Quantcast

GT Distortion

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
As it sits now it's 34lbs... it will loose some weight when I take the Profiles cranks off for some Descendants and replace the generic boat anchor pedals with some CB Acids. Stans wheels might be in the near future depending on how the current wheels hold up.
You are replacing Profiles w/ those GOD no. What will it save you 175GMS?

fred.r

Dwangus Bogans
May 9, 2006
I didn't swap them for weight purposes. I swapped them because my DJ bike needs the Profiles and Descendants are inexpensive, 1x, and durable.

tsoxbhk

Chimp
Mar 12, 2012
Bend, OR
Keeping it more for trail use?
Ya I am just seeing how light I can get it with a pretty high end build and then going from there. I have a feeling I will be putting a vengeance lowered to 140 later on in the summer and put the velvet on a 650b I have built up in my head.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
dropmachine - you really can't get this bike in Canada? Seriously, this should not be so difficult. Someone needs to handle this. The guy has money in hand.

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
Problem is, if the rumours of the Forzani Group taking over all Canadian GT sales is true, then it means the only place I can get one is Sportchek. Not horrible, but that means it will likely be assembled wrong, and if I have problems they won't know what to do.

Also means full price, which sucks.

Also more than likely means they won't have one. Sportchek is a family sports store, so the only models they'd bring in would be ones that are easily identifiable by the public. Maybe some Force bikes, some 29ers, lots of hybrids and city bikes. Stuff that makes sense really. The Distortion makes NO sense for them to bring in because they don't attract the target market that would buy that bike.

Shame, cause I think that thing rocks...

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
Hey Distortion large people...

How tall are you? Will the large fit somebody thats about 6'2 with a longer torso than legs? I plan on jamming a 70mm stem on there which should help a bit I'd think...

any feedback?

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Dropmachine... you're in Toronto right? The US border is not that far away... couldn't you just make a road trip of it and pick one up at a local(ish) shop in the US? If you rode it a bit there, you could even have the benefit of not paying (as much) taxes... Better yet, book yourself a trip to Oregon, buy there, slay some awesome trails, fly home. and don't pay any taxes on the bike.

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
Better yet, book yourself a trip to Oregon, buy there, slay some awesome trails, fly home. and don't pay any taxes on the bike.
I agree. Most excellent plan!!
Good plan in theory. Problem in my area is GT fired our awesome rep. (right after the Athertons deal) and last I heard has no replacement for him. There's only one shop in my area left that sells GT. We're getting an REI in Medford, but that's laughable... Being a GT dealer in So. Oregon has always seemed difficult...

tsoxbhk

Chimp
Mar 12, 2012
Bend, OR
Good plan in theory. Problem in my area is GT fired our awesome rep. (right after the Athertons deal) and last I heard has no replacement for him. There's only one shop in my area left that sells GT. We're getting an REI in Medford, but that's laughable... Being a GT dealer in So. Oregon has always seemed difficult...
Yo man I work at a shop in Bend thats a GT dealer. There is still close out 2011 Distortions in large left last time I checked. Sucks that they fired the old rep Adam was awesome for sure....The Atherton deal was bank rolled by GT UK. I asked about that first thing cuz I thought it was shady as well.

Last edited:

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
Yo man I work at a shop in Bend thats a GT dealer. There is still close out 2011 Distortions in large left last time I checked. Sucks that they fired the old rep Adam was awesome for sure....The Atherton deal was bank rolled by GT UK. I asked about that first thing cuz I thought it was shady as well.
Good to know... Ya hear that Jeff? Come ride here!

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
That was an awesome vid! From the PB feature, looks like the guys are running 120-140mm forks on the distortion. That makes for a really nice combo of front and rear travel. Loving this bike even more. Sucks that the availability is scarce here in Canada.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Looks like the Nuke Proof Rook (to be offically announced this week) will be a good alternative (and probably easier to get) to the Distortion. It's a shame they are so scarce.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
That was an awesome vid! From the PB feature, looks like the guys are running 120-140mm forks on the distortion. That makes for a really nice combo of front and rear travel. Loving this bike even more. Sucks that the availability is scarce here in Canada.
Cross border, buy bike. Bingo! ;)

fred.r

Dwangus Bogans
May 9, 2006
I'm digging my a lot. Still getting used to this pedaling thing though... Only oversight I got a gripe about is no bottle cage mount... For a bike that can easily be classified as enduro and even is by GT, I think it's silly to leave a cage mount out.

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
Strait is on GT? Jesus they're stacked!

That vid is sick, and EXACTLY why I want that GT. From what I can figure that bike isn't about slotting into some niche category a magazine tells you to conform to, its just about having fun. It can do it all....

WANT.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
The next post from dm better be a complete build and a riding shot, otherwise, he's reached his post quota for this thread. ;)

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
A Distortion wins the Otter DS!!

Jokes aside, really versatile bike me thinks.

pic from vital