Quantcast

Group Purchases

Jimmy_Pop

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2002
Phoenix, Az USA
In another hobby I had, parts were expensive. much more so than MTB. Those related message boards would have forums dedicated to Group Purchases.

>>>>EXAMPLE of how it worked:
Two weeks from today, there will be a group purchase of XYZ item. This item retails for $x.xx and the GP price will be $x.xx. this GP will be open for orders for 5 days, May 15-20th. There must be a minimum of 10 orders for the GP to happen. <<<<<

This helps the buyer. This also helps the seller generate a quick cash volume and even make the buy-in on a new line w/o have to come up with out of pocket cash.

RM is such a cool site and it is a BIG site. I'd think you could open a GP forum for retailers/distributor to post GP specials. Maybe have the GP forum be free to the retailers but the members would have to pay a fee to access the forum, kind of a VIP Ridemonkey membership. I'd suggest making the GP forum free to the retailers and free to the members for the first year and let it grow and develop itself. But let it be known that the GP forum will eventually turn into a pay-for-access. Keep it cheap though.

joel

let the GP's begin.

I'd like a D2, a saftey jacket, and a V-10 frame

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Id like a Intense 5.5, Fox RLC 125, hot tub, Ford F250, AC for my house........ oh wait I got carried away there for a minute.;)

This is a good idea, but it's usually hard to get enough people together to do a mass buy. They use to do mass buys on another forum I belong to with 66-77 bronco parts. It was easier when everyone has the same product to build on. With bikes everyone's part builds are different and there are a lot of choices. It is a good idea if we all needed the same part.

Anyone have an idea we could do a mass buy on?

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
joel how did you work out the shipping on these group buys, is that up to the seller to send items out to individuals or did someone act as a hub?

Jimmy_Pop

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2002
Phoenix, Az USA
Once the item was identified and price set. Buyers would contact the seller and give all their information; name address CC numbers ETC. It is considered an order. i would only deal with someone who is a legit distributor. no cash in an envelope and hope your stuff shows up.
it has to be above board and a way for a company to make alittle $$ for making a few phone calls.

Once the final person of the group places their order, the products are ordered, CC's are charged, items shipped etc.

Gp's are not for the person who has to have the item right away. It works best for big ticket items or items that you'll use as upgrade or spare parts.

MTB items can easliy be GP'd. Ofcourse it would be for items that can fit numerous bikes yet have the same price. 5th Element Ti springs are probably the same $$ for any bike. Hadley hubs will probably be the same price for front or rear no matter color or hole ct. TLD helmets ETC.

The idea is to choose items that have the same $$ for any application.

joel