grocery shopping

how often do you go grocery shopping?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

lovebunny

can i lick your balls?
Dec 14, 2003
San Diego, California, United States
how often do you guys go grocery shopping? my GF says every 3 weeks and i say once a week. honestly i think i would prefer to do smaller shopping every week than do a huge trip once a month. how do you guys do it?

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Usually there is the big ($150) trip every 2 weeks. But there is at least one trip (sub $50) about once a week.

Veggies don't last more than a week anyway, so that is what most short runs consist of.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Usually every other Sunday, though sometimes I'll go on a weeknight if I was away/busy all weekend. Then again, living alone and having a somewhat crazy schedule, I rarely find myself at home cooking often......

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
My mom goes every 2-3 weeks, so I find myself picking up bread, veggies, tofu, misc things probably 2-3 days a week. Good thing there's a local farm (There is quite literally a farm a in the middle of an east bay suburb that is less than a mile from my house) as well as a good fresh produce store a half mile the other direction

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
the bulk of our stuff is purchased once a week, though there are usually a couple of small stops during the week as well.
Same thing. Usually get stuff every two weeks or so that will last a while. I usually only buy fruits/veggies/meat when I need it. I don't really like freezing meat. I usually just buy whatever is on sale and plan a meal around that unless I want something specific.

Mr Jones

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2007
My wife shops weekly but often calls me if she needs me to pick up something extra on the way home. We hit up costco once or twice a month to pick up large consumables like toilet paper, dog food, tooth brushes, frozen stuff, and beer.

Crashby

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Rochester, NY
I kid you not... I go every 7-8 weeks. I only drink skim milk and OJ, so I freeze 6 gallons of mike and 1 gallon of OJ and put the rest in the main fridge. I bake my own bread and drink the occasional V8 juice for veggies as I hate hate hate eating the real thing. I also freeze bananas for banana bread I make frequently (you need them mushy anyway to bake). I take plenty of vitamins and am as healthy as a horse (or jackass).
I spend about $250 per trip for myself.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
I go about every three days now.
Mainly because I don't eat anything from a can, box, or bag.
I make a quick loop around the outside of the grocery store getting fruits, veggies, and meat.
The only items I can eat from the center of the store are natural peanut butter, nuts, and sometimes tuna.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
during the summer we go to 2 different farmers markets a week plus we make many runs to the coop. about all we stock up on is grains, rice, legumes & we dont each much meat (L eats none).

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
When I was younger, my brother and I would easily go through a gallon a day of milk. My mom would have to tell us to lay off because she hated having to go to the store every day or every other day to buy milk.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Don't tell her about the freezing trick. She'll be pissed. :D
My mom would always go grocery shopping on Saturday or Sunday morning. I remember the days that literally by 3-4pm both gallons of milk would be gone, along with most of the other stuff she bought. I think she would have bought more at a time, but didn't have anywhere to put it. Gallon jugs take up a lot of room in the fridge...

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
I go a few times a week. But I don't ever do any major shopping. Single, young and live alone - so I don't really plan out meals...helps that the store is right near my house.

tmx

aka chromegoddess
Mar 16, 2003
Portland
I kid you not... I go every 7-8 weeks. I only drink skim milk and OJ, so I freeze 6 gallons of mike and 1 gallon of OJ and put the rest in the main fridge. I bake my own bread and drink the occasional V8 juice for veggies as I hate hate hate eating the real thing. I also freeze bananas for banana bread I make frequently (you need them mushy anyway to bake). I take plenty of vitamins and am as healthy as a horse (or jackass).
I spend about $250 per trip for myself.
Impressive!