Quantcast

Grunion Run

Orvan

Mar 5, 2002
Califor-N.I.A.
For those who don't know... more info on grunions here

Anyways, I have only seen them twice and was hoping Shyrmp could witness her first earlier this morning as it is the peak season for the grunions to spawn.

Unfortunately, from the hours of 11PM - 2AM, no grunion runs took place in San Diego..maybe tonight...

In the absence of the sardines, we found thousands of these little hermits (pic below) coming out of the sands. They were sensitive to the light and quickly burrows in the sand in the slightest presence of light (our flaslights). It was freaky walking on the sand on barefeet bec they literally scrape your sole from underneath...I mean like half a dozen at a time.

Of the thousands, I grabbed one of the bigger ones and this one is ready to lay some eggs. See the orange/reddish stuff on her sides? Actually, all the hermits (if that's what they call them) I picked up were carrying eggs.

Then later on, hundreds upon hendreds (just in our small spot we stood on) of little clams came out of the sand to get carried in with the tide. It's amazing to see all these active creatures. It was amazing to watch them bury themselves quickly too when the tide rolls back in.

When you wait for the grunions, you need LOTS of patience and preoccupation. I built this sand castle -oh hell!

Thought I'd share while waiting for our afternoon ride..
We might try waiting again tonight...

Orvan

Mar 5, 2002
Califor-N.I.A.
Curb Hucker said:
Orven I've seen children that build better sandcastles than you ;)
my excuse, it was 2AM and there were teenagers making out nearby -distraction and stuff. I really I had the camera with me when you supermanned in front of us on boondocks! ;) That was classic!

Clark Kent

Monkey
Oct 1, 2001
Mpls
Sweet! A grunion run is a wild thing to see... Never could eat one though...We used to call those little critters "Sandcrabs" when I was a boy growin up in Cali... We would run out to the edge of a wave that just came in and scoop up a big handfull of wet sand and feel all the little sandcrabs tickle the palm of our hands as the instinctively burrowed down throught the sand in your hands! Good luck! Hope you get some good pics!

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
In san diego one time when I was maybe 7, on the shore I saw a 2x2' cement thing barely sticking up through the water. When I walked closer, I saw a bunch of things run into the water. I think they were grunions.