Quantcast

Grips - Thick or thin?

BigHitComp04

Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
Morgantown, WV
Ive got some stock grips on my Demo and they are just too thin. Im gonna get some thick Sunline grips pretty soon. I had ODI Ruffians and i liked those a lot, they were pretty thick. Somehow the thicker grip just makes my bike feel more solid.

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
you should make a poll, you'd get more feedback. half the people here don't like posting reply's

i like thin grips

ronan

Monkey
Dec 7, 2007
Toulouse, France
Ive got some stock grips on my Demo and they are just too thin. Im gonna get some thick Sunline grips pretty soon. I had ODI Ruffians and i liked those a lot, they were pretty thick. Somehow the thicker grip just makes my bike feel more solid.
ruffians are thin grips

i use thick because i have a bad right wrist and the pain is less with thick, and i dont want to wear a brace

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
I ran personagrip tape for a long time, it was tacky and molded for my hands. The problem is that you can swap them out. I would like to find some thin ODI blanks so I could wrap the personagrip around them.

Overall I prefer thinner grips and gloves with minimal padding. But the ODI lizardskins are about the max I like to run.

Mr Ridiculous

Margarita my slippers
Apr 21, 2006
Morgantown, WV
I used to run Ruffians, but they weren't thick enough and my hands would start cramping after a few runs. I switched to the Intense half-flange lock on and it's been smooth sailing.

FOXROX

Turbo Monkey
Jun 23, 2007
hambur,nj
i ride thick sunline grips, because if i run thin grips i found out that at the end of a dh run my hands are so cramped that it actually hurts to open them. also i just hold on to tight :P

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
I used to run thick, "Yeti" lock-ons. One day I threw some uber-thin BMX style grips on, moved my levers way in and I've never gone back, don't know why, really. Could be because I have more finger around the grips, especially when I'm riding the lever.
You've got Sunline support, order a pair of each and lets go ride! Or I'll order a thin, you get a thick and we'll swap midday.

Lollapalooza

Monkey
Jan 22, 2007
I like Ruffians more than any other grip I've tried. Some Funn grips with the same pattern as Ruffians came on my current bike but the compound wasn't as comfy.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Hmm...interesting. All those running thin grips, what size glove do you wear?

I'm wondering if there's a correlation between thin grip lovers and smaller hands. I wear size large gloves and thought I'd like thin grips, cuz sometimes on rough courses your grips start to feel "thicker" and harder to hold on...probably due to hand fatigue. But after installing some, they just feel, well really skinny and seem like I have to consciously remember to grip harder to maintain control. But I wanted to see what other peeps do.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
it's related to hand size (and trendiness of course).

Thin may be in, but not for my XXL mitts. I use ODI Rogues.

-r

Yeti

Monkey
May 17, 2005
yeti cave@the beach
I prefer thicker grips because all my finger and in general my hands suck. Right now I'm running ODI Intense, but I'm looking for thicker grips...anyone know which are the thickest grips out there? my glove size is 11 btw.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
I prefer thicker grips because all my finger and in general my hands suck. Right now I'm running ODI Intense, but I'm looking for thicker grips...anyone know which are the thickest grips out there? my glove size is 11 btw.
Check out the Yeti lock-ons that I was running. Pretty fat. However, they have some thick, raised lettering that kinda rotated when you throttled on the grips a little, after awhile the lettering actually would peel off in places. Probably why I like the waffle patterned grips so much, you get that leverage that you feel the grip gives you, but it's not as prominent.

davet

Monkey
Jun 24, 2004
I always like thin grips better and I never get sore or tired hands.

I've felt that thicker grips make you squeeze harder, causing your hands to fatigue sooner.

That's my theory anyways, carried over from riding streetbikes.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
I've felt that thicker grips make you squeeze harder, causing your hands to fatigue sooner.
That's a good point. I ride really loose-handed. Feels like I just kinda rattle around on the bars. So with thin grips I am able to keep my fingers around more grip while riding looser.

FR4life.

Monkey
Nov 2, 2004
The Bay
I have the bmx ruffians (the ones with the flange) on my demo, and I pretty much always ride that bike with gloves on. I have the demolition team grips on my ht for the second time, and they are legit. Super soft, thick but not too fat, the micro-waffle pattern is nice, never twist or slip at all, and they last longer than any grip I've used. I guess I like to ride a thicker grip on my ht cause I ride it without gloves alot. The clear ones look sick on white/colored bars too.

Attachments

Motoking16

Monkey
May 16, 2005
Bend, OR
Thin, soft compound, half waffle grips. Renthal half waffle soft (the really light grey ones) will do the trick. Although they are not lock ons, they are the best.

Enduro

Monkey
Jul 3, 2002
A country with no mountains
Oury's are about as thick as they get. My hands are a bit bigger than average and I'll never switch to something else.

ZenkiGarage

Monkey
Jan 9, 2007
Portland, Or
Thin, soft compound, half waffle grips. Renthal half waffle soft (the really light grey ones) will do the trick. Although they are not lock ons, they are the best.
When I was racing motocross thats what i used, but id use a razor and cut the waffles off.
Now that im on the cycle i like think grips and rock the hell out of the ourys.

joelsman

Turbo Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
B'ham
I use the odi rogues, thick enough and soft enough.

I have used ruffians but they were too thin.
also used the YETI grips but they gave me blisters

I wear x-large gloves.

Gex

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2004
Seattle
I wear large gloves and run the ruffian on all my bikes. I used to ride the rogues but after 5 whistler runs my hands hated me. Run the ruffians all day with no problems.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Thin grips for me. More control and maybe less fatigue. I have different grips on all my bikes at the moment, but I prefer Ruffians or Intense ODIs. Small hands- size medium gloves usually.

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
i really like my oury lock ons, but i'm thinking i might try something else next time around. i have ruffians on my dj bike and they're pretty nice, i think i like a tiny bit more padding than they offer but they're still great. the ODI x-tremes look pretty nice actually, i may try those next.