Quantcast

GT Distortion

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
I'd reckon the Ragley one would work. It's a common cableguide used on several GT models. Your local dealer should be able to procure them thru dealer service.

-ska todd

Freeridin'

Monkey
Oct 23, 2006
Colorado
Used GT Distortion frame or a new Santa Cruz Nickel....same price. Any thoughts?

Already have a dirtjumper and a DH bike. This would replace an MKiii. Unfortunately, I'll have to climb on it (hate climbing) but only to go down. My thoughts are that the Nickel will much easier to pedal. However, the distortion would be a blast at Winter Park.

Last edited:

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
The Nickel will NOT be better to pedal. If anything, I'd take the GT for pedalling over the Nickel because the GT is far more neutral in every gear. The only place I notice any bob at all is on flat stuff when pedalling at medium speed. Shock moves maybe 5mm. Its a 110mm travel bike. That little bob, don't care.

The GT hammers out of the saddle too. I have no idea how it works, but it sure as balls does.

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
Well, to be honest, no. Not if you're used to stretched out bikes. But Im 6'3, with a long torso, and have found that I can more than make it work. It'll never quite be as good as a full on XC bike, but it can work. Im also going to experiment with a slightly longer stem, 70-80 mm, and a travel adjust fork. A 2010 36 Talas would be ideal here, since you can slam it down to 100mm for climbs, 130 for standard riding about, and 160 for stupiditys sake.

fred.r

Dwangus Bogans
May 9, 2006
Backing up dropmachine.com's advice here. 6'1 and I feel a bit cramped when climbing. Currently running a 50mm stem which I'm going to swap out for a 70mm when I get the chance. Running a 120-140mm 32 Float, the geo is fine for climbing and a blast at 140mm for DH, you can seriously FLY on this bike down some pretty gnarly stuff. Perfect downhiller's trail bike IMO. Unfortunately, I believe GT only offers the Distortion in a M or L.
On a side note:
Anyone have any issues with their X-Fusion dropper?

SupraShin

Chimp
Jul 23, 2012
Toyohashi
I found some pics of Fox spacer kit. It seemed simple enough to machine, and I had some Delrin (hard plastic) round rod laying around, so I decided to make it myself.

Home-made spacer. I made an error (or two) measuring, and I ended up shaving the thickness a little more later.

Installed in the shock.

Still got some travel left. This was with 30% sag.

Thank you for your tips.
I have similar problem, easy to bottom out, but I have no machines to make though I have a skill.
Then I tried to fill amount of 7ml fork oil in the air sleeve to reduce air volume according to this article.
http://service.foxracingshox.com/consumers/Content/Service/QuickTech/FloatAirSpringSpacerProc.htm
and
http://service.foxracingshox.com/consumers/Content/Resources/tabledata/2012FLOATAirSpringTable.htm

Finally I've got a feel of something like progressive.
But still struggling when I push my bike to do manuals.
Tried 100PSI to 150PSI but nothing happened to have fun.
I'm running FLOAT R with Mid PROPEDAL(Factory set).
Does PROPEDAL do something bad on that?

Dec 29, 2011
man, after reading this entire thread, it's hard not to want a distortion! I'm riding a pitch pro right now and I absolutely love it, zero complaints. But now you've all got my head spinning. Trying to decide between a distortion, sanction, or the new force LE(out of my price range). I've got a 20" BMX race bike, USB Molly DJ, and my pitch pro. The pitch rocks for xc/am/light trail riding. I can jump small stuff with it since I'm light and I don't thrash it too hard. But I'd love something to throw some flat pedals on and really rally the downhills, jumps, flowy trails.

I'd love to take one out on the trail and see how it feels under my legs.

Climbingbubba, you're in SLC, right? Any chance you'd let me throw a leg over your bike? I know BJ and the guys at laketown well, but they can't get me anything 'till late september.

Last edited:

SupraShin

Chimp
Jul 23, 2012
Toyohashi
I would like to know about the custom tuned "FOX FLOAT RP23 Boost Valve" shock on 2012 Distortion.
If you own that, tell me the tuning signs shown below.

Boost Valve Tune :
Rebound Tune :
Velocity Tune :

Thanks,

Freeridin'

Monkey
Oct 23, 2006
Colorado

First real ride on my Distortion this weekend. Fun geometry, pedals well, stiff frame, but I need to toy around with the suspension a bit more.

