Quantcast

Grippiest Grabbiest Platform Pedals????

jebfour

Turbo Monkey
Jun 19, 2003
CLT, NC
For some reason, I just could never get used to clipless pedals....I tried and tried, but unless I'm on a mellow ride with my wife I just can't stand them.

In any event, I'm currently using Shimano DX pedals, and while they aren't half bad, I would like to get something that has more "grab"...what are the "grippiest" pedals that you have found?

I think someone posted the pedals in the attached pic on here at some point....anyone ever tried them???

Thanks!

jeb4

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
grippiest pedal ive ever been near is the atomic aircorp, it has issues with bearing life and the new version that only has a big bushing has some side to side play issues but the grip is probably world beating.

cjcrashesalot

Monkey
May 15, 2005
WA
Sun Ringle Zu Zu's are pretty grippy, and have a nice feel due to their slight concavity. They're inexpensive, but also are prone to breaking/cracking around the bridges if you nail a few rock with em.

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
tioga mx pedals. you have the option of doubling your pin count on each side of the pedal. which in turn gives you the highest pen count outa any other pedals on the market besides the shin burgers. ohh and there light, have a huge concave and grip like hell. i have shoes with no tread and there digging into the soal so they get some hellasous grip.

.:Jeenyus:.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 23, 2004
slc
stubby said:
easton flatboys w 5 10s, also i have no exp witht them but the new crank bro.s flats are pretty sweet and grippy looking
:stupid:

I have flatboys and regular shoes and my feet feel locked on.

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
if you arent woried about weight check out the broklin machine shinbergers

joelsman

Turbo Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
B'ham
I like the wellgo magnesium pedals for light weight and they grip great also, the tioga pdals aren't much heavier and have lots of holes though. I recommed either of these.

jebfour

Turbo Monkey
Jun 19, 2003
CLT, NC
WOW! I was just looking at the shinburgers on mtbr and they look fairly violent....just right :thumb: I most always wear leg armor anymore, so the shred factor really isn't a problem...

I know some guys that use the Azonic pedals and like them, but the shinburgers may be just what I'm looking for (like the guy a few posts above mentioned...the Hutch pedals (anyone else remember those??)

OK, now where online can I buy these (for the best price of course). Local dealers don't carry them.....can you buy direct? Links?

As usual, RM members deliver the goods...... ;)

MaD666MaX

Monkey
Jul 24, 2004
Montreal
i have a paire of those syncros, they are heavy, pricy but grips like hell, i had to grind the pins since they are so sharp, i was just touchin them with my tibia and i was bleedin! i have the stainless steel cage with 3 bearings. around 300$(catalog price)canadian. I had a pair of a frames too and they kicked ass too! check out the atom labs also

May 24, 2005
Baltimore
I can vouch for the a-frames being quite grippy and I wear skate shoes that are a bit on the luggy side (not as flat soled as others). Also, riding FR and DH trails on a hardtail with a relatively low BB means I snag them on rocks somewhat frequently. Great big CLANK and the corners are now silver not black, but they're still going strong.

I've heard the Syncros are fantastic, but also obscenely expensive. There's a few versions obviously, but some have permanent pins verus the replacable screws which are better.

jebfour

Turbo Monkey
Jun 19, 2003
CLT, NC
Someone school my old man (too old for DH'ing) 33 year old self

Do the Eastons = Syncros? If not then what model Eastons and who makes the syncros?

I'm not completely sold on anything yet............

Found the shinburgers at BMW's site. The "pins" look like they are very colse together....so close together that it may impead gripping.....

Who makes the syncros?

zahgurim

Underwater monkey
Mar 9, 2005
lolAsia
The shinburgers aren't the greatest of pedals. They pins are so closely spaced together, and there are so many pins, that they just don't grip well. Also non-replaceable.
I ride the new Wellgo B-77s, and replaced the stock socket-head pins with longer/skinnier phillips-heads from Danscomp. Liked them so much I went out and bought another set for my other bike!

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
5 ten shoes with xpedo's if u dont hit rocks i broke a xpedo in the first day of having em. Wellgo b57 or b27 i think are great pedals.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I've ridden Zu Zu's, A-Frames, Shinburgers, Wellgo mag pedals, Supergo PP-1's, and Tioga MX's. By far the best are the Tiogas and the Supergo pedals. Light, lots of concave, and more grip than all the others. The Shinburgers offered the worst grip by far, followed by the Wellgos and Zu Zu's.

dromond

Monkey
Aug 20, 2002
Northampton, MA
Brunettes said:
Anything by good BMX companies
Not always the case. The best BMX pedals don't necesarrily have too too much grip; just enough. Remember BMX is mostly a dry weather sport. The MTB pedals often tend to be way grippier. i.e. flatboys, etc...

WheelieMan

Monkey
Feb 6, 2003
kol-uh-RAD-oh
Yeah shinburgers look terrible. Way too many contact points and they are not even grippy. Plus, mud has no where to shed.

Having tons of pins is not really a good thing. There have to be few enough pins that your shoe will sink down into the pedal.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Ugh. I think people who suggest BMW Shinburgers as the grippiest pedal either have never tried another good flat pedal, or are just caught up in the look and the mistique, and have simply deluded themselves.

Shinburgers are awful pedals. Definitly the coolest looking pedal on the market, but the grip sucks when dry, it sucks worse when wet, and mud builds up too easily.

jebfour

Turbo Monkey
Jun 19, 2003
CLT, NC
Thanks for all the replies!

A friend sent me some links for the Syncros Mental Pedals and they look like they would do the trick (pretty pricey, but quality doesn't often come cheap). The pedals that they had at Spergo when I was there yesterday didn't look to bad either but the ones that I saw didn't have any concave to them.

Bicyclist - Due to our locations I have to assume that we are both goint to the Supergo in Ventura. Did they have the super double whammy concave Supergo pedals there? Maybe I just missed them....

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I will also vouch for the a-frames. You want something with small, spaced out pins for best grip. You don't really need 14 pins, just make sure they're long enough and spaced out to give you grip. I have a low bike and bang my pedals off everything, and they still seem to be good. Moderate price too, and available everywhere.

Oh yeah, the guys at go-ride suggested to me not to go with the flatboys because they are just that, flat. Something with a slight concave is easier on the ball of the foot for longer days. A-frames have sealed bearings too.

Sherpa

Basking in fail.
Jan 28, 2004
Arkansaw
Sandwich said:
I will also vouch for the a-frames. You want something with small, spaced out pins for best grip. You don't really need 14 pins, just make sure they're long enough and spaced out to give you grip. I have a low bike and bang my pedals off everything, and they still seem to be good. Moderate price too, and available everywhere.

Oh yeah, the guys at go-ride suggested to me not to go with the flatboys because they are just that, flat. Something with a slight concave is easier on the ball of the foot for longer days. A-frames have sealed bearings too.
My flatboys have a concave to them.

Turd Ferguson

Monkey
Dec 21, 2004
Burbank
Shinburgers suck in the wet. I run eastons and they are a straight forward tough pedal. Good shoes make a big diff. 5/10 or anything grippy. You wind up needing less pins with grippy shoes.

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
nycfreeride race lites. these things have sooo much grip with 510 shoes, shed mud easily, are super solid and hand made in the us, look great, are pretty damn light etc etc

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Don't ignore what a few people have mentioned: Get some 5.10 Impact shoes. Once you do, just about any of the pedals mentioned will have plenty of grip. I ride shimano DX and Aircorp flats. The Aircorps are super grippy and have a very low profile, but they also have some bearing/bushing slop that is pretty annoying. The shimanos are only slightly taller and have a better bearing system.