Quantcast

Grr...

Went to leave work Friday at about quarter after five and the van wouldn't start. Had to leave it in the unattended parking lot at work over the weekend with bike, gear, tools, etc. inside.

Got to work today, put in some dry gas (of course the weather failed to get up to anywhere near feezing), waited an hour, tried to start it, no luck.

Called the dealer, they send a tow truck which doesn't show up until 2:00 PM.

Only good part so far is that nobody broke into the van over the weekend and stole anything.

SilentJ

trail builder
Jun 17, 2002
Calgary AB
TN's car won't start when it's really cold. I don;t know what we are going to do when we both start driving to work.
Does it have a block heater?

Oh, and JBP, try peeing on your manifold...works every time. Report back with NO pics, please.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
TN's car won't start when it's really cold. I don;t know what we are going to do when we both start driving to work.

That was no fault of Swedish Pride. She hadn't been started in days & it was -5 outside. Don't hate on SP. :D

IRB-FTW!!!!!

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
A grand for a fuel pump?

They dont call it the "stealership" for nothing. Not saying DIY, but I bet you could get joe sixpack to do it for 2fiddy. Get the part at Autozone for $30?

Don't know. DIYs possible but with morning temperatures somewhat under zero F I aint going to try to drop the damn fuel tank with all that entails in the parking lot with the north wind blowing.

I like factory parts. They work. AutoZone parts work. Maybe. At this point I can afford to just get er done without making a project out of it beyond cadging thirty mile rides from my buds at work.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Don't know. DIYs possible but with morning temperatures somewhat under zero F I aint going to try to drop the damn fuel tank with all that entails in the parking lot with the north wind blowing.

I like factory parts. They work. AutoZone parts work. Maybe. At this point I can afford to just get er done without making a project out of it beyond cadging thirty mile rides from my buds at work.
I actually just googled that part in general for a chevy astrovan...around $300? Maybe Im thinking fuel filters are $30.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
The ones for ford Rangers range from $30-$40.
Sweet.

While you're looking at parts lists, how much for a new "DOOR AJAR" sensor?

So far that's the only thing wrong w/ my truck. The dome light stays on too long because the truck thinks the fvcking door is open. This only happens when it's cold (below 40f)

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Is it (the sensor) like a little button inside the door? Maybe sticking when it gets cold out? Hit it with some lube and see what happens.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Is it (the sensor) like a little button inside the door? Maybe sticking when it gets cold out? Hit it with some lube and see what happens.
I assumed so. No button, but there is this small paddle like lever thing.

I hit it with spray lube. Nothing.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
A grand for a fuel pump?

They dont call it the "stealership" for nothing. Not saying DIY, but I bet you could get joe sixpack to do it for 2fiddy. Get the part at Autozone for $30?

lol...yeah if you were near me I would just charge you a meal...it's not that hard and should probably only take about 2 hrs at the very most!...D

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
I just went out and looked at mine (1994). It's a little black button about halfway up the door frame (front side) that I can push in w/ my finger and the dome light goes on and off. Not sure why anyone would change that design, but...can you move the "paddle" to and fro?

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
oh nad I wouldn't buy an OEM pump...that's where you get screwed...there are plenty of good after market pump out there...that are no where near as expensive. Of course I'm only going off what it cost to work with import cars...maybe domestic vans have different costs...D

So about 2.5 miles from my house I could get a bus; it has a bike rack, so if I managed to get there at 06:30 and if the bike rack's free (good bet if it's zero...) for three bucks I would be at Cherry Street in Burlington where I could just miss the bus to Colchester and either wait half an hour for a bus to a few blocks from where I work or freeze my extremities off riding another three and a half miles to work.

Then when the dealer called I could do a ten mile run to pick up the van...

Or get Eric to come down from Monkton and pick me up and get the dealer shuttle to pick me up at work...

Decisions, decisions...

oh nad I wouldn't buy an OEM pump...that's where you get screwed...there are plenty of good after market pump out there...that are no where near as expensive. Of course I'm only going off what it cost to work with import cars...maybe domestic vans have different costs...D
There are quality aftermarket parts and there are junk aftermarket parts. Unfortunately I have gotten so far from auto wrenching that I don't know schist from Shinola. Dropping a gas tank covered in frozen slush in cold weather is absolutely the sux.

Plus, I'm supposed to be using that time attending to the needs of my customers.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
I just went out and looked at mine (1994). It's a little black button about halfway up the door frame (front side) that I can push in w/ my finger and the dome light goes on and off. Not sure why anyone would change that design, but...can you move the "paddle" to and fro?
Heh heh...

The problem started with 95 and later Rangers.

The switch was moved to the latch inside the door. I need to get some dry lube to fix it.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/105594-96-ranger-dome-light.html

Why did I not find that on my last google search...:rant: