feel is what sets them apart. i couldn't find another pair quick enough, so I went ODI and so far have been stoked on them...I've never had any other method of securing a grip really work so...:D

Forest Gimp

Chimp
Sep 8, 2001
BC, Canada
I like the Race Face grips, not too small of a diameter and very sticky. I use Varathane spray for an adhesive, and rubbing alcohol to remove the grips when necessary.

chrisJohn

Chimp
Oct 2, 2001
Fayetteville, AR
but Oury's work by far the best for me. Clean your bars well, then use hair spray, works like a champ.

ODI lock on grips never did it for me, as they all seemed to wear fast.

Ourys come in every color imaginable, provide great cushion, non slip gripping surface. Seriously, try out a set, you won't be disappointed.

Ranger

Swift, Silent, Deadly!
Aug 16, 2001
Y'all can't see me...
Servus!

I use BioGrip Race grips. I find that I have better control and my hands don't ever hurt or get numb anymore.

I am a big proponent of the hair spray technique. When you need to get the grips off again, just use a syringe to squirt water under the grip, have a beer, and the water will have softened the hair spray again and the grips slide right off.

G

grommet

ODI makes a great pair called Lock-Ons and Serfas also does. I have the Serfas ones on my bike and they hold really well. The Serfas grips are larger in diameter than the ODI's so I like them a bit more.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I decided to try out the Oury grips. They're cheap enough. $8. If I don't like them, I'll chuck them and try out the $24 ODI Lock Downs.

Thanks for all the input, guys!

Shibby

Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
cambridge, ma
the Oury ATV grips (equivalent of their DH grip) are the best grips I have ever tried for DH. that includes the ODI lock-on BS. They're nice and cushy, but not so as to interfere with control or mess up my hands. I dig em. Plus they're cheap, and they last forever.

Power to the Oury.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Originally posted by Shibby
the Oury ATV grips (equivalent of their DH grip) are the best grips I have ever tried for DH. that includes the ODI lock-on BS. They're nice and cushy, but not so as to interfere with control or mess up my hands. I dig em. Plus they're cheap, and they last forever.

Power to the Oury.
So THERE, Acadian.

:D :D :D

M

MuDHoG

Originally posted by Squeak
Same here. Cheap hair spray sample bottle I got, dont even remember the name but the bottle is pink.

I have been useing WTB dual compound grips for about 5 months. I like em.
Salon Selectives?

G

gravity

Oury Oury Oury Oury Oury Oury Oury Oury Oury Oury Oury Oury Oury Oury Oury Oury Oury Oury Oury Oury Oury Oury Oury Oury Oury Oury Oury Oury Oury Oury Oury Oury Oury Oury Oury Oury Oury Oury Oury Oury Oury Oury Oury Oury Oury Oury Oury Oury Oury Oury Oury Oury Oury Oury Oury Oury Oury Oury Oury Oury Oury Oury Oury Oury Oury Oury Oury Oury Oury Oury Oury Oury Oury Oury Oury Oury Oury Oury Oury Oury Oury Oury Oury Oury

Oury are good.

Ranger

Swift, Silent, Deadly!
Aug 16, 2001
Y'all can't see me...
Servus!

Can someone explain to me why the ODI Lock On's cost so damned much here in Europe? We're talking about $25 for the grips and then $25 for the lock rings! (Equivalent in Deutschmarks, of course) That's alot of bones for some rubber and aluminum!

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Originally posted by Ranger
Servus!

Can someone explain to me why the ODI Lock On's cost so damned much here in Europe? We're talking about $25 for the grips and then $25 for the lock rings! (Equivalent in Deutschmarks, of course) That's alot of bones for some rubber and aluminum!
WOW! I was gonna buy a pair that cost $16 for the grips, and they came with locks.

ATXjimATX

the artist formerly known as OldDickDynamite
Oct 4, 2001
Austin, TEXAS
like the paintjob on the PX! I have a Rad in the same scheme.
one of the sweetes paintjobs ever.... and as an added bonus---strippers just seem to love it !!!!!
O_D_D

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I used my Oury grips for the first time today. I love them. They didn't budge from my handlebars, and I didn't use any kind of adhesive. I would recommened the Oury grips to anyone.

$8 from Performance, $11 from my LBS. Go figure.

As a side note, when I took the Rocky Mountain factory grips off my bike, they actually had rips in them that I could not see when they were on the bike. They're only a couple months old. Damn factory grips.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
the race face good n evil. can't say enough good things about 'em, and they have totally converted me from the ourys, which i also liked quite a bit.

the better qualities of the RF are the shape (tapered at each end, so it fits your hand better) and the tackiness (extremely grippy). but, they also wear faster.