Quantcast

Grippiest Grabbiest Platform Pedals????

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
Brunettes said:
Anything by good BMX companies

bmx pedals usually aren't that grippy because they aren't designed to ride on Mountain bike type trails where you bounce over roots, rocks, etc. etc. Don't get me wrong, I personally ride JC's, and there good for what I do, but most of my friends that ride mountain bikes feel unfomfortable on them.

Here's what I suggest as the GRABbIEST platform pedals...

FUNN SOL JAM VIPERS

they have a nice big bmx style body, they have good sized removeable pin's, and to top it all off they have GRIP TAPE in the center of the pedal so your foot really won't slip around. To top it all off, they are fairly light for the size pedal you are getting.

They are pretty inexpensive when you compare them with Atomlab, and Easton, but I think they are some of the grippiest pedals around.

Listen to OGripper too, shoes make a big difference.

jebfour

Turbo Monkey
Jun 19, 2003
CLT, NC
I think that for the short term solution I'm going to just try longer pins in my existing Shimano DX pedals. I pulled one of the pins out of the pedal and went to every hardware store in town to see if they had any that would fit. Nope.

After searching and searching on the net, I've concluded that Shmano gives the sizes as "small & large". That's nice and all, but not quite acurate enough since I want to get something about 1/8" longer than the "large". Anyone know the diameter of these pins? They appear to be 3mm but I could be wrong....

dromond

Monkey
Aug 20, 2002
Northampton, MA
scurban said:
...to top it all off they have GRIP TAPE in the center of the pedal so your foot really won't slip around...
Yeah I doubt that grip tape is going to do anything the second it gets the tiniest bit moist. So silly.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
OGRipper said:
Don't ignore what a few people have mentioned: Get some 5.10 Impact shoes. Once you do, just about any of the pedals mentioned will have plenty of grip. I ride shimano DX and Aircorp flats. The Aircorps are super grippy and have a very low profile, but they also have some bearing/bushing slop that is pretty annoying. The shimanos are only slightly taller and have a better bearing system.
Yup. Regardless of what pedal you have (as long as they are BMX-type with replaceable pins), your feet will stick like GLUE with the 5.10 shoes. They're actually grippier than with clips, as with clips I can move my foot around some once clipped in. With 5.10s, you have to physically pick your foot up and place it down again if you're not completely on the pedal. This is based on several different pedals (Wellgo B57s, B-somethingorothers, Funn, Eastons, etc), it really does depend on the shoes.

WheelieMan

Monkey
Feb 6, 2003
kol-uh-RAD-oh
dante said:
Yup. Regardless of what pedal you have (as long as they are BMX-type with replaceable pins), your feet will stick like GLUE with the 5.10 shoes. They're actually grippier than with clips, as with clips I can move my foot around some once clipped in. With 5.10s, you have to physically pick your foot up and place it down again if you're not completely on the pedal. This is based on several different pedals (Wellgo B57s, B-somethingorothers, Funn, Eastons, etc), it really does depend on the shoes.
I have found that the 5.10 shoes are almost too sticky. When i get to the bottom of a run and try to take my foot off the pedal, sometimes it won't come off right away! It's hard to explain...

jebfour

Turbo Monkey
Jun 19, 2003
CLT, NC
I'm sold on the 5.10 shoes. I'll be picking up a pair!

I've never in my life seen so many people on an internet message board agree on the same thing!

To those of you that have replaced them......any guesses as to the size of those pins?

Heavy C

Chimp
Dec 5, 2001
The Syncros for sure are the grippiest I've tried. They come with super long pins with the double cut top.
I ended up taking a few of the pins out as they where almost to grippy for my taste. Super durable. Mags are a lot lighter than the steel design.
They also come with a full set of replacement pins and are easy to get out with a 6 mm wrench. I think next year they will come with shorter pins as well.

