Quantcast

GT Distortion

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Yeah man, if your ever up in SLC utah let me know, we could swap rides for a bit (either DH or trail bikes).

I think its so popular because its a pretty unique bike. Its low, slack, stiff, and lively but you can still pedal it to the top. It climbs like an XC bike but you can hit large jumps (tyler mccaul used it in crankworxs and other SS competitions).
Cool man I usually get out there a couple times a year to visit a bud near cottonwood...But we usually jump right in the car and head out towards moab/fruita.

fred.r

Dwangus Bogans
May 9, 2006
Assuming GT has a Lg 2.0 in stock I'll be ordering myself one of these tomorrow!

fred.r

Dwangus Bogans
May 9, 2006
Ordered! Probably gonna hold off on riding it until I can off-load a good amount of the stock parts as "never ridden" and upgrade accordingly.

escapeartist

Turbo Monkey
Mar 21, 2004
W-S. NC
Ordered! Probably gonna hold off on riding it until I can off-load a good amount of the stock parts as "never ridden" and upgrade accordingly.
I did the same thing with mine. It was tough, but I have a much nicer build because of it. Then I moved to Korea for a year and didn't bring it with me. I'm such a jackass.

fred.r

Dwangus Bogans
May 9, 2006
Built it up last night, no rides on it yet.

I'll be selling and swapping the fork, shock, front der and shifter, rear shifter, crank set, and probably the bars. Not sure about the wheels yet.
Final build will probably be Fox Talas or Float RLC 32 or 36 (lowered), Float RP23, XT cranks 1x10, x.9 rear shifter. Stan's Flows if I replace the wheels.

climbingbubba

Monkey
May 24, 2007
wow that is sick man!! I am so jealous of the black ones and even the new blue ones. I think the only way I would ever replace my distortion would be to get a different color then the grey/purple.

I'll be getting a good weekend of desert riding in next weekend on the distortion. Can't wait. I have my DH bike all built up with new parts and I still would rather ride my distortion this weekend. Sad but the distortion is just too fun.

fred.r

Dwangus Bogans
May 9, 2006
36 Float lowered to 140mm or 32 Talas 140 w/ two position travel adjust...? Fug I dunno. Help? I'm 230lbs and will probably be riding this like any other DHer would ride an trail bike.

climbingbubba

Monkey
May 24, 2007
36 Float lowered to 140mm or 32 Talas 140 w/ two position travel adjust...? Fug I dunno. Help? I'm 230lbs and will probably be riding this like any other DHer would ride an trail bike.
Get the float 36 for sure. I have owned a revelation 150mm on another bike and didn't like it. It may have performed fine but looking down and seeing two little pencil legs (4 if you count my own ha ha) didn't inspire any confidence.

All 3 of the the people I ride with that have Distortions and another local guy who has one all have either lyrik's or float's. We are all DH guys. The whole bike is stiff feeling so do it a favor and compliment it with a rad fork.

I am in the process of upgrading my bike too. I want a KS LEV post eventually, easton havoc carbon bars, and I have a white lg1+ guide coming in tomorrow. I keep wanting to go tubeless too but am always scarred to on single ply tires but love all the benefits of tubeless.

climbingbubba

Monkey
May 24, 2007
Here is one of my friends distortions he just built up. He somehow got a white one which everyone else is jealous of. Him and his cousin own the bike shop that got mine as well. No luck finding other frames for you guys yet but the 2012's are in stock complete and you could always swap out parts and upgrade down the road.

tsoxbhk

Chimp
Mar 12, 2012
Bend, OR
Just got my Distortion 4weeks ago and its been the funnest full suspension I have ever ridden. I got the 2012 3.0. Doing upgrades as I go a week after getting it I put on Sun Ringle Charger Pros tubeless with Tioga Psycho Genius tires. Also did short cage x9 10spd xg1080 11-36 cassette and ti nitrate 10xspd kmc chain. Next will be X Fusion fork, E13 xc single cranks with 32 ring and lg1+. Last will be either a lev or new crankbrothers post. Heres a pic of it as of wheels and 10spd upgrade took over 2lbs off the stock weigth of 34.

http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/7745427/

fred.r

Dwangus Bogans
May 9, 2006
Ive got a RS Sektor Solo-Air Im trying to offload if you wanna save a bit of cash.

fred.r

Dwangus Bogans
May 9, 2006
Almost done. Still waiting on cranks and a shifter but it's finally rideable.

