Quantcast

GT Distortion

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Looks like a promising bike. I wonder if they will make the seat tubes a least 16inches long. Otherwise they are useless unless it's only for jumping/pumping/racing
That. The dj fully market is quite full at the moment. We need more playbikes that are pedalable. Will probably end up with the fury or spity late 2012 if no one comes with a reasonable alternative (and custom nicolai is nowhere near reasonable)

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
I haven't ridden a Distortion (or even seen one in person), but the geometry seems like a 13.8" BB height would be a little tall for a 4.5" travel bike. I'm assuming it doesn't feel that way, though? Anybody with one care to share some thoughts?

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
I guess my main curiosity is comparing to something like a Spesh SX, which has a BB height around 12.8" with 4" of travel. I've ridden one of those down a couple bermy/jumpy trails at Trestle bike park, and it shrails corners (that's a combination of shredding and railing, btw).

My inner armchair injinere can't help but wonder when a similar bike has a BB that's supposedly 1" higher.

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
I have a friend with a SPED SX, and he smashes everything on the trail. too low that thing, at least for trailriding.

Where is the GT measured from, middle of BB?

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
I have a friend with a SPED SX, and he smashes everything on the trail. too low that thing, at least for trailriding.

Where is the GT measured from, middle of BB?
Aren't all bikes measured from the center of the BB? ie, the rotation axis of the crank.

StyledAirtime

Monkey
May 24, 2006
NewZealand
its super pedalable! I own one and pedal it everywhere. BB is low but not awful low. I use it as my everyday every thing bike. except for when I want to cut loose on the zerode.

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
I talked to "Squirrel" aka Ryan LaBar last night, he was pretty impressed with the bike to say the least! He is looking forward to more rides on the bike.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
As for the sizing I know TT sizes can lie a bit. Does a medium distortion run like a medium trailbike or is it more compact?

climbingbubba

Monkey
May 24, 2007
I haven't ridden a Distortion (or even seen one in person), but the geometry seems like a 13.8" BB height would be a little tall for a 4.5" travel bike. I'm assuming it doesn't feel that way, though? Anybody with one care to share some thoughts?
Been gone for a while, So the bike below is mine and has a standard lower headset cup and a lowered lyrik solo air (140mm) so it is a bit taller then a stock distortion. With that said its bb height is 13 inches exactly but It pedals so well and stays high in its travel so I don't have to worry about clipping pedals.

Looking at the pic Zoro posted and this one:

I'd say it certainly *looks* lower than 13.8". I bet with a 140 mm fork on it, it's plenty low.
See above

As for the sizing I know TT sizes can lie a bit. Does a medium distortion run like a medium trailbike or is it more compact?
the medium distortion fits my two friends perfect and they are 5'6 and 5'8. I would say if you are 5'10 or higher then go with the Large. I am just under 6 feet tall and use a 50mm stem on a large and i love the fit. a bit compact but the setback seatpost helps keep it stretched out on the ups and the smaller cockpit feels great on the DH

climbingbubba

Monkey
May 24, 2007
I'll also add that these bikes are getting way popular locally. My friends who own a shop both ride one and I have one and since they have placed several orders for more. Almost everyone who rides one wants one. There are few bikes you can ride XC on minute and then hit some big drops and doubles the next. I have ridden rocky DH too and it handles it better then other AM bikes I have had in the past. Even better then my nomad. Its just a bit more rough and you get a little more tired but it is very stable. If I could only have one bike this would be it. It is so unique but at the same time so versatile that I can't think of a single bike that could replace it. I have swapped bikes several times a season for 4 years now and this is the first bike I can honestly say I won't be selling anytime soon (unless I could get my hands on a blue or black frame, the grey is ok but I love the other colors)

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Been gone for a while, So the bike below is mine and has a standard lower headset cup and a lowered lyrik solo air (140mm) so it is a bit taller then a stock distortion. With that said its bb height is 13 inches exactly but It pedals so well and stays high in its travel so I don't have to worry about clipping pedals.