Last edited:

SupraShin

Chimp
Jul 23, 2012
Toyohashi

First real ride on my Distortion this weekend. Fun geometry, pedals well, stiff frame, but I need to toy around with the suspension a bit more.
Would you take some closer shots around shocks?
Or tell me the signs on stickers wrapped around the air sleeve of the shock?

Boost Valve Tune :
Rebound Tune :
Velocity Tune :

By the way, the upper pivot often get loose and it makes noise while riding.
Have you ever experienced that problem?

And I found so much clearance around pivots.
I have lightly coated bearings with grease to prevent they get rust.
What do you think the best solution on that?

GtDad

Chimp
Feb 26, 2014
I know this is old but Just had my shock retuned rp23
boost valve to 225
velocity fast
and a .4 volume reducer
Wow what a difference
Thanks

alex_zp_ua

Chimp
Apr 15, 2014
Ukraine
hi to all
sorry for stupid question and for my bad English, but...
I can't find out what's the seatpost clamp diameter and what headset will fit my 2013 distortion 1.0? there are 44 and 46 mm top headset cap and I don't know what's the right one.

thanks
Alex

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
hi to all
sorry for stupid question and for my bad English, but...
I can't find out what's the seatpost clamp diameter and what headset will fit my 2013 distortion 1.0? there are 44 and 46 mm top headset cap and I don't know what's the right one.
Spec for the Distortion seatclamp is 34.9mm.

Headset spec is FSA GRAVITY 1/DX PRO (I/E), NO.9M/CUP/CC1.5R/NO.12B, INTERNAL ALLOY UPPER 1.5R" ACB, EXTERNAL ALLOY LOWER 1.5" ACB EXTERNAL

-ska todd

GtDad

Chimp
Feb 26, 2014
Hey just thought you guys might like to know I'm running a fox 36 lowered to 140 and using 650b front wheel now.B6er!
Seems so far to be faster on chundar ..

eimkeith

Chimp
Aug 23, 2015
Charlotte, NC
I found some pics of Fox spacer kit. It seemed simple enough to machine, and I had some Delrin (hard plastic) round rod laying around, so I decided to make it myself.

Took the shock apart, and I was greeted by what used to be an O-ring.

Home-made spacer. I made an error (or two) measuring, and I ended up shaving the thickness a little more later.

Installed in the shock.

Quick 4-foot drop test.

Still got some travel left. This was with 30% sag.

A pic of the bike.

How low did you go with the fork; shock? (I'm setting up a fox 36 and having my shock rebuilt now for my Distortion)

thanks in advance.

eimkeith

Chimp
Aug 23, 2015
Charlotte, NC
How low did you go with the fork; shock? (I'm setting up a fox 36 and having my shock rebuilt now for my Distortion)

thanks in advance.
OK, I went with a 180/140 Fox Float 36 (I'll run it at 140) - but still need guidance on the shock; mine (just purchased the frame with the shock used) needs servicing apparently, so this is next up for me...

Last edited:

eimkeith

Chimp
Aug 23, 2015
Charlotte, NC
OK, so I've started assembling my Distortion, and am running into a chain line issue, possibly because of my component selection...

My intent was to be able move my wheel set back and forth between my V1 Sovereign and the Distortion. I'm riding SS on the Sovereign, with a single cog/SS kit, and have a great chain line. On the Distortion (also 135mm rear) the cog lines up well with the YESS tensioner I'm using, but the front sprocket on the Saint crankset is in another zip code.

Have I made a mistake with the Saint cranks? I'm attracted to their weight/strength ratio, and the set up I have is for 73mm BB, so I assumed it would be workable...

Advice greatly appreciated.

Oh, and BTW it looks like I'll come in at 32.35 pounds (depending on how long the chain ends up being.)

2011 Distortion Large Frame
Fox Float 36 Talas 180/140
Gamut Cillos Stem
Deity Dirty30
Saint Cranks
Xpedo Spry pedals
Mavic 729/DT Swiss Onyx Rear, White Industries Front
Continental Mountain Kings 2.4
Stylo seat post/Specialized saddle from college (the 90s!)
Formula The One brakes, 203/160
(I think that's it...)

ulvaskar

Chimp
Dec 12, 2012
Just jumping in this thread.... I´m looking for a Distortion in large. I do have US/UK/CAN shipping adresses if needed..
PM me what you´ve got!