Quantcast

Group vs. one-on-one instruction

brettlj

Chimp
Apr 15, 2018
I've been mountain biking for about 3 years, and in that time I've taken two group clinics. One was solid and really helped me progress, the other was somewhat helpful, but definitely not worth the money I paid (in spite of supposedly being for intermediate level riders is was definitely geared more towards beginners).

Anyway, I'm considering using a local coach for one-on-one instruction but my past experience and the cost/hour makes me hesitant. Anyone have experience with both types of instruction that can speak to the pros/cons of individual instruction? Any suggestions on questions I should ask potential one-on-one coaches beforehand? Any advice appreciated!

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I've done a lot of one-on-one and group instruction. Although an idea with group instruction is everyone can learn from everyone else, I generally found it was far less effective, the actual "learning" would proceed only at the pace of the slowest learner and simply burn time for everyone else, possibly even un-doing any progress made by those people. Then you have all the group dynamics, people that are uncomfortable being critiqued or seen by a group "messing up", it makes it less ok to make mistakes, and so on. One on one targets much better and generally the people being taught are pretty clueless, so their ability to really "help" each other in group-learning should be pretty limited, otherwise, they'd be teaching the class or not need it in the first place. In some settings, we use group-learning because there's no good alternative and we don't have the time and resources to one-on-one with everyone, but if it's possible, that's what I recommend.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
Check out this dude's videos. He's a bit of a kook but I really like the way he breaks down skills. I've been making my girlfriend watch these and I think it's helping her.

He also walks you through some drills and ways to practice

The GMBN guys have some good skills videos but they are way more like me in that they know how to do it but not always how to explain it.

KenW449

Thanos did nothing wrong
Jun 13, 2017
Floating down the whiskey river...
Check out this dude's videos. He's a bit of a kook but I really like the way he breaks down skills. I've been making my girlfriend watch these and I think it's helping her.

He also walks you through some drills and ways to practice

The GMBN guys have some good skills videos but they are way more like me in that they know how to do it but not always how to explain it.

Phil is awesome, he is a pro DH racer, he actually has a RM account that he hasn't used in years haha. I remember seeing it on the birthdays once.
Seth's bike hacks also has some good tutorials.