Quantcast

Grove is at it again!!

prana.ferox

Chimp
Aug 24, 2006
Seattle, WA
The crisscrossed top tube and downtube is a terrible idea, basically negating all the inherent strength of a triangular frame. At the point where they intersect, your mainframe is basically just a down tube. That point is without a doubt the weakest point in the mainframe, and is really there for no reason at all other than looks. I dont doubt that it will probably hold up just based on overbuilt-ness, but structurally speaking it is an awful design.:plthumbsdown:
I'm with Hulk on this one. Every time you land a jump and apply an upward force to the headtube, that intersection is basically acting like a pivot between the two triangles in the mainframe and trying to bend the downtube.

A well designed structure (like, you know, a regular two triangle frame) directs as much force as possible along the length of the tubes instead of attempting to bend them.

All that said... It looks sweet, and, like Hulk said, the fact that it's chromo and overbuilt means it most likely won't be problem... this is not exactly Formula 1 after all. Besides, the GT three-triangle design has survived for lord knows how long despite a similar "engineering common sense thrown out in favor of looking cool" approach, so what the hell?

A Grove

Monkey
Nov 20, 2007
State College, PA
purely out of interest, how much would one of these babies set a customer back?
A frame similar to mine would set you back around $650-$700 depending on what little tweaks you may want done. That would also include a fairly basic paintjob - the more complex the paint, the higher the cost.

Thanks a ton,
-Aaron

wildskycomet

Chimp
Apr 10, 2008
I own the fall foliage Assault and still have the matching Hot Rods on there. Did I understand that you used the XT external BB cups to "support" your cranks? I was going to try to locate replacement bearings that would have to fit into the replacement cups I got from Bill a "million years" ago, but the XT thing would be pretty handy.

A Grove

Monkey
Nov 20, 2007
State College, PA
The Cranks you see are the new version of the hotrods. The NEW version is supported by shimano(or any other outboard for the most part) outboard bearings...

Drop me a PM if you are still looking for replacement bearings... We MIGHT have something laying around.

BikeSATORI

Monkey
Apr 13, 2007
one world...
I own the fall foliage Assault and still have the matching Hot Rods on there. Did I understand that you used the XT external BB cups to "support" your cranks? I was going to try to locate replacement bearings that would have to fit into the replacement cups I got from Bill a "million years" ago, but the XT thing would be pretty handy.
If you know the exact inner diameter, outer diameter, and width of the original bearings check out "boca-bearings" .com. They'll hook you up no problem, with just about any grade of bearing you would ever need, including ridiculously priced over-bling full ceramic bearings, seals and all..... or just regular ceramic, or stainless, or cheap loose-ball, whatever. Prices aren't too bad and shipping is quick and precise. Sorry if this seems like a plug at business, I have no affiliation with them, but these guys have gotten me out of plenty of tight spots where I needed bearings I could not have otherwise sourced. They have plenty of experience with bicycle components as well. I figured it would be worth mentioning since this is your first post that may be the only information you are seeking...