Quantcast

Grip Shift or Rapid Fire?

R

RideMonkey

What are your thoughts on Grip Shift vs. Shimano? I like them both. I will be upgrading to a 9 speed drivetrain this winter and I am thinking about going SRAM.

kyusscowboy

Chimp
Jul 16, 2001
Dont do it! I have alot of trouble using gimpshift it just dont feel right...if you really want to change get some old thumbies...or go single speed!;)

gchavarr

Chimp
Jul 4, 2001
Milpitas CA
A vote for both

I use both. I have a dualie with Rapidfire and a hardtail with SRAM Shorty shifters. Both bikes have identical drivetrain and derailleurs (XT/Raceface). I have not had a performance issue with either system.

The Shorties feel more precise and shift better in all trail and pedaling conditions. This may be because the shifters are on a hardtail. If I had to buy again, I would go with the full ESP system for the 1:1 shift ratio. The Rapidfire shifters feel a little better while riding because of the shifter placement relative to the brake levers. With my SRAM setup, I have to have my hand on/near the shifter in order to grab the brake lever. Unwanted shifts are a bigger problem with half-pipe. Depending on how you ride, this may be the only drawback. I got used to this pretty quickly and it does not bother me anymore.

If I were less wishy-washy I would recommend one over the other, but I don't think you would go wrong with either system.

Phreaddy

Chimp
Jul 5, 2001
New York City
But it depends entirely on your personal preference.

I understand (but don't know for sure) that Gripshift is lighter. And I do know for sure that it's a lot less complicated a mechanism, with less likely to go wrong. As for whether that makes it actually more reliable is anyone's guess.
I've had Gripshift XRays since 1996, and never had a problem with. I've taken them apart to clean and lube them maybe three times, when I was having shifting problems, and everytime the problem turned out to be something else entirely. (Bad derailleur pivot, frayed cable in housing, etc.) Go with whatever motion feels most comfortable. But I'd stick to the shorties and stay away from the half pipes. Just seems like a lot of potential for unintended shifts.

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
It boils down to personnal preference. I've logged time on both and both have plusses and minuses. I have short fingers and combined with Hayes levers, rapidfire is not very ergonomic. The thumb paddle is OK but the trigger is to far inboard which requires a bit of a contortion to shift. The front rapidfire has only 3 positions and getting a 9spd set up to not rub is nearly immpossible without a little judicious bending of the front derailleur.

Grip shift on the other hand has micro adjust for the front derailleur. Ergonomically it works very well for me but then the reach to the brake levers is now not perfect. Its really a brake lever issue though. The first hayes levers had a wide clamp and all Hayes levers do not have enough range in the lever reach adjustment area. I've gone to Razor Rock replacement levers which makes it adequate.

So you should try it with your brake levers first to see what sort of change it will make and whether or not it will be an issue.

muddywolf

Chimp
Jul 1, 2001
somewhere in the desert
Ive used both also and I like the rapid fire by far... the one thing I do like is the range of adjustment with gripshift on the front. but like everyone else says it all comes down to personal preference

novice

Chimp
Aug 8, 2001
Madison, WI
I have used gripshifts and loved them. But I like technical terrain, and the gripshift wrist twisting action doesn't allow you to shift while braking. My $0.02.

Phreaddy

Chimp
Jul 5, 2001
New York City
Position the hand carefully, anticipating the actions needed next (which wayyou'll shift, etc.).
Place thumb & forefinger around Gripshift. Place index finger on brake. No, you won't be able to shift the entire range while braking, but you should be able to move two or three gears on the rear, and at least one on the front.

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
Personal preference................EXACTLY!!! It's what you feel comfortable with. I like SRAM........

To me it's easier to shift while riding singletrack.......
I don't like having to twist my wrist while riding, I like to have better control of my bike.

Just my opinion..........

:o

B-Loco

Chimp
Aug 13, 2001
South Florida
I'ld say try to log some dirt time with both and see which is better for you. Try not to just ride around the parking lot - both will shift fine there. You gotta see what works for you when you're attacking the rough stuff.

For me rapidfire - multiple shifts with a thumb press and I can brake. But I've ridden both. Sram is right up and good stuff can't go wrong with either.

Ranger

Swift, Silent, Deadly!
Aug 16, 2001
Y'all can't see me...
Servus!

I'll be lame and say that I like them both. For me, having GripShift was sort of a control issue - I never really had to release my full grip on the bars so it "felt" safer. I currently run the XT triggers and like them for the "shift/brake" ability. Still have the SRAM twisties on my old Trek. I love em for urban assault as well!