Quantcast

GT Distortion

• Last couple of days to enter the Ridemonkey Secret Santa!

Come exchange gifts with other monkeys! From beer, to light-up bike nuts, to custom machined holiday decorations, there's something for everyone. To participate, make sure you send your email by Moday, December 2nd.
    Click here for details and to learn how to participate.

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
Montréal, PQ
That was an awesome vid! From the PB feature, looks like the guys are running 120-140mm forks on the distortion. That makes for a really nice combo of front and rear travel. Loving this bike even more. Sucks that the availability is scarce here in Canada.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Chapel Hill, NC
Looks like the Nuke Proof Rook (to be offically announced this week) will be a good alternative (and probably easier to get) to the Distortion. It's a shame they are so scarce.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
That was an awesome vid! From the PB feature, looks like the guys are running 120-140mm forks on the distortion. That makes for a really nice combo of front and rear travel. Loving this bike even more. Sucks that the availability is scarce here in Canada.
Cross border, buy bike. Bingo! ;)

fred.r

Dwangus Bogans
May 9, 2006
I'm digging my a lot. Still getting used to this pedaling thing though... Only oversight I got a gripe about is no bottle cage mount... For a bike that can easily be classified as enduro and even is by GT, I think it's silly to leave a cage mount out.

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
Strait is on GT? Jesus they're stacked!

That vid is sick, and EXACTLY why I want that GT. From what I can figure that bike isn't about slotting into some niche category a magazine tells you to conform to, its just about having fun. It can do it all....

WANT.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
The next post from dm better be a complete build and a riding shot, otherwise, he's reached his post quota for this thread. ;)

norbar

Turbo Monkey
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Looks like a promising bike. I wonder if they will make the seat tubes a least 16inches long. Otherwise they are useless unless it's only for jumping/pumping/racing
That. The dj fully market is quite full at the moment. We need more playbikes that are pedalable. Will probably end up with the fury or spity late 2012 if no one comes with a reasonable alternative (and custom nicolai is nowhere near reasonable)

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
I haven't ridden a Distortion (or even seen one in person), but the geometry seems like a 13.8" BB height would be a little tall for a 4.5" travel bike. I'm assuming it doesn't feel that way, though? Anybody with one care to share some thoughts?

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
I guess my main curiosity is comparing to something like a Spesh SX, which has a BB height around 12.8" with 4" of travel. I've ridden one of those down a couple bermy/jumpy trails at Trestle bike park, and it shrails corners (that's a combination of shredding and railing, btw).

My inner armchair injinere can't help but wonder when a similar bike has a BB that's supposedly 1" higher.

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
I have a friend with a SPED SX, and he smashes everything on the trail. too low that thing, at least for trailriding.

Where is the GT measured from, middle of BB?

StyledAirtime

Monkey
May 24, 2006
NewZealand
its super pedalable! I own one and pedal it everywhere. BB is low but not awful low. I use it as my everyday every thing bike. except for when I want to cut loose on the zerode.

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
I talked to "Squirrel" aka Ryan LaBar last night, he was pretty impressed with the bike to say the least! He is looking forward to more rides on the bike.

norbar

Turbo Monkey
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
As for the sizing I know TT sizes can lie a bit. Does a medium distortion run like a medium trailbike or is it more compact?

climbingbubba

Monkey
May 24, 2007
I haven't ridden a Distortion (or even seen one in person), but the geometry seems like a 13.8" BB height would be a little tall for a 4.5" travel bike. I'm assuming it doesn't feel that way, though? Anybody with one care to share some thoughts?
Been gone for a while, So the bike below is mine and has a standard lower headset cup and a lowered lyrik solo air (140mm) so it is a bit taller then a stock distortion. With that said its bb height is 13 inches exactly but It pedals so well and stays high in its travel so I don't have to worry about clipping pedals.

Looking at the pic Zoro posted and this one:

I'd say it certainly *looks* lower than 13.8". I bet with a 140 mm fork on it, it's plenty low.
See above

As for the sizing I know TT sizes can lie a bit. Does a medium distortion run like a medium trailbike or is it more compact?
the medium distortion fits my two friends perfect and they are 5'6 and 5'8. I would say if you are 5'10 or higher then go with the Large. I am just under 6 feet tall and use a 50mm stem on a large and i love the fit. a bit compact but the setback seatpost helps keep it stretched out on the ups and the smaller cockpit feels great on the DH

climbingbubba

Monkey
May 24, 2007
I'll also add that these bikes are getting way popular locally. My friends who own a shop both ride one and I have one and since they have placed several orders for more. Almost everyone who rides one wants one. There are few bikes you can ride XC on minute and then hit some big drops and doubles the next. I have ridden rocky DH too and it handles it better then other AM bikes I have had in the past. Even better then my nomad. Its just a bit more rough and you get a little more tired but it is very stable. If I could only have one bike this would be it. It is so unique but at the same time so versatile that I can't think of a single bike that could replace it. I have swapped bikes several times a season for 4 years now and this is the first bike I can honestly say I won't be selling anytime soon (unless I could get my hands on a blue or black frame, the grey is ok but I love the other colors)