See above

the medium distortion fits my two friends perfect and they are 5'6 and 5'8. I would say if you are 5'10 or higher then go with the Large. I am just under 6 feet tall and use a 50mm stem on a large and i love the fit. a bit compact but the setback seatpost helps keep it stretched out on the ups and the smaller cockpit feels great on the DH

The thing is setback post is problematic on the limbs. I know it's not a typical climber bike and I'm a hair under 5'11'' but I use my trailbike also for fitness training (or at least I used to) so feeling cramped scares me a bit.

Squirrel

Chimp
Oct 18, 2005
Was just about to post this....

It's been a fun bike so far, and I'm just getting more comfortable on it.

For those wondering about size, I'm about 5'11" and am testing a size large Distortion. The size feels good for XC/trail and all-mountain use. That said, I think I could also fit on a medium and might have gone with if I were to use this bike as more of a freeride/jumping bike.

Last edited:

forresth

Chimp
Apr 26, 2012
Distortion - Copy.JPG

Here is my M 2012 Distortion 3.0 with a Fox 32 150MM, E13 chain guide and single 34T up front and some Straightline pedals. Bought it from a local buddy here in Oregon. Sweet bike and is a blast on the trails it is very fast!

climbingbubba

Monkey
May 24, 2007
The thing is setback post is problematic on the limbs. I know it's not a typical climber bike and I'm a hair under 5'11'' but I use my trailbike also for fitness training (or at least I used to) so feeling cramped scares me a bit.
At your height it should fit you great. It actually climbs better then any bike I have owned which includes a Nomad 2, Blur lt2, banshee spitfire, and various other longer travel bikes. It sprints like a hardtail while standing.

Squirrel

Chimp
Oct 18, 2005
Just saw an auction on EBay selling a brand new Distortion. In the details it says that they weighed in at 35 lbs. Is this correct? Can you distortion owners hit the scales and post weights and what mods from stock to compare mod weight?
The stock, size large, 2.0 that I'm riding is 34 pounds with mud and pedals on it. It does not ride like it weights that much.

sbabuser

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
Golden, CO
Not sure about the other iterations of the sx, but the 2nd gen ones came with 2 different shock shuttles. I'm running the steeper/ higher bb one on mine, and I love it as a trail bike. The slacker/ lower one was too low for pedalling uphill tho, IMO.

Skeered1

Chimp
May 16, 2012
hey fellas, whats the actual stand-over for the medium distortion? I just got a small Sanction and measured the standover at 30'' as opposed to 28'' on the GT site. I can clear the top tube but no room under the jewels. Also, for those that own a Sanction as well, how does the ride compare? TIA

Last edited:

ApolloCreed

Chimp
Feb 3, 2009
Hanover, PA
Trying to decide between a sanction or distortion ...stepped away from riding mtb 3 years ago for bmx. Expert class in gravity east series and i consider myself to be pretty smooth. Game plan is rail trail and light singletrack riding with the GF (beginner)
Other than that some tech AM and parks like mtn creek, wisp and seven springs.

I just dont want "too much" travel or "too little"

simontac

Chimp
Jul 29, 2010
Hey DropMachine.

Several 2011 Distortion 2.0's in Sportcheks right now... Newmarket for sure. $1899. They had a medium and a large. REALLY liked the large - might not be there much longer if I pull the trigger!!

Bad about Sportchek like you mentioned - but also good. Big Company wants to keep you happy, so issues will be looked after!! At least my experience.

simontac

Chimp
Jul 29, 2010
Sorry Dropmachine.

Replied to a earlier post before finishing reading and seeing you got one. And after reading all this, and a little 'parking lot test' earlier today, think I am going to get it!

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
GET IT.

I am just waiting on a good photo day to finish my write up, but jebus **** on toast what a bike! Its a retarded little thing that doesn't know what its supposed to do, so it just does it all with a smile! Hands down one of the best bikes I've ridden in a long time.

GET IT NOW.

Katz

Monkey
Jun 8, 2012
Arizona
Hi guys,

I scored a Distortion 1.0 on ebay a while ago. I got a couple of questions.

Question #1:
I weigh about 190, and I get 25% (roughly 3/8") sag with roughly 210 psi. The bike has Fox RP23 Float. At this shock pressure, it seems to use up all of travel even after landing a small (15~20" high) bunnyhop by looking at the o-ring. I haven't felt harsh bottom out yet.

