Quantcast

Grips

Joe Pozer

Mullet Head
Aug 22, 2001
Redwood City
I am having problems getting my new grips to stay on the handlebar. The usual method of using hair spray to get them to stick doesn't seem to be working, the ends of the grips twist on me.
Any suggestions on how I can get the grips to stick?

Spud

Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Idaho (no really!)
I've always used hairspray to help ease them on the bar, not to make 'em stick. I'm thinking you've got too much hairspray on the grips. Clean them up, shoot a dab of hairspray in them, shake them to get the evaporation started and then try it.

Alternately, I've heard rubbing alcohol works as it evaporates fast.

R

RideMonkey

I have been using Tubular glue for about 6 years and it works great. Tubular glue is the glue that roadies use to glue on their tubular tires. Apply the glue to the inside of the grip, slide on the bar, wipe off excess glue and let dry overnight.

Will_Jekyll

CUSTOM Chimp
Aug 10, 2001
Superior,CO
I use rubbing alcohol because it evaporates quickly and leaves no residue. I find with all other methods if you overdue the amount of hairspray, glue, soapy water, ... they don't dry all of the way or leave a residue behind that causes the grip to move around.

Jul 1, 2001
Humboldt Nation
But they require cutting the grip off when you need to remove shifters or brake levers or if you're changing bars.

1. Spray paint...spray it inside the grip moments before slipping it on. A color resembling the bars works best for this.

2. Spray adhesive. This is available in any hardware store. Same deal as the spray paint but without the color options.

3. Grip adhesive. This can be found in motorcycle and ATV shops. This stuff is messy. If you get it on your clothing it's ruined. It can be difficult to get off your skin too.

riderx

Monkey
Aug 14, 2001
Fredrock
Originally posted by Will_Jekyll
I use rubbing alcohol because it evaporates quickly and leaves no residue. I find with all other methods if you overdue the amount of hairspray, glue, soapy water, ... they don't dry all of the way or leave a residue behind that causes the grip to move around.
This has been the best way I've found. Cheap, easy, and effective.

Joe Pozer

Mullet Head
Aug 22, 2001
Redwood City
Thank you for all of the suggestions. I'll try the rubbing alcohol first. Hopefully that will take care of it and if not, I'll move on to more drastic measures.

Thanks...

LoonyOne

Chimp
Aug 19, 2001
Iowa
I have tried several different ways...
1. Hair spray in the beginning...wife quit using AquaNet, everything else she used didn't work as well and I had a manly stigma about buying hair spray back then.
2. Found brake parts cleaner to work extremely well, as long as the chosen grips have a high enough rubber content. Too much vinyl and they dissolve like salt in water.
3. Found that rubbing alcohol worked almost equally well, and much safer and cheaper. Also, I noticed that when I bought a new shot-peened handlebar the rubbing alcohol no longer worked effecitvely enough.
4. Tried Duco cement. Worked great, however, it melted my new Oury grips down to nothing where the glue puddled at the ends of the bars. Oury recommended 3M spray adhesive.
5. Currently using 'safety' wire, like some people use on MX grips. This works well if you put the grips on dry...a royal pain unless you use an air compressor, which, by the way, is the method of choice for my LBS, and friends that have compressors at home.

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
I've never had success with hairspray either. I tried contact cement once which is what tubular tire glue is but that failed too. ODI lock ons are one solution. Alcohol works well as does wd40. Once dry which is pretty quick, use the safety wire at either end of the grip. I don't think it keeps the grip tight so much as it prevents water from sweat and other sources from getting in there. I also feel that hot weather, warm hands and hard pulling in technical terrain twists and stretches the grips which ultimately causes them them to become loose. This is particularly so for single density soft grips although OURY grips seem to be exempt from this problem. Too fat for me though.

Joe Pozer

Mullet Head
Aug 22, 2001
Redwood City
Well, I did have to resort to 3M spray adhesive so I know I'll have a fun time trying to take off the grips.

I think I will order up a pair of ODI's for next time and save me the hassle.

Jul 1, 2001
Humboldt Nation
They will come off more easily than you may think. Get yourself a utility knife or a single edge razor blade and carefully split the grip lengthwise while lifting one side or the other to keep the rubber in the air so you don't cut into the finish on your bars.

I haven't tried the ODI grips yet but I found another brand that has clamping ends but I don't recall the name and I haven't installed them yet. They are in a box in the garage. I've been told the self clamping grips tend to run a bit thicker but this won't affect me adversely, I have large hands.

Merwin5_10

Don't Mess With Texas!
Jul 6, 2001
Austin, Texas
Yeti makes clamping grips but I can't remember the name of them. I've riden on them once and I liked them. I don't like the 20 bucks you gotta spend on the clamps + the 15-20 bucks you gotta spend on the grips. 45 bones for grips? Ouch!

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
ODI make all those grips themselves. I guess they pay Yeti and Intense a few coins to use the logos and names. The other brand of clamp on that I know of is Serfas. They are pretty comfy for me. But they can be a total pain to get off. Not so easy to cut as the inner is really hard. The ones I had had a thin layer of soft rubber on the inside of the grip and it stuck to to the bar. It seemed to get balled up which made it more tight when I took them off. They were destroyed by the time I got them off. On the plus side I learned some new cusses. &^%$((%&&)*&$##@$*_)_)*%^%??>">"%$#@@

Banga

Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Wellington, New Zealand
I always used to use compressed air to get the grip on to the bar and use wire or small zip ties to stop any Water/mud getting underneath them on my bikes never had a grip come off.
If I had the money or there was a bloody importer for ODI in our country i would proberbly get some lock jaws.

thatoneguy

Monkey
Sep 6, 2001
N. California
you could be running into the problem of it not being smooth enought to work with hairspray. Water soluble solution is hair gel, cheaper the better. Next thing would be patch glue, you don't have to use too much...

shocktower

Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Molalla Oregon
How about this get some emery cloth and rough up the protapers or any shot peaned alloy bar and commpressed air that is all I use ,This is how first you sand the length of the bar which the grip covers with the emery cloth or a belt sander belt turned inside out do a good job, now take the blaster ( that thing that blows air ) and blow the grip out ( I know why do you want to do that well heres why there is a release agent still inside the grip thats why they slip off the mould and you bars ;) ) this cleans it ,Now put you end caps in , you use those dont you:confused: , and push your grips on you might need some air to help get it on ,I have been doing this for ever and a day my grips rarely slip the only time they slip is if they get torn and get dirt inside ,Also it helps if you wear gloves while riding BTW I only use OURY gips there is no better :p try this method:D