Quantcast

Growth?

OB1

Monkey
Whats the deal? Last year we had 2 DH races in NC. This year, we have 5...including a 3 race series at a new venue. Being that I LIVE in NC...I could be bias. But is DH hitting a growth spurt? I haven't been around DH for long. Some of you would have the real skinny on that.

5150dhbiker

Turbo Monkey
Nov 5, 2007
Santa Barbara, CA
bummer, I thought this was a thread about penile enlargement.
HAHAHAHAHAAHA

Anyways, I think there's a slight growth but not too much of one. With this economy not too many people are going around spending thousands of dollars on DH bikes and especially money on racing.

Over this season I've noticed a decline in the Cat 1 numbers and more beginner/sport riders coming through the ranks so ya..there's gotta be some kind of growth. Really hoping the sport would hurry up and take off quickly :D

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I seem to see more and more places opening up for riding...but less and less riders at each. Plattekill is nigh on empty on off weekends, so was whiteface, jiminy, even highland didn't have a ton of people....but I've only been there once this season. To be honest, I'm not sure how some of the smaller places will survive, like Jiminy, Catamount, Attitash, Sunday river, Killington...the places with larger commitments will continue on through, but are all the people just at the bike "parks" like diablo and highland?

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Fairly sure there's more races than ever in the UK at the moment. My calendar shows 40+ this year, only about 30 last year.

cneums

Monkey
Jul 9, 2009
Maryland, USA
the thing about smaller places staying open is that, at least in my case, my friends and i like to get around (heh..) to various parks to experience the different things they have to offer, so while we might go to a large park, we'll also go to a small one. which, is in turn good for the parks cause they all get business.

OB1

Monkey
I guess resort/park operators would be a good group to ask. Any of those on here? I have the same feeling as Sandwich. Seems like more races and more places. But maybe less riders. Hard to tell for sure. Somebody must track this sort of thing. A magazine or sanctioning body maybe?

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
sometimes it seems like less riders because theres 2 or 3 races going on the same weekend, so people spread out.

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
Yeah there are a ton of races this year. I was just looking at the schedule you created OB1 this summer is packed on the east coast seems like theres something going on every weekend through halloween. Good to see especially after such a rough season last year. $4/gal fuel costs hurt everyone.

Not exactly dh related but i read an article at Vail saying new skiiers this year dropped 12% and snowboarders dropped 1%.

Metal Dude

Turbo Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
Smackdonough, GA
As far as the SE and I would guess most places these days- it's all about the riders making it happen.
Some of the venues in the SE are "Old-New P@#ssy" so to speak.
As for Beech maybe she even got a recap on that thang, hhahaaha
Seriously though, The scene is like BMX or any other. It has had peaks
and valleys over the past 15 years.
Venues that close for whatever reasons have to be re-convinced that they "need" Mountain biking there.
We just have more trail building advocate riders now, who aren't going to take the fact that there aren't any trails or races in their area for an excuse!
Proactive riders are on the surge! Hopefully popularity of the Sport will follow.

Last edited:

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
I know it gets said all the time, and we have less far to drive than you guys, but $8/gallon over here!

Metal Dude

Turbo Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
Smackdonough, GA
Huh, huh... He said Salami

Want a bigger Penis? Beat it with a hammer til it swells up...

Or you could glue it to your stomach so it never goes down?
Heard that one today on AM radio some guy was 2 timing his
girls so they got together tied him up and superglued his erect
penis to his belly. Likely to receive 6yrs imprisonment for said act.

Last edited:

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Want a bigger Penis? ....
I just bought a fun house mirror and stand in front of it naked.
My dong is long, but my knees are right above my feet.;)

And as far as racing in the Southeast goes, I could not be more stoked on the progress. Just in Banner Elk alone, there is three killer Dh race courses all within 15 minutes of each other. Only 2 hours from my house. It was perfect timing for me as having a baby at home, I can't travel as far on the weekends now. As a matter of fact, I have been more pumped up on riding in general this year than as long I can remember.
I can't wait to race at Beech this weekend.