Group ranks mountain bikers lower than rattlesnakes

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
:nuts:

Group sees mountain bike plan as threat to rattlesnakes
Associated Press | April 8 | MICHAEL VIRTANEN

ALBANY, N.Y. -- The Adirondack Park Agency has approved a management plan that would permit mountain bikes in a state forest by Lake Champlain, though an environmental group says the cyclists threaten some of the few remaining rattlesnakes in the region.

"It's not easy defending a poisonous reptile," said John Sheehan, spokesman for the Adirondack Council, which wants the bikes kept out. "But there are so few statewide, we feel that losing one or two to a mountain bike would be a tragedy."

The state Department of Environmental Conservation drafted the unit management plan intended to balance ecological issues and public use in the 3,700-acre Split Rock Mountain Wild Forest in the towns of Essex and Westport. It was subject to review by the APA, which regulates development in the 6 million acre Adirondack Park.

The unit management plan designates about 9 miles of existing trails and former logging roads in the forest for hiking and another 5 miles of existing trails for mountain biking.

APA spokesman Keith McKeever said the plan approved Thursday puts bike trails away from areas rattlesnakes are known to congregate. He said the DEC put in another safeguard: monitoring to check if biking harms trails and wildlife.

However, Sheehan said monitoring will be difficult. A dead snake won't last long among scavengers.

The eastern timber rattlesnake is listed as a threatened species in New York. The Adirondack Council said that means by state estimates there are fewer than 100 left in upstate wilderness. Killing or collecting them is illegal.

However, the DEC estimates the rattlesnake population at 3,000 to 6,000 statewide, spokeswoman Maureen Wren said. Most are in the Hudson Highlands area, but there are at least 12 known dens around Lake George and Lake Champlain, each potentially having from a few snakes to more than 100, she said.

The DEC had already considered the council's concerns, but said all-terrain bikers use parts of the Lake George Wild Forest that includes the Tongue Mountain Range, with no reports of biker-rattlesnake incidents. While there's a chance for encounters, the agency said signs informing visitors should minimize the risk.

According to state wildlife officials, the snakes generally measure 3 to 4.5 feet and live 16 to 22 years in rugged terrain in hardwood forests. They are active from late April to mid-October and hibernate in winter dens. The snakes have yellow and black coloration phases with brown or black crossbands that help them hide easily. With horny segments on their tails, they also make the telltale rattle or buzzing sound when disturbed.

The DEC advises keeping a safe distance.

"Contrary to popular opinion, rattlesnakes won't pursue or attack humans unless threatened or provoked," the agency says.

Once found in most of New York's mountainous and hilly areas, they're now in isolated populations in the eastern Adirondacks, the Southern Tier and southeastern part of the state. Bounties were outlawed in 1971.

They have a venomous bite that can kill people if left untreated, but officials say there have been no fatalities in New York for decades.

___

On the Net:

http://www.apa.state.ny.us

http://www.dec.state.ny.us

http://www.adirondackcouncil.org

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
I say, the less rattlesnakes the better. I think we need a good ol' fashioned Whacking Day!

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
i almost ran into a timber rattler a few years back, i got scared! :eek: Then i thought it was funny. It wigged me out because i thought it was a funny looking green stick at first, haha.

J

JRB

Ciaran said:
I say, the less rattlesnakes the better. I think we need a good ol' fashioned Whacking Day!
:stupid: I hate to call it a whacking day. That usually entails something else. I do hate snakes.

x-vert

Monkey
Feb 4, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
The eastern timber rattlesnake is listed as a threatened species in New York.
well once they all die out... they can go to the next state and get more... no biggie

i hate snakes too..... i think snakes are a bigger threat to bikers than bikers being a bigger threat to stupid snakes.

jaydee

Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
Victoria BC
I'll bet you that big stupid SUVs kill way more snakes than mountain bikers, not to mention humans and just about every other living thing that tries to cross the highway. They won't be banning those POSs any time soon though. Maybe if we could find a way to make mountain bikes burn ludicrous amounts of fossil fuels we'd have a chance.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
x-vert said:
well once they all die out... they can go to the next state and get more... no biggie

i hate snakes too..... i think snakes are a bigger threat to bikers than bikers being a bigger threat to stupid snakes.
Just cuz you have a fear of an animal you shouldn't wish extinction of a species, did you know at one time there were Whooly Mammoths running around the states? Can you imagine how cool that would have been riding into a herd of those suckers. In Austrailia there used to be meat eating kangaroo's, how trippy is that.
The problem is that alot of organizations or company's will lean on the sentimentality of a species being endangered to push their agenda. Weherhauser (Big logging company) actually used the whole spotted owl deal as an issue to cover up the fact that they overlogged with too much clearcut to ship raw lumber overseas making bank. But really all the while they were just manuevering to get higher profit margin by squeezing out the little guy and driving down labor costs. Now as an end result all the mills in Washington have shut down operations, and in all the small towns many many loggers bore the brunt of the blame, and were replaced by machinery that does the same thing to the environment. Weherhauser smells like a rose does the same amount of logging and ships all of it's timber out raw. And the spotted owl is pretty oblivous to all of this.
So anyways it just sounds like this is the same kind of deal only on a much smaller scale. To push an agenda blame someone who may or may not be culpable and use that to get what you want, great equation, works effectively, look at Iraq.