Quantcast

Grocery Shopping by Bike

Jr_Bullit

I'm sooo teenie weenie!!!
Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
Heheh, an excerpt from "a day in the life" of Junior...especially amusing when there is no longer a car, yet I continue to pretend I can do all the same things by bicycle.

I think I embarrassed the grocery store last night...or at least, they all sure hurried to help me load my backpack and get out of there ;)....

And why do cars slow down and look at you weird if you're carrying 50lbs of groceries on your back (and yes, it was 50 lbs! I weighed myself with the backpack on when I got home). I was down to a jar of pickles and a thing of pesto and some beer in my fridge at home...and I had a stack of coupons so I figured, heck ...why not? It's only 10 miles to the store where the coupons work...

Also, when swinging your leg over your saddle while wearing a 50lb pack, be very careful, especially when wearing clipless shoes and you're standing on pavement....very easy to lose balance and fall flat on your bum!

I know I don't qualify as part of the injured club, but since I'm handicapped by location until my baby gets back outta the shop with her pretty new paint job, new hood, new bumper, new fenders, new wheel wells, uhm, and a whole buncha other new things, I thought you might be amused by the life-by-bike stories :D

Jr_Bullit

Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
They told me 10 days to two weeks...it got dropped off on Monday after work....

What I can't get over is I'm paying Wayyy more for labor then I am for parts...sigh...but for this one I gotta keep the insurance-mongers happy...

I should have it back before the weekend after this one...so before the 28/29 - which is good, cuz I wanna go back up and ride the shore again! ;)

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
Two weeks! Wow, thank goodness you live close to work.

I think I'll be ready to ride Tiger next week. If you wanna come Kevin can just pick you up at your place after work :)

Jr_Bullit

Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
Snacks said:
Two weeks! Wow, thank goodness you live close to work.

I think I'll be ready to ride Tiger next week. If you wanna come Kevin can just pick you up at your place after work :)
Yayyy you're healed! :D And yes, I would looove to come :) Kevn works so close to my place I can always pedal on over to his work area or at least to the driveway of it...

We gonna pedal UP the trail? :D

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
Jr_Bullit said:
Yayyy you're healed! :D And yes, I would looove to come :) Kevn works so close to my place I can always pedal on over to his work area or at least to the driveway of it...

We gonna pedal UP the trail? :D
Well, I won't say that I'm totally healed. More like totally bored. I'm going to hit some trails this weekend and see how it feels.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Jr_Bullit said:
Also, when swinging your leg over your saddle while wearing a 50lb pack, be very careful, especially when wearing clipless shoes and you're standing on pavement....very easy to lose balance and fall flat on your bum!
aha! triple plastic bagged groceries then even the wieght out over each handlebar is how i used to do that.... Backpack method is way more safer methinks. :)

Jr_Bullit

Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
Skookum said:
aha! triple plastic bagged groceries then even the wieght out over each handlebar is how i used to do that.... Backpack method is way more safer methinks. :)
Yeah...I've done the tripple bag on the handlebar method before...totally no fun if you take a corner too fast or hop a curb...then the bags go swinging and then the bags are in teh wheels and the spokes are shredding your bags and you're trying to balance and ...ya...no fun! Backpack method you still have to be careful with, but you're not balancing a pendulum and shaking big S's down the sidewalk...