Is this normal? Or should I...(a) run more pressure/less sag, (b) send the shock to Fox for service?
I apologize for a dumb question, but I've never owned a FS bike.

Question #2:
The bike has what appears to be a variation of ISCG mount. It only has 2 threaded holes instead of regular 3. What kind of chain guide am I supposed to use on this?

Thanks for your help!

aenema

almost 100% positive
Sep 5, 2008
So poll of Distortion owners, what forks have you guys settled on. Recently got a large 2011 2.0 and am not a fan of the stock sektor tk. Thinking of going Lyrik air with flush mount bottom cup in headset and lowering as needed. Wondering what others have found best.

StyledAirtime

Monkey
May 24, 2006
NewZealand
Hi guys,

I scored a Distortion 1.0 on ebay a while ago. I got a couple of questions.

Question #1:
I weigh about 190, and I get 25% (roughly 3/8") sag with roughly 210 psi. The bike has Fox RP23 Float. At this shock pressure, it seems to use up all of travel even after landing a small (15~20" high) bunnyhop by looking at the o-ring. I haven't felt harsh bottom out yet.

Is this normal? Or should I...(a) run more pressure/less sag, (b) send the shock to Fox for service?
I apologize for a dumb question, but I've never owned a FS bike.

Question #2:
The bike has what appears to be a variation of ISCG mount. It only has 2 threaded holes instead of regular 3. What kind of chain guide am I supposed to use on this?

Thanks for your help!
I run my distortion at just Above quarter sag. Doesn't seem to bottom.
Have run it softer but sometimes it was harsh.

Isgc 05 for chain guide. The third hole is on the pivot cap.
I have a 11 1.0.

Katz

Monkey
Jun 8, 2012
Arizona
I run my distortion at just Above quarter sag. Doesn't seem to bottom.
Have run it softer but sometimes it was harsh.

Isgc 05 for chain guide. The third hole is on the pivot cap.
I have a 11 1.0.
Thanks for the info.

I think I'll reduce sag a little bit and see what happens. I'm mainly concerned about the stress on frame/swing arm shock mounts from harsh bottoming out. If it still bottoms out on regular basis, I'll send the shock to Fox and ask them to increase compression damping.

I'd like to keep 2 chain rings for the time being (I'm really out of shape so I need low gear), and it doesn't look like there's enough room between the small ring and the ISCG mounts to fit a chainguide. I'll make a simple roller guide like Blackspire Stinger that would fit in place somehow.

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
Thanks for the info.

I think I'll reduce sag a little bit and see what happens. I'm mainly concerned about the stress on frame/swing arm shock mounts from harsh bottoming out. If it still bottoms out on regular basis, I'll send the shock to Fox and ask them to increase compression damping.
compression dampening won't help that much.

you need to make the shock more progressive (ie make it ramp firmer at the end of the stroke). you can do this by taking up volume in the shock. fox makes a kit for this.

aenema

almost 100% positive
Sep 5, 2008
I just threw a lyrik on my distortion and did some measurements. I currently have the lower external headset cup for a tapered fork as the stock sektor was. I put in a lyrik with a tapered and running that stock headset setup and took some measurements. It has just shy of a 66 head angle, seat angle is 73 and bb is just shy of 13 inches. Lyrik is air set at 160. My next plan is to get a zero stack lower headset for 1 1/8 steerer and swap the upper on my lyrik with a non tapered. Thinking to lose a cm up front from that and will likely throw in another travel spacer and drop it down to 150 after a little ride time to get comparison feel. That sektor TK did not do the bike any favors or justice.

Katz

Monkey
Jun 8, 2012
Arizona
I found some pics of Fox spacer kit. It seemed simple enough to machine, and I had some Delrin (hard plastic) round rod laying around, so I decided to make it myself.

Took the shock apart, and I was greeted by what used to be an O-ring.

Home-made spacer. I made an error (or two) measuring, and I ended up shaving the thickness a little more later.

Installed in the shock.

Quick 4-foot drop test.

Still got some travel left. This was with 30% sag.

A pic of the bike.