Well RE the shinburgers. The shinburgers as you see them on the site suck. They don't shed mud, and they're about as grippy as a wet fish. However.. You can get them modified into something called "Vegie-burgers", where they basically machine out a helluva lot of pedal, turning them into more of a standard flat with the teeth on the outside and near the axel.. Major major improvement.

I ran a pair of the assaults in france this year. Amazing. But you do need grip on your shoe for them to work. My shoes are getting a bit slick through general W&T and they don't grip too well to the outer cages.

They were second hand, beaten, bashed, and the bearings still ran better than most new pedals. Excellent if you can find a pair. Not if you're a weight weenie however.

I'de still have them if my bike hadnt been jacked. If i can find another pair i'l get them for sure.

Best pedals available on the market imho are Burgtec Penthouse flats. Good platform, excellent bearings, and daftly grippy. Cool looking pins too. Expensive, but come in the best camo colour you won't mind.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Specialized Lo-Pro mag's, they are crazy thin (profile) with gobs of traction and they are really light to boot. Plus the pins thread in from the back so they are easy to replace after they are all smashed to crap from rocks etc. Two :thumb: 's up for sure. I recently switched to SPD's but the Speccy's were my all time fave flats for sure.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
i just picked up a pair of platforms from a small company called tribe. i got them at evolution bike shop in whistler, and the shop gal told me that they are "made" by a local guy who orders them out of at catalog and has his name stamped on them. they look like the 24 Toasters. they grip like hell. they have a huge platform, not as big as Kore's (which have the biggest platform dimensions i know of) but close. i liked them better than the syncros that my buddy had on his bike, and i liked them better than the welgo's and a-frames that i have used in the past.

DHCorky

Monkey
Aug 5, 2003
Headed to the lift...
I think you should just get some 5.10 shoes. Then any pedal you run will be grippy. The shoes grip like nothing else. You have to literally lift your foot to reposistion it. If the sole is touching a pin your foot is not moving..

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
jeb4 said:
I think someone posted the pedals in the attached pic on here at some point....anyone ever tried them???

Thanks!

jeb4
yeah I own a set of those (Assault Racing MX-100).

The body is made of strong CNC’ed Alcoa 6082 T6 aluminum with beautiful, military grade, black hard anodizing. Both outer gripping plates are made of laser cut, 304 stainless steal and are inspired from MX. Just like all pins, bolts and nuts the outer plate are replaceable. These beauties spin on 16mm CNC 17/4 stainless spindles and INA sealed bearings and shaft seals. To add a nice finishing touch to this masterpiece - all logos and graphics are laser etched - very nice pedal!!!

Just by the looks, you can automatically assume that they will grip to any shoe. Heck if you could tie them to your shoes, you could probably climb up trees! ;) Needless to say, since they use sealed bearings, they have a super smooth action!

If you are a weight weenie, the weight of these pedals might be an issue for you. They could almost be used as boat anchors. The price is also a tad on the steep side at around $200 US a pair (back then).

I also think Assult racing is no longer in business...their web site has been down for at leat a year...

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I used to use Wellgo B-27s (?) and they were great, but they weren't very durable. I switched to AtomLab Aircorps. Very grippy, good concave shape, very THIN which I really like (feels like your standing right on the axle) but I too have experienced some slop (side2side) in both pairs I own.

I've ridden the Truvativ pedals recently and think those are pretty good too.

I've tried Azonic flats; super grippy but for some reason not so comfy under foot.

I'd buy Aircorps again first, Truvativ second.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
OGRipper said:
Don't ignore what a few people have mentioned: Get some 5.10 Impact shoes. Once you do, just about any of the pedals mentioned will have plenty of grip. I ride shimano DX and Aircorp flats. The Aircorps are super grippy and have a very low profile, but they also have some bearing/bushing slop that is pretty annoying. The shimanos are only slightly taller and have a better bearing system.
I agree. The grippiest pedals out there (and I've tried quite a lot) are Atomlab Aircorps. I had a set- best performing pedals ever....until they blew up...Since, I've run Wellgos, Azonics, Shimanos etc...doesn't matter too much with good shoes and 5.10s are the best.

SXtrailrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 27, 2005
i would go with syncors they are so grippy that they feel like clipless wit ha sof rubber shoe but wear your shin gards becase they will slip eventually and when they do they will hurt

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
what do you guys think about the new 50/50 from crank bros or the new super light azonic pedals

WheelieMan

Monkey
Feb 6, 2003
kol-uh-RAD-oh
zmtber said:
what do you guys think about the new 50/50 from crank bros or the new super light azonic pedals
Well, no one that I know of has ridden the 50/50 pedals...

But by looking at the design, I can tell that the pin design appears to be better than on most pedals. I like how the base of the pin is wide which will probably prevent them from getting destroyed/knocked out of place.

Jul 17, 2003
Salt Lake City
One more vote for Eastons or Atomics with Five.Ten shoes. Sometimes I feel like I have too much traction with my Flatboys while wearing my Impacts, if you put your foot down wrong you can't just unweight and recenter. You actually have to lift your foot off the pedal just to get re-alligned. Any grippier and the shoes wouldn't come off the pedals.

Jul 17, 2003
Salt Lake City
Sandwich said:
The guys at go-ride suggested to me not to go with the flatboys because they are just that, flat. Something with a slight concave is easier on the ball of the foot for longer days. A-frames have sealed bearings too.
You sure about that? Von and I both ride Eastons because they have concave to them.

WheelieMan

Monkey
Feb 6, 2003
kol-uh-RAD-oh
James | Go-Ride said:
while wearing my Impacts, if you put your foot down wrong you can't just unweight and recenter. You actually have to lift your foot off the pedal just to get re-alligned. Any grippier and the shoes wouldn't come off the pedals.
I have experienced that as well. You have to make sure you completely remove your foot from the pedal to reposition, can't just slide it over like most shoes. But the advantages still outweigh the disadvantages with 5.10s!

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
James | Go-Ride said:
You sure about that? Von and I both ride Eastons because they have concave to them.
Could have sworn...wait, I may have gotten them through someplace else. Still, I swear somebody there told me that the aframes would be better than the atomic/easton flatties because they were really flat...I'm talking about the original 14mm thick ones.

Regardless, the azonics have a nice comfortable concave too them, but not too much like primos do. Can't vouch for the atomic/eastons, but everyone and their mom seems to ride them.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
With my Supergo pedals, I've actually fallen over they have so much grip, and that was with Vans. They're called PP-1's and were on clearance for around $30. Plus, they're really light (even more so that Specialized Lo-Pros)

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
50/50's are suspose to be out sometime this week I think. Atleast that's what I was told but a good source :)

As far as grippy pedals go whoever said the Ringle ZuZu's was on crack. They are probably some of the worst gripping pedals I've owned. The pins need to be sharper to help with grip but I run them on the non-dh bike because I don't smack pedals so often. Otherwise they'd explode.

Now.....I really like the Shimano DX pedals with tall pins on the outsides and short guys on the insides. Nice concave, spin forever, pretty strong. Basicly what you want in a pedal. I can tell a huge difference between the ZuZu's and the Shimano DX pedals. It's not even funny. With skater style shoes they grip very well. With 5.10's they'd grip like no other.

Any pedal that uses a set pin system for the traction pins will grip pretty well to begin with. Anything with a slight concave will just add to it. Bearing/bushing wise it depends on the materials used. I have no idea what the ZuZu's have for bearings but they spin sorta hard. Not as free spinning as the Shimano DX's that I have.

I'm waiting for the Crank Bros pedals as well to come out. All I gotta say is they better rock for the money because anything over $50+ better be good, and anything pushing the $100 mark better have no problems or issues. But pedals are all a prefrence, some will love the cheapy pedals and others swear by the $100 ones.