Quantcast

Grownups on lil bikes...

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
Jake's been getting some quality shots lately. You may have seen some of these posted on LD.

Brian Terada

Kevin

Me

Heath Pinter

Andrew Jackson

Pat Wang (only 16... so not exactly a grownup, but he kills)

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
Tell that dude Kevin his un-lookbacks are sweet! He gets them contorted.

Like the Euro-table too, Cru :thumb:

Mr Tiles

I'm a beer snob
Nov 10, 2003
L-town ya'll
I wish we had an indoor closer.
how many times have we said that Beerz???

awesome shots, pimp berm slider cru!

When I read the title, it made me think how some view adults on 20s, i.e. what they think are kid's bikes. I was at lunch yesterday with a guy that rides road bikes. He made a comment along the lines of how grown up men don't really have any business on a bike like that b/c they'd look dumb with skinned up elbows and broken bones...I just laughed...I've seen some pretty effed up road bike injuries...

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
When I read the title, it made me think how some view adults on 20s, i.e. what they think are kid's bikes. I was at lunch yesterday with a guy that rides road bikes. He made a comment along the lines of how grown up men don't really have any business on a bike like that b/c they'd look dumb with skinned up elbows and broken bones...I just laughed...I've seen some pretty effed up road bike injuries...
And roadies don't look dumb with their neon/bright outfits, ballet shoes, shaved legs, and bikes w/ 10 or less spokes?

And like you said Tiles they get some pretty bad injuries as well.

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
The whole "You are too old for that" thing (bikes, skateboards, dirt bikes etc) is such bullsh!t. I had this discussion with a guy I work with a couple of days ago. He's asking me why I "waste my time" on that stuff. He's like 100 lbs overweight. I just held my arms out and looked down at myself. One of the woman we work with laughed REALLY loud at this and proceeded to tell the entire office. He's avoiding me now.

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
Yeah, sorry for the title... I made sure I didn't call them kids bikes. And they are only lil bikes because this is a mtb forum.

I don't hear much of that anymore now that I'm in So Cal. It seems like everybody is into some kind of "action" sport and if not, they at least respect it. Although, I still hear stuff like "you're crazy" when I'm at work scabbed up. Back when I was in the midwest, it was definitely looked down upon more.

Yeah, Tiles, I'm loving the 20, but I still switch it up. I was dirt jumping on my Simple just the other day. I actually love how I feel on the bigger bike after I've been riding the smaller one for awhile... it feels like I can do anything!

Eaterofdog, that's hilarious.

tmx

aka chromegoddess
Mar 16, 2003
Portland
Great shots. Three cheers to the elderly.

There was a dude in his late 50's at the BMX races a few weeks ago doing the freestyle jump session. Propers.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
I remember when I was 17 and everyone got cars, kids in town stopped riding and EVERYONE gave me and my one friend that rode sh1t for still riding bikes. that was 20 years ago, and I'm STILL riding a little bike.

It keeps me young, healthy at times (I had back surgery 9 months ago) and I enjoy it. Why would I stop?

Nice pics!

jasride

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2006
PA
at what age does one become a grownup?
Last summer I was walking my bike through my backyard, grass about ankle high, when my neighbor looked at me and said " Are you ever going to cut your grass?" I dropped my bike, turned around, whipped it out, and as I was urinating, I turned over my left shoulder and said, "I'm headed to the trails, I'll be back later. I was 29yrs old at the time.

great photos man!

Oct 9, 2006
26 and still having fun...doing things that I enjoy while everybody else is getting married and squeezing out young'uns....why just last week I got to have......

This Much Fun!!!

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
The whole "You are too old for that" thing (bikes, skateboards, dirt bikes etc) is such bullsh!t. I had this discussion with a guy I work with a couple of days ago. He's asking me why I "waste my time" on that stuff. He's like 100 lbs overweight. I just held my arms out and looked down at myself. One of the woman we work with laughed REALLY loud at this and proceeded to tell the entire office. He's avoiding me now.
Too funny but sad in a way. There's a lot of guys that are really interested in activities and sports but more from watching it. The closest they come to playing is being in fantasy leagues.

I do play ice hockey with a bunch of guys that are in their 40's and 50's (and a few that are in their 60's). I figure if they can go out and play hockey at that age, I can still ride my bike to the best of my ability. There were a few guys at Ray's that I'm guessing are near the 40 mark and riding very good - hitting the bigger lines with wicked style and all smooth.

Last summer I was walking my bike through my backyard, grass about ankle high, when my neighbor looked at me and said " Are you ever going to cut your grass?" I dropped my bike, turned around, whipped it out, and as I was urinating, I turned over my left shoulder and said, "I'm headed to the trails, I'll be back later. I was 29yrs old at the time.

great photos man!
Awesome!

The only problem I have with the photos is the lack of helmets, the sixteen year old is one of the two wearing them. I dont care how solid you are, you are going to crash eventually

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
Yeah, I'm def not a grownup... I should have named the thread "Big kids on lil bikes." Mr Kevin the style cat up there is in his 40s. There's a dude at one of our trails spots pushing 60. He actually catches some good air.

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
i still get constantly clowned on for riding bikes still. dont care though girls seem to like it and i dont want to do anything else (except fly fish all day everyday)

t1maglio

Monkey
Oct 29, 2001
southern wisconsin
Ya, I'm a teacher and it blows my kids minds when they find out I ride. Especially when they find out I really CAN ride. I have Ride BMX posters all over my classroom, gotta represent.

The best part is it gives me a great in to talk to the skaters who usually don't fair well in school (not to stereotype, but its true). We talk about parks and tricks and they do their work.

Anyways, I figure I have a long way to go before I'm the same age as Mirra and Hoffman. It just hurts a lot more to fall.

Oh, and Dexter, I JUST got the tire. Thanks a bunch man, can't wait to get it on a bike.

ebrider510

Monkey
Dec 7, 2006
Bay Area, CA
i'm at the age (17.5ish) where a lot of people quit having their so called "kid" fun and try to act like tough sh!t which usually means bike riding is out. i have a good group of friends who still love it as much as i do. i know some people don't get it and think i should just waste gas all day in my truck like they do but i could really care less.

it's funny because a lot of times when people ask "so where do you usually go to ride, the mountains and stuff right?" then i say "well sometimes, but a lot of times i just ride around town and find stuff.." that's usually where i lose them.:busted:

nice pics!

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
That's classic! My youngin' brings out the youngin' in me. and he loves bikes too...

Awwwww, how cute. Does he have like a trike or big wheel to shred on?

And if one more helmet nazi pops up on this thread, I'm going to jump through the screen and smack them. Helmetless is part of bmx... either accept it, ignore it, or fyck off. People are free to do with their heads as they wish.

ZD, WCH, and I just witnessed Hucker Mike flip and 3 the 30 footer at the HIV. Some of the crazyest stuff I've ever seen. :shocked:

Mr Tiles

I'm a beer snob
Nov 10, 2003
L-town ya'll
Is levan back up to par? I haven't heard anything?

cru - that wild man in the pick is starting to pedal his trike - he's only 21 months. I figure by the time he's two, he be doing can can front flips in the driveway :)