fred.r

Dwangus Bogans
May 9, 2006
Holy hell this bike rules. Rode it at our local DH spot. Was able to pedal it up the fire road then goof around on some single track at the top, then pointed it down the main DH line. I hit everything I hit on the DH bike fine for the most part, albeit the run isn't the most technical or gnarly DH run on the hill. The only weakness' I've noticed so far are braking power (Formula RX 180mm) and "hauling a$$" traction (Minion DHF 2.35 60a) but that's comparing to my DH bike on the DH track I know like the back of my hand. It climbs great with a 1x10 setup, feels super stiff, and handles the rough stuff like you'd expect an AM bike to handle it. The geo is spot on for its intended purpose. I dropped the fork to 120mm to climb which helps a lot though. I'm impressed.
As it sits now it's 34lbs... it will loose some weight when I take the Profiles cranks off for some Descendants and replace the generic boat anchor pedals with some CB Acids. Stans wheels might be in the near future depending on how the current wheels hold up.

climbingbubba

Monkey
May 24, 2007
I took mine for a weekend of riding down in the desert and had a blast. Did some XC on some of the days and then some NASTY DH on one of the last days. This bike handled everything great. The DH was steep, rocky and long but the slack geo on the distortion handled it great. I wasn't going DH fast but it is the first time I have ever cleared the whole run top to bottom without having to put a foot down or walk a section. (grafton mesa in virgin utah if any of you know it). Also hit some 5-8 foot drops that weekend with ease. This bike can handle anything that you can dish out.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
As it sits now it's 34lbs... it will loose some weight when I take the Profiles cranks off for some Descendants and replace the generic boat anchor pedals with some CB Acids. Stans wheels might be in the near future depending on how the current wheels hold up.
You are replacing Profiles w/ those GOD no. What will it save you 175GMS?

fred.r

Dwangus Bogans
May 9, 2006
I didn't swap them for weight purposes. I swapped them because my DJ bike needs the Profiles and Descendants are inexpensive, 1x, and durable.

tsoxbhk

Chimp
Mar 12, 2012
Bend, OR
Keeping it more for trail use?
Ya I am just seeing how light I can get it with a pretty high end build and then going from there. I have a feeling I will be putting a vengeance lowered to 140 later on in the summer and put the velvet on a 650b I have built up in my head.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
dropmachine - you really can't get this bike in Canada? Seriously, this should not be so difficult. Someone needs to handle this. The guy has money in hand.

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
Problem is, if the rumours of the Forzani Group taking over all Canadian GT sales is true, then it means the only place I can get one is Sportchek. Not horrible, but that means it will likely be assembled wrong, and if I have problems they won't know what to do.

Also means full price, which sucks.

Also more than likely means they won't have one. Sportchek is a family sports store, so the only models they'd bring in would be ones that are easily identifiable by the public. Maybe some Force bikes, some 29ers, lots of hybrids and city bikes. Stuff that makes sense really. The Distortion makes NO sense for them to bring in because they don't attract the target market that would buy that bike.

Shame, cause I think that thing rocks...

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
Hey Distortion large people...

How tall are you? Will the large fit somebody thats about 6'2 with a longer torso than legs? I plan on jamming a 70mm stem on there which should help a bit I'd think...

any feedback?

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Dropmachine... you're in Toronto right? The US border is not that far away... couldn't you just make a road trip of it and pick one up at a local(ish) shop in the US? If you rode it a bit there, you could even have the benefit of not paying (as much) taxes... Better yet, book yourself a trip to Oregon, buy there, slay some awesome trails, fly home. and don't pay any taxes on the bike.

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
Better yet, book yourself a trip to Oregon, buy there, slay some awesome trails, fly home. and don't pay any taxes on the bike.
I agree. Most excellent plan!!
Good plan in theory. Problem in my area is GT fired our awesome rep. (right after the Athertons deal) and last I heard has no replacement for him. There's only one shop in my area left that sells GT. We're getting an REI in Medford, but that's laughable... Being a GT dealer in So. Oregon has always seemed difficult...

tsoxbhk

Chimp
Mar 12, 2012
Bend, OR
Good plan in theory. Problem in my area is GT fired our awesome rep. (right after the Athertons deal) and last I heard has no replacement for him. There's only one shop in my area left that sells GT. We're getting an REI in Medford, but that's laughable... Being a GT dealer in So. Oregon has always seemed difficult...
Yo man I work at a shop in Bend thats a GT dealer. There is still close out 2011 Distortions in large left last time I checked. Sucks that they fired the old rep Adam was awesome for sure....The Atherton deal was bank rolled by GT UK. I asked about that first thing cuz I thought it was shady as well.

Last edited:

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
Yo man I work at a shop in Bend thats a GT dealer. There is still close out 2011 Distortions in large left last time I checked. Sucks that they fired the old rep Adam was awesome for sure....The Atherton deal was bank rolled by GT UK. I asked about that first thing cuz I thought it was shady as well.
Good to know... Ya hear that Jeff? Come ride here!