Quantcast

Grip Shifters Vs. Triggers.... who uses what and why?

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Well it looks like I'm going to be getting a slightly used SRAM X.9 rear derailleur (what bike I'll put it on remains to be determined) and that means I'll need some SRAM shifters.

I'm contemplating giving grip shifters a try this time around.

I've already got one vote for the twisters from psycle_on, but I'd like to hear from other Monkeys.

What do you use on your bikes and why?

Thanks!

MMcG

J

JRB

I like the shifting, but it made my wrists hurt. I have some X9 triggers that I don't like really. I prefer XT/XTR pods.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Triggers all the way. Twisters and I have not gotten along well.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
I've never been a fan of twist shifting, but it's totally a personal preference thing. I use SRAM triggers on my bikes that shift... I'll never go back to Shimano's junk.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I used twisters many years ago on my brother in law's bike that I first borrowed to get started riding on the trails and it felt fine to me........but my other bikes came with triggers so that's what I used.

Might be worth it to try em out.

I tend to crash a lot so perhaps they'd be a better bet for me anyway!

Morryjg

Mr. Ho Jangles
May 9, 2003
Littleton
twisty motion is hard to do and brake at the same time. And you can adjust the triggers to fit your hand position. The grip shifters are always in the same place.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
what kind of riding will you be doing? For urban and dirtjump/dh style riding i prefer triggers. As far as xc goes twist would be fine with me.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I use the SRAM Attack triggers with Shimano deraileurs. Love 'em.
I've used just about everything at one time or another. These are the way to go.

tartosuc

Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
montreal
I used to say that i would never have a twistshifter...now I have both!

thumbshifters on my dh bike and twist shifters on my xc bike...

I ended up with twist shifters on my xc bike by mistake, i was getting sram triggers when my LBS made a mistake and ordered twishifters instead...I already had twishifter in a box at home so i decided to give it a try while i was waiting for the new triggers to come in...suprisingly I really like them! especially the front one with the micro ajust. now i'm not sure i will go back to the triggers i ordered!

one thing for sure i would not use twist shifter for dh...

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
I like Twisters for front b/c of the micro adjust. Triggers OR twisters for back.
Triggers shift well while braking, twisters can go from biggest to smallest in one motion.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
only triggers. I've tried grip shifters a couple of times and if they are tuned just right, I tend to shift inadvertantly... and generally at bad times.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
-BB- said:
I like Twisters for front b/c of the micro adjust. Triggers OR twisters for back.
Triggers shift well while braking, twisters can go from biggest to smallest in one motion.
Werd.

I liked the combo so much on my favorite bike that for some time, I had a trigger for the front and a twist for the rear on my least favorite ride.

bballboy388

Monkey
Dec 4, 2004
grip shifts or what ever suck its a good idea but the ones i had broke easy and on drops and stuff my hands would hit the shifters and the gears would get a screwed up go with triggers there way better

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
bballboy388 said:
grip shifts or what ever suck its a good idea but the ones i had broke easy and on drops and stuff my hands would hit the shifters and the gears would get a screwed up go with triggers there way better
Jeezus, man. How about at least a *little* punctuation? :rolleyes:

-S.S.-

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
-BB- said:
:stupid:

I used twisters for years and loved them. Occationally I would ghost shift which would tick me off, but the micro ajdustment of the front is great.

I now have triggers on my current bike just because that's what it came with. I've only ridden them a few months, but I like them a lot. The only thing I miss is the ability to go from biggest to smallest in one twist.

I say it comes down to personal preference.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
I shift both ways, but then I am kinky like that.

I like both but the grip shifters didn't fit on my bars with the lock on grips so I went with Shimano triggers.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Nothing is more annoying to listen to when you are racing in a tight line, then someone with grip shifters. Why do they have to be so loud?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Heidi said:
Nothing is more annoying to listen to when you are racing in a tight line, then someone with grip shifters. Why do they have to be so loud?
To throw off your opponents. Nothing like getting on someones wheel and giving them a triple click upshift to let them know "yo gettin' passed sucka!".

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i've used twist shifters since '95 or so, after my original suntour rear hub died and i couldn't find a 7spd hub. so i went w/ the SRAM x-rays and shimano rear. then since about '97 or so i've been on ESP stuff exclusively. i love it and will never use triggers. i sprained my thumb pretty badly (a combo of basketball and one specific crash), and i don't have a lot of strength in it any more. upshifting w/ triggers wasn't the greatest, as someone mentioned w/ gripshift you can get a whole bunch of gears at once.

who shifts when they brake?

and indexed front derailleurs are a stupid idea, imo.

SRAM FO LIFE YO.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
narlus said:
<snip> as someone mentioned w/ gripshift you can get a whole bunch of gears at once.
Triggers have had this feature for a number of years as well.

who shifts when they brake?
<raises hand> Me. Quite often.

and indexed front derailleurs are a stupid idea, imo.
I'll one up you and say *any* indexing is a stupid idea......... but that may be the curmudgeon in me talking. ;)

-S.S.-

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Twisters all the way. I just like how you can shift a whole cog set in one turn. I don;t mind triggers though.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
JMAC said:
Twisters all the way. I just like how you can shift a whole cog set in one turn. I don;t mind triggers though.
:stupid:

I prefer twisties but I can hop on a trigger bike with no problems.

Hello Kitty

Monkey
Nov 25, 2004
Houston
i've had them all and tried them all from the old XTR to the new XTR but nothing can match the awesome power of the Sram X.0 gripshift for racing.

Morryjg

Mr. Ho Jangles
May 9, 2003
Littleton
SkaredShtles said:
Triggers have had this feature for a number of years as well.

-S.S.-
Not for the front derailleur. But, I don't know how much I would shift big to small or small to big. I guess if you have the option you would use it, but I don't know that I'm missing out on much by having triggers.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
Morryjg said:
Not for the front derailleur. But, I don't know how much I would shift big to small or small to big. I guess if you have the option you would use it, but I don't know that I'm missing out on much by having triggers.
:think: Yeah - you know I didn't even consider the front der.... maybe a nice old friction thumbshifter for the front. :thumb:

Of course, if I'm going uphill I'm always in granny, if I'm going down I'm always in the big. :rolleyes:

-S.S.-

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
narlus said:
this question is the equivalent of asking "flats or clipless" on the DH board. :D
i agree, i don't mind running either/or. i wish they would make a psychic derailluer that i could command with thought, that'd be cool........

Joe Pozer

Mullet Head
Aug 22, 2001
Redwood City
Skookum said:
i agree, i don't mind running either/or. i wish they would make a psychic derailluer that i could command with thought, that'd be cool........
Forget that! That takes too much brain power. I rather not shift at all so I ride a Land Rider bike. I used to intimidated by thought of having to shift or I would forget which shifter worked the rear derailleur - now I just worry about riding. Look at all the features my bike comes with:

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
Joe Pozer said:
Forget that! That takes too much brain power. I rather not shift at all so I ride a Land Rider bike. I used to intimidated by thought of having to shift or I would forget which shifter worked the rear derailleur - now I just worry about riding. Look at all the features my bike comes with:

Hahaha! I saw one of those at the lake last weekend :confused: